Jump to content

Tebligat: The Notification Document in Turkey

Ken Grubb

As you're concluding your residence permit application interview in some cities in Turkey (especially Istanbul), the immigration official handling your case may give you a document called a tebligat. It is sometimes called a tebliğ-tebellüğü belgesi, with the tebliğ being the one communicating the message and the tebellüğü being the one receiving it.

What is a Tebligat?

A tebligat is an official communiqué or certificate of notification. It's used when one person, usually a government official, documents the communication of information to another person. It is dated and signed by both parties, and your signature is proof that you've been notified of whatever the communique says.

A tebligat is sometimes used in place of the İkamet İzni Müracaat Belgesi (Residence Permit Application Document). You'll be legally in Turkey with the tebligat until you receive your residence permit card by mail.

Why the Tebligat is Used

The tebligat is used instead of the Residence Permit Application Document when some offices of the Göç İdaresi Genel Müdürlüğü (Directorate General of Migration Management, or Immigration Office) are very busy. They get so many residence permit applications there isn't enough time or workers available to issue the usual residence permit application document. Getting one doesn't mean you're a suspicious person or that your application is more likely to be rejected.

What Does the Tebligat Say, in English?

They usually say something like this:

"This Communiqué on receipt of the residence permit application of the foreigner residing in Istanbul has been issued in two copies and one copy has been signed to the person concerned, one copy of which has been signed in the file of the foreigner. Your application result will be sent by SMS to the contact number you have declared to us within 90 (ninety) days of the legal evaluation period.

"As a result of your application for residence permit, the documents and other information in your file will be evaluated and your residence permit may be given or deemed negative by the governorship within the period deemed appropriate. The fact that the fees you have paid in accordance with your application for residence permit will not be returned in accordance with "the Law No 492 on Fees, that this notification document has been explained and communicated to the foreigner or legal representative in the language they understand,

"The minutes of this communiqué have been signed by us together below."

What's the Difference Between the Tebligat and the Residence Permit Application Document?

There isn't much difference. Both documents allow you to remain in Turkey until you have your residence permit card. But while the Residence Permit Application Document will enable you to leave Turkey for up to 15 days and return without a visa, the tebligat doesn't give you that option.

This will only be an issue if your visa or current residence permit has expired. If you still have a valid visa or residence permit, then don't worry. You can still leave Turkey and return as much as you want for as long as it's valid. A problem arises if these documents have expired, and you haven't yet received your residence permit card.

What to Do if You Need to Travel

If you have a tebligat and your visa or residence permit has expired, call the immigration office helpline at 157. They'll give you an e-mail address you can use to get a letter sent to you by e-mail which will enable you to leave Turkey and return without a visa.

Of course, if your visa or residence permit is still valid, you can continue to leave Turkey and return until they are no longer valid.

Have Your Fee Payment Receipts With You if You Travel

If you're able to get a regular Residence Permit Application Document, you'll be allowed to leave Turkey for up to 15 days and return without having to buy a visa. Make sure you have the Residence Permit Application Document and the fee payment receipts with you to show the immigration official when you re-enter Turkey.

Assistance and Support

Turkey Central Forums: Do you have a question? Search our forums to see if it's already been answered. If it hasn't, feel free to open a new topic.

Ken Grubb, author.

As a special investigator for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and teacher for the University of Maryland, Ken Grubb has lived and worked in Turkey since 1997. He now lives in Antalya, where he researches and writes guides to help others live skillfully in Turkey.


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

  • Create New...