Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

  • Country


Seller's Statistics:

  • 0
  • 0
  • 0

as012a2568 last won the day on November 27

as012a2568 had the most liked content!

About as012a2568

  • Rank
  • Birthday 02/12/1960

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

664 profile views
  1. Hi nathanielr, Sorry I don't have a link to anything specific. There is a really good website for this kind of thing called DocMartin's surgery for Expats which has a whole host of important info although in this instance you just need to take a trip to the local tax office with your accountant if you have one. Web: https://docmartinssurgeryforexpatsinturkeyblog.wordpress.com Like you I already had a tax file number from having previously lived in Turkey. This makes things a lot easier for you. If you speak Turkish then all you need to do is to go to your local tax office ( Vergi Dairesi ) and complete a declaration form ( beyaname ) applying for tax status. The certificate then takes about a week or so to arrive. It isn't difficult and you might get lucky and find someone in the tax office that speaks English or German if you don't have anyone to help you. It will help if your employer writes a letter explaining that you are applying for tax status in Turkey and confirming that they are employing you from their base in Germany. Also take any pay slips, end of year returns about your last income. For me it was quite straight forward once the local tax office had checked up what they needed to do.
  2. You can become a Turkish Citizen by purchasing a property in Turkey that is worth a minimum of $250,000. I heard that might be dropping to $150,000 dollars sometime soon. An alternative to scrabbling around with visas all the time for those that can afford it that is.
  3. Definitely worth doing it in the UK LibbyLackLuster, Just apply through downloading the form and following the instructions on gov.uk and get him to pay the application fee since it is him that wants the divorce. You won't need a solicitor unless as Eglegal suggests your partner is willing to pay for one. Details here: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/family/ending-a-relationship/how-to-separate/getting-a-divorce/
  4. Hi there Nathanilr, Assuming that you are going to live here permanently then after your current tax year ends you will start to pay tax in Turkey since Turkey has a dual taxation agreement with Germany. You have no need for a work permit since your work is based in Germany and you are just working remotely but you will need a residents permit and details on how to get one are listed on these forums under a separate topic. So, arrive in Turkey and apply for your residents permit. Once you have your residence permit you will cease to pay tax in Germany at the end of your current tax year which is the calendar year in Germany i.e. January to December the same as in Turkey. You will need to go to the Turkish tax office and register for a tax reference number and then apply for the double taxation personal certificate. If you do not speak Turkish you might need to enlist the help of an accountant who speaks English or German. http://taxsummaries.pwc.com/ID/Germany-Individual-Foreign-tax-relief-and-tax-treaties
  5. Just the other day IbrahimAbi gave me the name of someone I hadn't heard of before by the name of Wilco Van Herpan from Holland who is all over You Tube and on a channel called Iz TV. So, naturally I thought I would take a look. Interesting stuff. But it got me thinking. Who do you know that is famous or semi-famous in Turkey, who speaks reasonable Turkish and who runs an interesting channel or appears on the TV or in the media. To be honest I don't know of many but I can think of three off the top of my head. Rikki Roath the travel presenter although she is half Turkish and half American, the previous British Ambassador Richard Moore and Paul Dwyer whose You Tube video is shown here. Who else can we add to the list?
  6. Thanks Ibrahim. Appreciate the kind words but it just bugs me that I have got so far with it and yet just never quite getting there. Wilco Van Herpen? I am going to have to take a look at that. Cheers.
  7. Thanks IbrahimAbi its the next village along from where I live so at least people will know me there but I don't think I would risk doing the voice over outside of my local area - best left to native speakers I think :-)
  8. As I travel around Turkey I tend to do videos of places that we have visited but I generally do these in English rather than Turkish. The main reason for this is probably down to my confidence with Turkish, something I know Ken has mentioned previously. I know sometimes I meet people who say that they are fluent in the language but often they are not. They might be proficient enough to be comfortable with the use of the language in spoken and written form but not to the same level as a native speaker or they might be fluent, and by that I mean being able to hold a conversation that is fluid and not halting. I just read that there are 10 different levels of proficiency. ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines go from novice to intermediate to advanced and superior and these groups themselves are subdivided into low mid and high levels or as the CEFR tend to reference them as A1, A2, B1, B2, C1 and C2. On a personal note I have no idea where I fall within this spectrum. I have downloaded several A Level university exam papers from the internet and I could pass those but that is no real indication of the level that someone is at since it is only really an entry point into being fully up to speed with a language I think. So, I can comfortably watch Turkish films, read the newspapers ( mostly, sometimes the odd word catches me out ) and keep a conversation flowing with ease. However, I would dread ever having to give a speech in Turkish or get in anything too academic since my Turkish is very much something that has been learned "on the fly" so to speak rather than attending any courses or lessons. I know I am not at the level I want to be and I can understand some of the frustrations mentioned in this forum whether it be from people just wanting to understand enough to get by or those wanting to own the language like a boss and take it to the most advanced level. The hardest thing for me is trying to lose my accent. When I meet new people they might not pick up on