Alieninturkey

Alien Working In Turkey

29 posts in this topic

Merhaba arkadaslarI really need some help and do not know where or who to turn to!After working for 17 months for a Turkish company, promises of work permits and insurances have not been put in place. A lot of money is owed to me and I do not know who I can turn to to retrieve the monies that are due or even if I am entitled to receive these monies due to the company not applying for my legal paperwork.If anyone can help me please contact me as I am afraid of what will happen if I carry on this way.Many thanks

Hi Alieninturkey, Welcome to our forum. I was sorry to read your post as unfortunately there is nothing you can do to get your money that is owing to you It is unfortunate that you worked for someone who is dishonest even though you obviously didn't realise that until it was too late.I would advise anyone not to start working for anyone without a work permit firmly held in their hand. Dishonest employers have been know to inform the authories that someone is working illegally in their establishment even though they will be fined as the fine is smaller than the money owing to the unfortunate employee. The employee is also of the real risk of being fined and deported.Again, I am sorry to read your problem and sadly it is something you will have to chalk up to experience even though you believed that you were going to get a work permit. :drunk[1]:

Hello alieninturkey, welcome to Turkey Central. I'm afraid Abi is probably right and if you don't have a work contract and work permit you kiss the money goodbye. I suggest you stop working immediately if you haven't already, then at least you won't doing something for nothing. Whatever made you work for so long without getting paid? Didn't you become suspicious?

suspicious....yes thats the key word here id say.why would we contact someone we dont know more about? do you mean respond? as there is little we can do- is my guess to help your situation. i agree with the above response. Why would you work for a company for so long illegally?all very odd. Sounds like a scam allround and if you take risks then you have to take the concequences i think- thats my response on this one ...harsh but what i feel.

Thanks for the replies, not what I wanted to hear but hey.I stayed anonymous as I do not know if anyone from my work place reads these sites. I have worked so long with a basic wage but it is the commissions that are owed and not forthcoming.I have had advice from other sites and think I will contact the British Embassy to seek further legal advice, I am honest and hard working and do not find it fair that companies can get away with this.Thanks again, I hope I can write some positive news soon.

I'm not sure that the British Embassy will help you as you were working illegally which is a criminal offence, so why would they. If you report your employer you will be in trouble with the law and as I said before you risk being deported.

Thanks abi. Is the British Embassy not here to support us as Brits?I organised all the paperwork required and sent all the documents to my boss, all he had to do was fill in some of the company info and sign it then send it off. I was not aware that this was not done until recently, as far as I was aware, I had arranged all the necessary documents along with the purchase of my residency to make myself legal.What else could I have done?I hope that some official bodies can recognise that my attempts were completely fulfilled and it was then the company who failed to finish prossesing the application.

Yes indeed the BE is supposed to support British Citizens, but in this case you have worked illegally in the eyes of the Turkish Law, you have committed a crime. It won't matter to the law system here whether you filled out the paperwork and your employer didn't fill it in and send it off, the fact is you shouldn't have started working until you received a work permit, it's as simple as that.I'm sorry if I sound harsh but there are no grey areas here, yes your employers has broken the law as well and should be punished but I would caution you to be wary how you go in this case as I doubt very much if you will be seen as an innocent victim. I'm not a lawyer and could be wrong just going on what I have seen and heard of in the past.However, I hope you keep us uptodate in this matter as it will be of interest to a lot of people. :drunk[1]:

you either are legal or you are not here and doesnt matter what your intention is/was -answer being you worked illegally.i would be very careful what you now intend to do. If your work permit and residency were part and parcel at the time of supposed application / submission ,then your residency book would have your work place and dates of contract written in it (normally a yr in length). How did you get your residency book back without this? didnt you think it was odd? i mean there is a clear section for this on there-states what your status is here under professional status and changes. i would think yourself lucky you havent been caught already by the authorities and anyone else reading this remind yourself to check your employers progress with supposed work permits constantly....and ask for copies of any documents sent so far( and all of this BEFORE you start work with them). also remember your signature will be needed on the way more than once so it would be impossible to do without working with your employer at some point on it. It has been known to take 6 months in the past but should be less now we are told in the press from recent news /updates in such a process. so any fool working without one or indeed waiting longer than this period without any news or anything in hand has been lied to for sure and taken for a ride or shall i say let themselves to be taken for a ride.as mentioned above being an adult and a non turk you should have been more savy and i dont think your rights here are relevant but your responsibilities are.do let us know how your appeal goes. what an interesting outcome either way that will be.

