How Much To Budget For Food And Drinks?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Christine54

Christine54

• PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:23 AM

We're Aussies, eagerly looking forward to touring Turkey next month with another retired couple, but I haven't been able to find any site with current food and drink prices, so I wondered how much we needed to budget for lunches, dinners and drinks. We want to eat real Turkish foods, not western style, so what sorts of places do we look for and how much should we expect to pay for a light lunch and an average dinner per person? All our breakfasts and some dinners are already supplied at our hotels, so we don't want to be eating in hotels or tourist restaurants the rest of the time.Is it safe to eat from street vendors and places we find the locals eating? I only ask this because everything I read strongly advises travellers to only drink bottled water, not the tap water, so do we have to take care in choosing what and where we eat? I've read about hazir yemek restaurants. Are these a good option?Also, how much should we expect to pay for beer, wine, and bottles of water?I look forward to your advice. Cheers,Christine

#2 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11868 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

This is a very difficult question to answer. It very much depends on where you are and your taste in food. If you want meat in your meal or fish then your meal will be more expensive because theyare expensive here and you can easily spend 400tl or more for a meal for four of you with drinks but you also will be able to find places, like the hazir yemek you mentioned where you will be able to eat for under 100tl for the four. In hazir yemek places you may not find alcohol on sale.For snacks you can go for doner kebabs, durum (kebeb ina pide roll) or kumru a bread roll filled with a choice of filling. These are around 5-7tl.People are usually advised to drink bottled water, avoid draught beer, ice and salads.I'm sure some of the other members will be able to add to this.
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#3 Lucid

Lucid

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1545 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:30 PM

hi, totally depends on where you will be.general rule of thumb for us though is drinks can cost a fair bit if bought with a mealalcohol is pricey most of the time and the cheapest beer in our area (big one) is 3 lira a bottle...cheapest wine about 5 lira i think....but dire.i think most vendors on the street will be ok.i mean look at how many use them and thats a fair indicator that they are worth considering!bottles of wine with meals break the bank for us so consider that and always ASK..the one most annoying thing is turkey is lack of price lists anywhere.....they are catching on but some think they can real off info themselves but most people prefer to see it written in black and white...also some charge you for water on your table..if you dont drink make sure they dont include it....if you are that fussy like me,being skint makes you that way!only thing i found made me a wee bit ill when i first came here was melon..i think its because they are often watered with non drinking water and seeing as they are what 90 something % water its stands to reason it may affect you...well that was my theory anyway..or the hotel pool!!??enjoy your holiday :)

#4 jozsika

jozsika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:02 PM

G'day,

Just came back from Oz, so I can compare.

No Pubs, Pokies where you can get cheap meals. Some shopping places now start to offer reasonable priced foods, like İKEA, METRO...

Meat and fish dishes close to double or more.

Local alcohol (rakı) is like OUZO and 25 TL and upwards for 700 cc.. (yummy)

You can FIND Fosters here about 3 TL 500 cc. (depending on place) local beer EFES is an excellent one, recommended. (especially the DARK one %6.1, and the EXTRA is %7 something, I think..

Most comes with an 500 cc (half a litre bottles, but 330 cc also available.)

Restaurant make most of their profit from drinks, a 25 TL a bottle rakı in shops will cost 55 TL plus in a restaurant..

NO BYO....

Beware!!

Anything they going to offer with food, salad water, fruit, coffee are all extra..

Don't go in or start to order before you see the price list, unless you are loaded with money and don't care..

We do have members like that too. (RİCH)

Unless you see people writhing with agony between tables, it can be assumed safe!

Staying clear the tourist run will save you money.

Ask about the cost fırst, once the deed is done, it is useless to argue! (in most cases)

I am sure you are going to love Turkey and your stay!!!

:) :huh:

Regards,

Edited by jozsika, 12 August 2010 - 04:03 PM.

#5 saffron

saffron

Turkish Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:02 PM

Hi Christine..welcome to the TC Forum.. :) I'm a Turkish member of the forum, so I think I can answer to your question, partly..I said partly because I normally dont eat at the places serving food to tourists, unless they provide something which worths the price..I can say this definitely that the very same food is sold at different prices -like many other stuff- depending on the customer profile: local, a local tourist, a foreign visitor.Just an example: there is a small town near to Fethiye-where I live- where I go sometimes for a change: fresh air, a small restaurant serving delicious and cheap -relatively- meals to the local people . In Turkish restaurants, in particular the restaurants where local people go, it is a habit to serve a dish of salad, free.In the restaurant I mention, they serve the salad dish, but if a clever employee thinks that I'm a visitor who happens to pass by the town, asks me 'would you like some salad?' This means, if I say yes, I will pay, and there will be no difference between the quality and quantity..In Fethiye you can eat the very same and standard food at different prices, if the distance between the fast food shops is one or two hundred meters..Why? the expensive one is 'on the road'.So what to do? If you choose to eat the chicken 'd