something straight away but then they recognise that I have an accent and either ask me where I am from or assume for some reason that I am a Turkish Cypriot. People often say "You speak better Turkish than me" which I put down to the fact that they are being polite because I know that I clearly do not speak the language better than they do and I have an accent that I don't seem to be able to shake off. How do we lose that accent? Perhaps I am just expecting too much. I probably need a few more years here yet but one day I hope to crack it so that I can speak completely like a native. I put the link to one of my Turkish videos below and if you listen to the narrative ( some gaps between the music ) then see if you can pick out the heavy accent or if you can't ask your Turkish partner or Turkish friend because they certainly will. Sometimes I think I pronounce German better than I do Turkish! Anyway, Keep calm and carry on. Practice will make perfect ~ he says hopefully!
  9. JustinM: One of our friends comes from Ciplak Koy. It is a nice typical Turkish village. Also Yeni Koy nearby is pretty cool and near to the sea. We live in Tavakli near Ezine. www.tavakli.net which you might have passed through. Good luck with your search and if you need any help re: Canakkale and the local area just contact me. IbrahimAbi: A naturist beach in Canakkale? Now that would be a first for Turkey :-)
  10. Selam Star, Nice to see someone from Azerbaijan in the forum. You won't have any problem with Turkish obviously :-) I hope to visit Baku next year. I am guessing that I should be able to converse normally in Turkish over there. I heard that a few words might be different but that essentially it is the same. Anyway, the meat. I don't think there is such a thing as a standard price for meat in Turkey, not one that is adhered to anyways. The good stores like Migros and Kipa or Uysal in our area probably offer the best cuts but tend to be a little more expensive. It is pretty much trial and error in finding a good butcher or the person who sells the best chicken etc. Certainly kusbasi at 55 lira and Kiyma at 48 lira would be a bit expensive where we are but then we are not in Istanbul. Hoscakalin Ingiliz Hamdi
  11. Just like Ibrahim Ali we live in a village location. Not far from Bozcaada island our house overlooks the sea with a main town 22 km away and Canakkale around 70 km away. It means that we can get a flight to either Ankara or Istanbul fairly easily if we want to travel overseas but we have settled her permanently so we don't have to worry about visas or residency permits etc. One thing that Ibrahim Ali has already pointed out and something which is very important. You really do need to speak Turkish if you want to live in a Turkish village. Our village is a bit remote and if we have Turkish friends from Canakkale come to visit us for the first time they are a bit surprised to find that when they park up in the village square all eyes are on them and they are watched with interest until I turn up to meet them. The one big upside about living in a village is that you are much more readily accepted as one of the locals if you live there, adopt a local name, speak the language and integrate with the community. This level of acceptance is unlikely to take place in a big town or city in the same way as it does in a small community. Although the village we live in might seem a little remote we are near the very touristic island of Bozcaada but we also have our own wonderful sandy beach at the bottom of the hill which gets local tourists from Istanbul and we live in an unspoiled area of Turkey in a region which is much cheaper than the tourist resorts. This has already been mentioned but you will need a car if you live in a Turkish village. We bought a new car when we first arrived but we hardly use it now. We have acquired one of those BMC ( Leyland Sherpa van - A la Turkish style ) flatbed pickups ( Kamyonet ) for around £2000 ( 2200 Euro or $2500 ) and then spent another TL2000 bringing up to tip top condition ( New tyres all round, new radiator, service, cv joint, track rod ends, etc etc - basically changed anything that was not in good condition ). Parts and insurance are cheap for these vehicles since they are made in Turkey and we bomb around everywhere in it. They are robust and ideal for village life which is why almost every village in Turkey has them. Anyway, some great advice from Ken, JustinM and Ibrahim Ali - Take a look at Ayvacik and Cunda Island as mentioned - You might find that is more to your liking albeit as Ibrahim has mentioned the water is colder than the south coast.
  12. We brought all our personal goods into Turkey 3 years ago. We shipped it from the UK but we were careful not to include any electrical items. Also we labelled each box carefully and had a packing list which listed all the contents of each box in both Turkish and in English. Suffice to say that we had absolutely no problem at all with customs. We paid no import taxes. I think the trick is to avoid electrical items. Our personal effects included some quite large items of furniture without any issues at all. However, when it comes to cars I seriously would buy one here rather than import one. Also electrical goods and white goods in general are reasonably priced and not much different to what you would pay in Europe.
  13. Learning Turkish isn't easy. It really is a language where you have to immerse yourself in the culture to fully understand it. I never went to classes but I am pretty fluent in Turkish now to the extent that I tend to watch films and the news in Turkish now rather than my native language of English. The way I learned was through practice. Practice, practice and lots of it and then suddenly one day it will fall into place. I can see you are already at an advanced stage Ken and very serious about becoming fluent. The best advice I can give is to find as many Turkish people as you can who are willing to listen and to help you develop what you already have and in no time I promise you - you will suddenly start having dreams in Turkish rather than English and then you will know that you have cracked it. I know its a hard language to learn but I would encourage anyone living here to learn it. Even if most of your friends are ex pats you will get so much more out of your living experience in Turkey. There is so much you miss if you don't speak Turkish.
  • Create New...