Documents Required from the Applicant
- Residence permit application form
- Notarized copy of the passport, including the identity information page, photo page, and the page showing the most recent entry stamp *
- Previous residence permit
- Two photos meeting the official photo requirements
Documents Required from the Sponsor
- Notarized copy of Turkish identity card
- If another parent is involved and they share custody, a letter giving consent for the child to obtain a family residence permit.
- Proof of sufficient financial support
- Proof of health insurance which is valid in Turkey and which meets minimum coverage requirements, or a document showing that the family member is covered under a bilateral agreement.
- Criminal record, from either the Turkish government and/or a foreign country, depending on where the sponsor has lived for the past five years. The record must show no convictions for any crimes against family members **
- Address registration document from the Nüfus (population directorate), showing the sponsor’s current address.
* For passports which are not issued in Latin letters, you must have it translated by a Turkish sworn translator, and include the translation with your passport. Since extension packages are submitted by mail, include the notarized copy of the passport. Do not mail the original passport.
** If the criminal record check is obtained from a foreign country, it must be apostilled, then translated by an official translator and notarized by a Turkish noter (notary).
Important! Once you complete your online application for extension in the online residence permit system, you will have five business days to get your application package in the mail. It must be sent by taahhütlü posta (registered mail) using Turkey's official mail system, PTT or by a Turkish cargo delivery company. Do not send multiple extension applications in the same package. Each application must be mailed separately.
If you need health insurance, contact our English-speaking agent of Ankara Sigorta, which provides health insurance packages for residence permits (in English and Turkish), using our Health Insurance Inquiry Form.
Turkey's Foreigner Communications Center
The DGMM has a number you can call to speak to an immigration specialist. Call 157 from any telephone within Turkey. The call will be free. From outside of Turkey, call +90 312 157 1122. Long-distance charges will apply.
Family Residence Permits in Turkey
Family Residence Permits Forum: If you have comments or questions about family residence permits, please post them in our forum.
The Four Basic Steps of Applying for or Extending Your Residence Permit
Minimum Wage in Turkey: From Fedee.com, the minimum wages of various countries, including Turkey, updated annually on 1 January.
Directorate General of Migration Management, Required Documents: Several downloadable PDF documents available here, which cover the documents required for first-time applications and extensions.
Turkey Residence Permit Law (PDF): The Law on Foreigners and International Protection, Dated April, 2014. In English, this is the Turkish law which governs residence permits.