Photo
- - - - -

Local Handicrafts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Ashina

Ashina

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:19 AM

A visiting friend wants to buy some authentic local handicrafts.Thus far I've managed to avoid most non-essential shopping, so I have no idea! She mentioned metalworking -- is that local?

#2 Guest_Yildirim_*

Guest_Yildirim_*

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:30 PM

There is currently a handicraft fayre in Taksim Square in İstanbul with stalls from all over Turkey. I would highly recommend it. However, in my opinion you wont find any handicrafts to my knowledge in Altınkum. The closest city to Altınkum is İzmir, which is two hours by bus and provides a much better chance of finding handicrafts.

#3 Ashina

Ashina

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

Thanks!Personally, I find Taksim very touristy, but then I have my own ideas about local handicrafts and am not a fan of mass-market shopping.Now ... if only there was a shopping-guide service available to occupy so-inclined guests while one is working!

Edited by Ashina, 14 September 2010 - 01:44 PM.

#4 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11868 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:42 PM

You'll have to engage the help of a friendly Turkish neighbour. :D
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#5 Karyn

Karyn

• Kuşadası
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

A lack of genuine local crafts is one of the few negatives of Turkey for me. I always thought there should be more. Not mass market stuff brought in and passed off as local but small artisan places. There is a real lack round here and I don't know why more people haven't come here and started small workshops.I managed to find small potteries and glass blowers in Cappadocia and they had some really nice stuff, gorgeous raku pottery and really delicate glass bottles but that is a very long way to go! There is an interesting shop in Selcuk that sources vintage textiles from all over Turkey and makes handcrafted items Bazaar Bayar Vintage Turkish Textiles the Californian owner also writes a blog but I can't find the link currently.In Sirince they make a lot of lace and the tablecloths and napkins from there are nice and the hand made soaps and herbal remedies make good gifts.There used to be an antique market in Cesme on Sundays that I always meant to go to but haven't got round to so not sure if that is still open. Selcuk market has a small section of "antique" (okay rubbish!) items for sale on a Saturday and sometimes you can get some interesting stuff there, I got an amazing brass ship's bell once at a really good price, but most of the stuff is just junk. They have some old metalcraft items there like old etched tea trays and cooking pots.So a Saturday trip to Selcuk and Sirince may give your friend some shopping opportunities.Other than that Izmir would probably be your best bet but there would be a lot of ground to cover in search of hidden gems.Karen

Edited by Karyn, 14 September 2010 - 03:37 PM.

My Website and Blog - Being Koy about life in Kirazli Village near Kusadasi

#6 Guest_Yildirim_*

Guest_Yildirim_*

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:32 PM

Thanks!Personally, I find Taksim very touristy, but then I have my own ideas about local handicrafts and am not a fan of mass-market shopping.Now ... if only there was a shopping-guide service available to occupy so-inclined guests while one is working!

Here is more information - http://www.dunyabult...l.php?id=124190This is a special event being held in Gezi Park with small stalls selling handmade goods from all over Turkey and even some from Bulgaria and Albania. I would highly recommend it.Some pictures:http://www.on5yirmi5...nt.aspx?c=21377http://www.turkiyetu...il.php?id=29556http://www.facebook....mp;id=777824159There are cheap flights from İzmir for around 60 Lira, it might be worth for your friend to take a look if they've never been to İstanbul before, there is even more incentive as it can be done on the cheap.

#7 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11868 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:48 PM

Karyn, the 'antiques' are for sale on Saturdays at Alacati market not the Sunday Cesme market.

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#8 Karyn

Karyn

• Kuşadası
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:52 PM

Thanks Sunny....have you ever been? I've been meaning to go for years but never got round to it.I was looking round a website called etsy.com this afternoon and I found a lot more craftspeople in Turkey than I expected.I did find this really cool jewellery maker in Didim, it may not be purely traditional stuff but it's lovely and considering the work that has gone into it bargain prices! Lyla Accessories - DidimKaryn

My Website and Blog - Being Koy about life in Kirazli Village near Kusadasi

#9 Meral

Meral

Supreme Member

• Çeşme
  • 2218 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:17 PM

There's currently a "Crazy Patchwork" exhibition at the old historic church in

Edited by Meral, 14 September 2010 - 08:19 PM.

I am fairly certain that
Given a Cape and a nice Tiara
I could save the world.
........................ Author Unknown

#10 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11868 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:30 PM

That's interesting Meral, I must go and have a look.Karyn I haven't been this year but when I went there were some interesting items but a lot of it, as you said, was a load of old junk. :o

#11 BazaarBayar

BazaarBayar

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:39 PM

A lack of genuine local crafts is one of the few negatives of Turkey for me. I always thought there should be more. Not mass market stuff brought in and passed off as local but small artisan places. There is a real lack round here and I don't know why more people haven't come here and started small workshops.I managed to find small potteries and glass blowers in Cappadocia and they had some really nice stuff, gorgeous raku pottery and really delicate glass bottles but that is a very long way to go! There is an interesting shop in Selcuk that sources vintage textiles from all over Turkey and makes handcrafted items Bazaar Bayar Vintage Turkish Textiles the Californian owner also writes a blog but I can't find the link currently.In Sirince they make a lot of lace and the tablecloths and napkins from there are nice and the hand made soaps and herbal remedies make good gifts.There used to be an antique market in Cesme on Sundays that I always meant to go to but haven't got round to so not sure if that is still open. Selcuk market has a small section of "antique" (okay rubbish!) items for sale on a Saturday and sometimes you can get some interesting stuff there, I got an amazing brass ship's bell once at a really good price, but most of the stuff is just junk. They have some old metalcraft items there like old etched tea trays and cooking pots.So a Saturday trip to Selcuk and Sirince may give your friend some shopping opportunities.Other than that Izmir would probably be your best bet but there would be a lot of ground to cover in search of hidden gems.Karen