#6 Guest_Agamemnon_*

Guest_Agamemnon_*

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

unless you intend to eat in the tourist areas allow 50tl a day max per person. Drinking wine or beer in this heat is not a bad idea, its just bloody stupid. Develop a taste for Raki, drink with plenty of cold bottled water and you won't go far wrong.The food chain here I think is exceptional, fresh produce is of the highest, go to a market and buy fruit, wash it and get stuck in. ıf you eat like a local you won't spend much, and always always, ask the price first!

#7 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:41 PM

Aggie. Christine and her friends are Aussies and I think they may be from Queensland if so trust me the heat here won't be a problem for them. :) :)

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#8 Christine54

Christine54

• PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:44 AM

Thanks so much everyone for such great info. It gives us an idea of how much cash to take. We also now know to ask for prices first, that not everything is included, and where and what to look for.Abi, how did you know we were Queenslanders? Good call! We're from the Gold Coast so yes, we are used to the heat, but we believe our weather here is pretty much perfect all year round. Doesn't usually get below 10 deg C (50 F) in winter, and our summer average is 28-29 deg C (85 F), although we do get a week or so of temps in the high 30s. (nothing better than sitting outside on those evenings with an icy cold beer!)Agamemnon, I don't usually drink spirits but I'll listen to you and Josika and give the Raki a go. I want to try Turkish beer too. We went to Egypt 18 months ago and really enjoyed their beers and wines (and food). Saffron some great tips there, thanks, and the food sounds fantastic. We live in a tourist area ourselves, so I know what you mean about getting away from the main tourist strips. We'll certainly do that.Josika I do hope you enjoyed your trip to Australia, and yes, I do consider that we are RICH, because we're able to enjoy these wonderful trips in our retirement when so many can't! But alas, we're not rich enough to be able to spend whatever we like when we get there, so it's just as well we like the simple things in life. Sunny thanks for the tip on draught beer, ice and salads.Lucid, good tip about the water on the table, and although I don't like paying more than I have to, after your description, I think I might give the 5 lira wine a miss. :welcome: Cheers everyone. Can't wait to get there. Only 19 sleeps to go!!!

#9 jozsika

jozsika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:46 AM

G'day Christine,

"but we believe our weather here is pretty much perfect all year round. "

You meant "beautiful every day, perfect the next!" :thmbup[1]:

Lucky you!!

:beerchug[1]:

ps; I can see you can spell "beer".... :hysterical[1]:

Regards,

Edited by jozsika, 16 August 2010 - 08:46 AM.

#10 Christine54

Christine54

• PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

Hi again Josika

You meant "beautiful every day, perfect the next!"

Cheeky!!! You're a bit of a character aren't you!!! :thmbup[1]:
Actually, the ad is "Beautiful one day, perfect the next!" but you were close enough! :beerchug[1]:

Yes, we're really lucky with our weather here and I nearly put that slogan in my email but didn't because I thought it may sound arrogant! Our eldest (daughter) lives and works in Sydney now, where it's cooler, and she jokes that as soon as the temperature gets to 24C everyone wants to "hit the beach" because it's so hot, but she tells them that's still winter where she comes from.

You obviously know of the Gold Coast, so where are you from originally? Did you visit the Gold Coast on your trip here? If so, I hope you got away from the glitzy tourist strip and saw the real beauty of SE Qld.

I've been looking at lots of photos of areas we're going to visit in Turkey and they're absolutely breathtaking, and so vastly different. Add to that, everyone I know who has visited Turkey says the people are so great, and they're treated so well that I'd say you're "spot on", we probably won't want to leave.

Again, I can't wait to get there, and yes, I can spell "beer" but more importantly... how do I ask for one in a bar????

Christine :hysterical[1]:

Edited by Christine54, 16 August 2010 - 10:00 AM.

#11 Fil

Fil

Supreme Member

• Antalya
  • 1760 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

When I went on a day trip to Meis I was struck by the large number of aussies whose ancestors had come from the island. Does anyone know why so many seem to have chosen Australia? Or is it general pattern throughout Greece?
Mr Fil

#12 jozsika

jozsika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

G'day,

"so where are you from originally?"

MELBOURNE!!

