Jump to content

Taahhütname: The Legal Declaration Document in Turkey

Ken Grubb

There are some situations for which someone in the Turkish government, or someone else, may ask you to document your intention to do something, and then have that document notarized. The document they'll be asking for is called a taahütname.

What is a Taahhütname?

A taahhütname is a Turkish legal document on which you make a taahhüd (declaration, commitment, or undertaking), to do something. In this document, you may also agree to some remedy or penalty if you fail to do it. The taahhütname is created by a noter (notary), then stamped and signed by the noter, which makes your declaration a legal document and a public record.

Notaries in Turkey have pre-written templates for all types of taahhütnames. So, when you ask for one, it'll probably just be a matter of using one of their templates and filling in the blanks, then making modifications where necessary.

The taahhütname isn't a form with a form number. It's just a sheet of paper on which you declare your undertaking, then sign it. The taahütname can say anything you want it to say (provided it's legal). It will, however, have a number stamped on it by the notary. Record that number, so if you ever need another copy of it you can go back to the notary and have them pull the original from their records, then copy it for you.

What to Have Written in a Taahütname

Anyone (including a government official) who asks you to provide a taahütname should also give you instructions concerning what it should say. So, when you go to the notary, take those instructions with you and show them to the notary. That way, you can be sure the taahhütname is worded correctly.

Examples of When a Taahhütname is Required

Here are two common examples of when you might need to provide a taahhütname:

  1. A friend or relative, who isn't your spouse or child, is applying for a residence permit and will be staying with you and using your address as their address.
  2. You're applying for a residence permit for a child who isn't your own, and you're serving as their guardian.

Immigration Office Guidelines

The Göç İdaresi Genel Müdürlüğü (Directorate General of Migration Management, or Immigration Office) doesn't provide the exact wording you should use in a taahhütname for the above situations. They only tell you in general terms what it must say. The notary who creates the taahhütname should know what to write in it.

Allowing a Friend or Non-immediate family Member to Use Your Address

The immigration office says this:


"Kişinin (akraba dışında) yanında kalınacak olması halinde yanında kalınan kişinin noter onaylı taahhüdü (yanında kalınan kişinin evli olması halinde ayrıca eşinin de noter onaylı taahhüdü) aranır."


"If the foreigner is going to stay in a 3rd person's residence (other than relatives), notary public undertaking of the host (and notary public undertaking of the spouse if the host is married) is required."


What the government expects is that each person listed on the tapu (property title deed) or the rental contract and their spouse(s) be responsible for the foreigner staying in their home.  Each person must declare they'll ensure the foreigner departs Turkey when or before their residence permit expires, and be liable for any unpaid debts incurred by the foreigner. So each of them must go to the notary and sign the taahhütname.

Acting as a Guardian of a Child

This is what the immigration office says:


"Şahsın on sekiz yaşından küçük olması durumunda; yurt dışında bulunan annesi/babası veya yasal temsilcisinin vereceği muvafakatname ile muvafakatnamede belirtilmek kaydıyla Türkiye’deki gerçek ya da tüzel kişiler tarafından verilecek taahhütname aranır."


"If the foreigner is under eighteen years old; an undertaking to be granted by real and legal persons in Turkey is required provided that such undertaking is specified in the letter of parental consent to be given by his/her mother and father been in abroad or by legal representative."


What the government expects is the guardian to declare they'll provide a suitable home, food, clothing, education, and anything else the child needs.

Signing the Taahhütname

The taahhütname will be in Turkish, so if you don't speak Turkish, there must be a sworn translator present when you sign the taahhütname. There's a charge for this, but it's a legal requirement and, obviously, a good idea! The translator will read the taahhütname out loud in English, to make sure everyone who signs it understands what they're signing.

Submitting the Taahhütname with Your Residence Permit Application

If you're the one applying for the residence permit, give the taahhütname, during your residence permit application appointment, to the immigration specialist with the rest of your application package.

If you've provided a taahhütname for another person's application, there's no need for you to go to their appointment. The taahhütname will be sufficient.

Assistance and Support

Turkey Central Forums: Do you have a question? Search our forums to see if it's already been answered. If it hasn't, feel free to open a new topic.

Ken Grubb, author.

As a special investigator for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and teacher for the University of Maryland, Ken Grubb has lived and worked in Turkey since 1997. He now lives in Antalya, where he researches and writes guides to help others live skillfully in Turkey.


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

  • Create New...