Jump to content

How to Get a Turkish Marriage Certificate

Ken Grubb

This article is about how to get a copy of your Turkish marriage license from the Turkish government. If you need to get a copy of your marriage license from your home country, see: How to Get a Copy of a Foreign Marriage Certificate While in Turkey.

There are two Turkish documents you can use to prove your marriage: The International Family Book or the Population Registry Document. Either of them should be sufficient, but sometimes a government office will want the population registry document and not the International family book. If you're applying for a family residence permit or otherwise must prove your marriage to the Göç İdaresi Genel Müdürlüğü (Directorate General of Migration Management, or Immigration Office), either of these documents will work.

The International Family Book

In Turkey, the marriage certificate is actually a book, called a Uluslararası Aile Cüzdanı (International Family Book). It's a multilingual, multi-page book containing information about two people who are married, as well as any children they have. It's given to the couple by the government official who presides over their wedding and is supposed to be kept for life. So if you're getting a new one, it'll be because you've lost the one they gave you.

By the way, you're supposed to report its loss to your district's police station! After that, you must go to your local muhtar (kind of a neighborhood mayor) and fill out an application for another International Family Book.

First-time Applications for the Family Residence Permit

If you're applying for a family residence permit for the first time, you can bring the International Family Book to your appointment and show it to the immigration specialist who's handling your case. The book is sufficient to prove your marriage.

Extensions of the Family Residence Permit

When applying for an extension of your family residence permit, you'll need to submit a notarized copy of the first three pages of your marriage book, that is, those pages which provide information about you, your spouse, and your marriage.

The Vukuatlı Nüfus Kayıt Örneği (Population Registration Document)

This document shows the dates and birthplaces of you and your family members, your address, and your marital status. You can get this document by visiting your district's Nüfus ve Vatandaşlık İşleri Genel Müdürlüğü (Directorate of Population and Citizenship Affairs, or Nüfus), or by downloading it from e-Devlet, Turkey's online government services portal.

Getting Your Population Registration Document From the Nüfus

You'll first need to make an appointment at your local Nüfus. You can make one using their online appointment system, here:

Nüfus Appointment Website:


You can use Google Chrome with the downloaded Google Translate extension to translate the pages into Turkish, if necessary.

Go to your appointment with your residence permit and passport, and ask them to give you a copy of your Vukuatlı Nüfus Kayıt Örneği. It will be digitally signed, and require no further authentication.

Note: At the time of this writing, the Nüfus appointment system only accepts appointments from Turkish citizens using their national ID numbers. This situation may change, so at least give it a try. If you can't make an appointment, go to the Nüfus without one. At the check-in desk, they'll understand that you're a foreigner and can't make an online appointment. Take a number and wait, and someone will call you.

Downloading your Population Registration Document from E-Devlet

E-Devlet is Turkey's national government portal. While it's commonly called "e-Devlet," which means "e-Government." its address is www.turkiye.gov.

To learn more about e-Devlet and how to download a population registration document, see How to Join and Use e-Devlet.

Assistance and Support

Turkey Central Forums: Do you have a question? Search our forums to see if it's already been answered. If it hasn't, feel free to open a new topic.

Ken Grubb, author.

As a special investigator for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and teacher for the University of Maryland, Ken Grubb has lived and worked in Turkey since 1997. He now lives in Antalya, where he researches and writes guides to help others live skillfully in Turkey.


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

  • Create New...