Jump to content

Turkey Residence Permit: Missing or Inadequate Documents

Ken Grubb

A woman reads a list of the documents which are missing from her residence permit application.If the immigration specialist who is reviewing your residence permit application package finds that a document is missing or inadequate, they'll tell you during your interview.  If you've mailed your application package, they'll send you an e-mail and/or an SMS explaining which documents are missing or inadequate. The message will also contain the name of the immigration specialist handling your case.

You'll have up to 30 days to get the necessary documentation and take it to the immigration office or mail it in. Unless you need to get a document sent to you from your home country, you can usually get the documentation you need in less than a day.

Important! Make sure you provide any missing documents within the time allowed. If you don't, your application will be rejected, not canceled. If your application is rejected, you can't apply for another residence permit of the same type for 180 days.

Common Examples of Missing or Additional Documents They May Ask For

They Need a Copy of Your Landlord's ID Card and a Copy of the Landlord's Tapu (Title Deed) for the Place Where You Live

If your landlord is cooperative, this should be no problem. If not, you'll need to go to the immigration office and explain the situation to the immigration specialist. They can be flexible on requirements, so if you can convince them you really do live where you say you live, they may drop this requirement. If your landlord won't cooperate, ask the immigration specialist for an alternative to prove your address.

They Want Proof You Can Support Yourself

During your online application, you must make a declaration that you have enough cash or income to live on for the duration of the residence permit validity period. Have documentary proof ready, since they'll probably ask for it during your interview.

Learn more about how to prove you have enough money to live on.

Your Health Insurance Coverage is Inadequate

This may happen if your insurance company doesn't have an office in Turkey, or your health insurance policy doesn't specifically say it covers you for the minimum coverage amounts required for a residence permit. In the worst case scenario, you will have to go to a private health insurance provider in Turkey and buy a Turkish policy. This only takes around an hour to do.

You Need to Have Something Translated or Notarized

When you apply for a residence permit for the first time, or extend your current residence permit, the online application system will tell you which documents you need to have translated and/or notarized. If for some reason you haven't done that, just go to a noter (notary). There is always one or more in every city and town in Turkey. The noter can also tell you where you can have a document translated by a certified translator--their offices are usually near each other. You can get a certified translation of a document done in a few hours, or a few days, if the translator is busy and you don't mind waiting for it. You can get a document notarized in around 15 minutes.

Learn how to get a notarized translation of a document.

Learn how to get a notarized copy of a document.

If You Can't Get the Missing Documents

The immigration specialists have discretion about what constitutes the required documentary proof, and whether or not you you meet the  requirements for residency in Turkey. If you have problems getting any missing documentation, talk to the immigration official who is handling your residence permit application. They will work with you to find a solution for your situation.

Ken Grubb, author.

As a special investigator for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and teacher for the University of Maryland, Ken Grubb has lived and worked in Turkey since 1997. He's now retired and living in Antalya, where he researches and writes guides to help others live skillfully in Turkey.


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

  • Create New...