Application and Required Documents
You can apply for a work permit if you have been living in Turkey, with a residence permit, for at least six months. You must have a job offer or contract from an employer first. Both you and your employer must apply to the Çalışma ve Sosyal Güvenlik Bakanlığı (Ministry of Labor and Social Security) for most work permits. To work with a university, you must both apply to the Yüksek Öğretim Kurulu (Council of Higher Education, or YÖK). Both of the applications must be made within six business days of each other.
As the employee, you will generally need:
- A work permit application form (which you can get at the Ministry of Labor)
- Your passport, with an expiration date at least 60 days beyond the expiration date of your work permit (which is usually one year)
- A translated and notarized copy of your passport
- Your university diploma and/or any certificates of training which qualify you for the job
- A translated and notarized copy of your university diploma and/or certificates of training
- Your residence permit, with at least 180 days of validity remaining
- Four photos
- One copy of the work contract
You may be asked to provide other documents, depending on the type of job you are applying for.
Within six business days before or after your application, your employer will apply, online, for your work permit. Once the printed application is complete, both you and your employer will sign it. If you aren't able to be at the workplace to sign the application, you can also send your employer a signed work contract, so he or she can submit it along with their application.
Approval of your work permit should take around 30 days.