Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Health Insurance Coverage in Turkey for Foreigners Under International Agreements

Ken Grubb
  • Some countries have a bilateral agreement with Turkey for the provision of healthcare services. Here is a list of those countries, and what documents you will need to get for your residence permit application.

A handshake, in front of a world globe, signifying the international agreement between Turkey and other countries regarding health insurance coverage.If your home country has a bilateral agreement for healthcare coverage in Turkey, you don't have to buy health insurance in Turkey. You just have to get a Medical Insurance Entitlement Certificate from your home country, take that to the Sosyal Güvenlik Kurumu (Social Security Administration, or SGK) office, and get a letter from them to take to your residence permit application appointment. If you are extending a residence permit, you need to mail the SGK letter with your extension package. Here is what you need to do.

1. Get the Required Documents from Your Country

If your country is listed on the left side of the table below, you will need to get the documents listed on the right side.

Countries Which Have Reciprocal Health Insurance Coverage and Documents Required
If You Are From One of These Countries You Will Need To Get These Documents
Albania AL/TR 4, TR/AL 5
Austria A/TR 3, A/TR 4
Belgium BT.8, BT 16
Bosnia-Herzegovina BH/TR 4, BH/TR 6, BH/TR 7
Czech Republic CZ/TR 111
France SE 208-01 FT, SE 208-02 FT SE 208-30 FT, SE 208-06 A FT, SE 208-28 FT,SE 208-09 FT
Germany T/A 11, T/A 9, T/A 20
Luxembourg TR/L 3, TR/L 5
Macedonia  MC/TR 4, TR/MC 6
Romania R/TR 3, R/TR5, R/TR 6
The Netherlands N/TUR 106, N/TUR 111, N/TUR 121
Turkish Republic of North Cyprus  K.K.T.C/T.C. 3, K.K.T.C/T.C. 6

2. Get a Healthcare Entitlement Letter from the SGK

Take the appropriate documents to an SGK office. They will give you a letter which verifies that you are covered in Turkey under a bilateral agreement.

3. Include the Letter with Your Residence Permit Application

Present the letter from the SGK as proof that you are covered for healthcare services in Turkey.

Foreigner Communications Center

The DGMM has a number you can call to speak to an immigration specialist. Call 157 from any telephone within Turkey. The call will be free. From outside of Turkey, call +90 312 157 1122. Long-distance charges will apply.

See Also

Expat Health Insurance Forum: If you have questions or comments about health insurance, you can post them here.

External Links

Sosyal Güvenlik Kurumu (SGK): The official website for Turkey's social security Institution (with English, French, German and Arabic language options).
Social Security Agreements: The SGK page which explains how reciprocal social security and healthcare coverage works between Turkey and other countries which have a reciprocal agreement for health care coverage.
Turkey Residence Permit Law (PDF): The Law on Foreigners and International Protection, Dated April, 2014. In English, this is the Turkish law which governs residence permits.

  Report Article
Sign in to follow this  


There are no comments to display.