By Alejandra Pousa, 20/07/21
The European Center for Disease Prevention and Control in its threat assessment brief on the Delta variant has projections that indicate that, since it is more transmissible, by the end of August, 90% of infections in the EU will have been caused by this variant.
Their modeling scenarios also confirm the following:
- Because of the increase in circulation of Delta, the overall risk of infection is considered to be low for fully vaccinated individuals and high to very high for partially or unvaccinated people.
- Any relaxation of preventive measures could lead to a fast and significant increase in daily cases in all age groups.
- Full vaccination of all age groups should be achieved as early as possible to reduce hospitalizations and deaths, thus keeping incidence at manageable levels.
- Older age groups (+50) and those with underlying co-morbidities are more likely to be hospitalized.
- Properly identifying and monitoring circulating Covid types is crucial for the early detection of emerging variants.
- 744 Views
- 4 Comments
0U.S. Travel Restrictions to Be Lifted Early November
By: Alejandra Pousa · 24/09/21