Jump to content

Turkey Residence Permit: Changing Your Marital Status

Ken Grubb

If you get married when you have a residence permit, you must report the change to your local Göç İdaresi Genel Müdürlüğü (Directorate General of Migration Management or immigration office) within 20 days. You can walk in without an appointment.

Required Documents

  • Passport
  • Photocopy of your passport
  • Uluslararası Aile Cüzdanı (International Marriage Book) or foreign marriage certificate with an apostille and a translation into Turkish by a sworn translator
  • Current residence permit card
  • Biometric photo

If Your Marriage Was in Turkey

If your marriage was in Turkey, you were issued an Uluslararası Aile Cüzdanı (International Marriage Book). This multi-lingual document includes the identity information of you, your spouse, and children (if any).

Learn how to get a copy of your Turkish marriage certificate.

If Your Marriage Was in Another Country

If your marriage certificate is from a foreign country, it must be legalized for use in Turkey with an apostille. The marriage license and the apostille must then be translated into Turkish by a sworn translator.

This procedure will change your marital status, but not your name.

Learn how to get a copy of a foreign marriage certificate.

Learn how to legalize a foreign document for use in Turkey.

Changing Your Name after Getting Married

Before you can change your name on your residence permit card, you must first get a new passport with your new name. Go to the website of your country's embassy in Turkey for instructions. Then take your new passport and a copy of your new passport to your local immigration office. No appointment is required.


There's no fee for reporting your change of marital status. When you update your passport and change your name on your residence permit card, the only fee is for printing a new residence permit card. For 2022, the fee is ₺160.

Ken Grubb, author.

As a special investigator for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and teacher for the University of Maryland, Ken Grubb has lived and worked in Turkey since 1997. He's now retired and living in Antalya, where he researches and writes guides to help others live skillfully in Turkey.


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

  • Create New...