Hi Karyn, Thanks for the mention! That's a link to our old site, soon to be updated. I'm on a multi-woman mission to revive Turkish handcrafts in this country!We've moved to Sultanahmet Istanbul this year to open a handcrafts workshop: http://bazaarbayar.b...p/workshop.html. I tried to do that in Selcuk but could not get enough artisans interested, plus Selcuk does not have enough visitors. We're in a temporary space near the Four Seasons Hotel, with the goal of opening a site with multiple artisans here soon. Meanwhile, I'm working with ladies here and in Selcuk to knit my hamam items and a small line of wraps and other accessories. Etsy has a growing number of amazing Turkish artisans - we also have a shop there: http://www.bazaarbayar.etsy.com I also help out with a "Behind the Bazaar" personal shopping tour group here - so please let me know if you're up this way! Thanks - Catherine at Bazaar Bayar

Edited by BazaarBayar, 15 September 2010 - 03:46 PM.

#12 Lucid

Lucid

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1545 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:26 PM

i have been asking ever since i moved here why dont more women get together and sell what they make and develop it further....im fed up of tack on sale here and seeing as i make my own jewellery but dont have citizenship so cant work or sell officially anywhere i dont feel so motivated.....and ebay kind of takes the sale part of the fun out of the process...i am totally lusting after any sales or display or support of handicraftsand yes selcuk made me dribble! it was nice to visit there as most places i have been to havent had the vibe and the items to interest me (although the wine may have helped a wee bit at selcuk!)i so wish i was a real skilled craftsperson in silver /gold and would snap up the chance to be involved in anything in my area related to what we are discussing generally....I also want to add while im on the subject im a painter in my heart but havent produced much in the last couple of yrs as i havent a clue how/where i could sell what i do...(also paints etc are expensive here i find)...there isnt really a market for it here....not that i value art on how much it sells!!i heard in Kas they have some art /cultural stuff on display or did and else wherei think one day when my Turkish is better and i get citizenship i may get my artistic wild bottom in gear and revive my own traditions! :o they will be colourful for a start! and frankly anyone near me already on a ride of creativity id love to do it in tandom! ot thereabouts!

#13 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11868 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:03 PM

Welcome to our forum Catherine and thank you for the information and links to the craft bazar.Do you plan to have on-line sales at some time in the future?Lu you can buy paints and other craft things in Koc Tas, do you have one in your area?Why don't you start painting and build up a collection for when you get your T nationality?In Cesme every summer there are art exhibitions of paintings done by local artists.

#14 Ashina

Ashina

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:13 PM

Wow! Thanks to all for the varied and insightful input.Upon seeing BazaarBayar / Catherine's sites, it occured to me there might be room for shared publicity. I've just begun working in sales for a property developer. To improve the quality of my own advertising, I'm gearing up to take new photographs of apartments and villas. I've been looking for various deco items and props to brighten the very blank-looking interiors and balconies of show flats. Hmm ...

#15 Lucid

Lucid

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1545 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:14 PM

sunny v good advicein fact my ultimate dream for some time has been to paint directly onto blank walls....i sometimes feel limited if i just think 'canvas'i have often had to hold back the urge to graffitiit may sound odd but art is or at least was an urge in me not just a thing i did...will do....future urge pending...will track down a koctas... :) i wrote poetry on walls in my past and all sortssome annoying people just cant keep them selves to themselves....guess art /making is a true extension of oneself :welcome:

#16 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11868 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:03 PM

[[I'm gearing up to take new photographs of apartments and villas. I've been looking for various deco items and props to brighten the very blank-looking interiors and balconies of show flats.]]Ashina certainly a lot of people selling apartments and houses could do with some advice when it comes to photos of their properties. They leave the ironing boards out and stuff all over the place including dirty dishes!Lu just start small for now and save the walls for later! :welcome:

#17 Ashina

Ashina

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:05 AM

LOL Sunny -- this is for pepping up photos of new developments. Lozengelounge has the resale department covered, and I'm not about to give anyone advice. If any artists/handcrafters would like their work used in my ads shots, I'll credit them and when possible include links to their work.

#18 Lucid

Lucid

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1545 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

If any artists/handcrafters would like their work used in my ads shots, I'll credit them and when possible include links to their workinteresting ideaguess location is key...turkey is huge..depends where the properties are and how it would/could be set upbut has scope thats truei can hold back the urge to paint nudes and psycological weirdness in order to help make a sale! :mellow: god forbid the added decor would put off a (dull) buyer :)

#19 Ashina

Ashina

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:41 PM

i can hold back the urge to paint nudes and psycological weirdness in order to help make a sale! :mellow: god forbid the added decor would put off a (dull) buyer :)

Hi Lucid,True, I wouldn't use nudity in the general shots, but these are all new flats/villas which the buyers have to decorate completely. Many would love something beyond the generic packages.

#20 Lucid

Lucid

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1545 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

i am deffo something beyond the average generic package :P or at least my husband tells me so!Ok without wanting to sound like a lady with a thousand dreams (and thats just one night!)i wanted to do interior design as a child....which developed into a love of window dressing (as the dimensions of the rooms and cadcam for int design blew my brain in the 90s...learning to type was hard enough!!).....so trips to London to see windows became a must...and window dressing being hands on mainly really inspired me...anyway..thats why one day i want my own studio/shop where i can paint wherever i like on the walls or not and change the window/displays daily!husband says i would struggle with a shop as i would be too attached to everything....everything in its place and a place for everything!!!guess my OCD helps with that or hinders!???/.... ;) ok off topic sorry! :beerchug[1]:

Edited by Lucid, 16 September 2010 - 04:49 PM.