Jump to content

Turkey Residence Permit: New Passport or Name Change

Ken Grubb

If you get a new passport while you have a residence permit, you must report it in person to the Göç İdaresi Genel Müdürlüğü (Directorate General of Migration Management) within 20 business days. You don't need an appointment.

Required Documents to Report a New Passport

  • Old passport
  • New passport
  • Color copy of your new passport, including the photo and personal information pages
  • Residence permit
  • Copy of both sides of your residence permit
  • One biometric photo

Changing Your Name

If you're changing your name for any reason, including marriage, you must change your name on your passport before changing your name on your residence permit card.

If You're within 60 Days of the Date You'll Be Extending Your Residence Permit

You must apply for an extension of your residence permit within the 60 day period prior to its expiration. If you get a new passport during this time:  

Report the Change, in Person at the Immigration Office

You must still personally report your new passport information to the immigration office within 20 working days. That is, don't wait more than 20 working days to report it since you'll be extending your residence permit anyway.

Use Your Old Passport Information When Applying for an Extension

When completing your online extension application at https://e-ikamet.goc.gov.tr/:

  1. Enter your old passport's number and the first day of its validity
  2. Enter your new passport's last day of its validity.

This will extend your residence permit using the passport information already in the system, but give you the validity period you need to extend.

When you go to your extension appointment, the immigration specialist will update the system with your new passport information.

When the immigration specialist updates your passport information, it updates it in all government records. So there's no need to report the change anywhere else.

Ken Grubb, author.

As a special investigator for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and teacher for the University of Maryland, Ken Grubb has lived and worked in Turkey since 1997. He's now retired and living in Antalya, where he researches and writes guides to help others live skillfully in Turkey.


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

  • Create New...