:beerchug[1]:

You are right of course, should have been "one day"

Up to Cape York, there would be a few places that I haven't seen, including the islands and the

reef..

The West, I missed it somehow..

Maybe ıt was the because they didn't have meter maids... :hysterical[1]:

Regards,

#13 Cukurbagli

Cukurbagli

I'm on the sunny side of the street.

• Kaş
  • 4071 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:24 AM

Fil, a large number of the Meis inhabitants left during the Italian occupation which began in 1921. They went to Rhodes, Piraeus, Egypt, America and Australia. The population fell from about 9,000 in 1910 to 1,100 in 1941. There is quite a large community of ex Meis inhabitants in Australia now and many of them come to re-establish their roots and some to return to live or at least renovate their old homes.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average around here.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

#14 Christine54

Christine54

• PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

When I went on a day trip to Meis I was struck by the large number of aussies whose ancestors had come from the island. Does anyone know why so many seem to have chosen Australia? Or is it general pattern throughout Greece?

Hi FilI have no ties with Kastellorizo/Megisti/Meis (it seems to have so many names) and hadn't even heard of it until a year or so ago, but after we visit Turkey next month, we're going to stay in a friend's home on the island. His family originally came from Kazzie, as he calls it, and he's actually written a book about the island and the St John's fort. During its history, which dates back to neolithic times, it's been of great importance in maritime navigation, so it's come under the rule of many countries, and apparently at its peak, there were up to 15,000 people living on the island. It was under Italian rule from about 1920 then in 1943 British commandos landed on Kastellorizo and evacuated the whole population to Egypt to protect them from German air attacks. Most of them did not return, but took the British offer to emigrate to Australia, where there are now about 50,000. There are Kastellorizo clubs in most states of Australia, the largest being in Victoria. During the second World War the Castle and some homes were bombed and a fuel dump fire destroyed many other houses. The island was finally reunited with Greece in 1948 and many Greeks whose families came to Australia in the 40s (our friend included) have been returning to the island and renovating destroyed homes. Christine :hysterical[1]:

#15 Cukurbagli

Cukurbagli

• Kaş
  • 4071 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

Christine that book written by your friend sounds like the book I've got.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

#16 Christine54

Christine54

• PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

Ah, Josika, Melbourne is my second favourite city in Australia! I've gained the impression there are quite a few Aussies and Brits living in Turkey now. Is this correct?I'd say you've seen more of Qld than I have, Josika. I love Nth Qld and the reef too, specially the Quiksilver trip to the outer reef. We haven't been right up into Cape York or seen the west either, but we hope to get to WA next year. (It's almost as expensive to go there as Turkey!!!!) As for the Meter Maids, there was talk of getting rid of them recently but there was lots of support and a big fundraising effort to keep them.But back to more important issues... how do I order that beer???Christine :hysterical[1]:

#17 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11868 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

If you want one beer you say 'Bir bira'. If you want two beers you say, 'Iki bira.' 3-
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#18 Christine54

Christine54

• PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

Christine that book written by your friend sounds like the book I've got.

It's "The Knight's Castle on Kastellorizo" written by Vlas Efstathis (our friend) and John Pearn. I've always been interested in ancient history, so now I'm totally captivated with the history of an island I hadn't heard of a couple of years ago!!By the way, what's the best way to get to and from Kas from Kazzie? I'm assuming the Meis Ferry is really geared for people based at Kas so is it a problem travelling the other way? or should we try to get a local fishing boat? Our friends have said we must go to Kas but we didn't discuss how to get there. Unfortunately they're already on Kazzie and leave just before we arrive!Christine

#19 jozsika

jozsika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:15 AM

G'day,

"As for the Meter Maids, there was talk of getting rid of them recently"

ARRGGHHHH!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

:hysterical[1]: :beerchug[1]:

Sorry, forgot.

"Bİ" of BIT, "RA" of RACCOON..

Bİ-RA

There you go!

No XXXX here!!!

:cheers1[1]:

Regards,

Edited by jozsika, 16 August 2010 - 11:22 AM.

#20 Cukurbagli

Cukurbagli

• Kaş
  • 4071 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:04 PM

It's "The Knight's Castle on Kastellorizo" written by Vlas Efstathis (our friend) and John Pearn....

No that's not the one I've got, that sounds much more interesting.

By the way, what's the best way to get to and from Kas from Kazzie?

Just ask in one of harbour bars when you get there, everyone knows everyone else and most of their business too. I've sent you a PM with my phone number, give me a call if you're coming to Kas and we'll have a beer and I'll show you the market.Incidentally, to get back on topic, you'll have to budget for more per day while you're in Meis.