a little harsh lol and also being called a fool is harsh (lucid)After researching this and speaking to a lawyer, the law actuall allows me to work as long as my application has been sent, not approved. If it is denied then I must stop work immediately but until it is granted I have full permission to work. I know this because reps who come over for the summer dont usually receive their permit until they are about to leave after they worked all summer.However, as far as I know the documents have not been posted, they still sit in my boss's office !I will now follow up on some good advice given on a different site (sorry admin!!) and keep all who have offered their advice updated. :drunk[1]:

No need to be sorry alieninturkey, we are not competitors. I hope farketmez's advice will help, good luck and please let us know about the results.

Abi and Lucid, if you read Daves it seems to be common and accepted practice for teachers to work while the work permit is being processed, but in this case letting the situation pass for so long seems extremely remiss. I think alien you are in a very difficult situation, you have my sympathy. I suppose the big question is, is it a clear plan on the part of the employer to cheat you, or is he just trying it on, seeing how far he can push it, maybe willing in the end to give you at least some of what you are due. Only you can say which is the case here.Thinking about it logically, though, if it is a deliberate con, then the perpetrator will probably be adept at defending himself in the courts. If it is not a deliberate con, then talking, talking and more talking is likely to be more productive than litigation.In theory you probably would be able to open a court case, and I am sure you will be able to find a lawyer who will tell you you can make a case, but the question is, has a case like this ever been one? If yes, go ahead, if no best not to. Going to court will certainly be extremely time consuming and expensive. All my wife's last three employers down here still owe her money, but she wrote it off as the time and effort required would just be too much. In two of the cases the employer was already constantly in court defending different cases and receiving frequent visits from bailiffs and the tax authorities. One more case would be just water off a duck's back, so to speak.There are employment courts that deal wıth cases faırly and properly, but you never know what skills or influence the other side has. My wife gave evidence in a case of unfair dismissal once where a colleague who had walked out in a huff was immediately told not to come. The former employee won the case.

Great news everybody.After meeting my boss this morning and producing all the legal information I received from the forums and friends I have now been paid in full over 15000tl.Better still, the boss was so embarrased that together we completed the paperwork for myself and the 6 other Brits working in the same company and all the applications have been sent off AND I have received a promotion to management including payrise and private car.I do not believe it worked out as well as it has, still cant believe it and need to thank everyone who gave me advice and pointed me in the right direction.I wish everything had a happy ending like this in Turkey.

Many congratulations and very pleased to see that there was a happy ending for you and everyone else in the end.Thanks for the update it's appreciated.

wow very impressive good for you :sofa: thanks for such a fast update that moved forward so quickly in only a few days!

Many congratulations, I'm glad it all turned out so well.

Work Permits are supposed to be processed in 30 days now but you know how that goes. Our company currently has a work visa and work permit in progress. I'll let you know how long it takes when it is completed.

:wub: to our forum Alien. I very pleased to here your positive result. Good luck with your future.

Yeehaaa! Congratulations Alien, how unusual to have such a happy ending to your tale of woe! :)

Work Permits are supposed to be processed in 30 days now but you know how that goes. Our company currently has a work visa and work permit in progress. I'll let you know how long it takes when it is completed.

We received the approved work permit today. It was applied for with the Ministry on 6 May and was actually approved on 21 May with a start date of 14 May.

Wow! Things are looking up. :)

Merhaba arkadaslarI really need some help and do not know where or who to turn to!After working for 17 months for a Turkish company, promises of work permits and insurances have not been put in place. A lot of money is owed to me and I do not know who I can turn to to retrieve the monies that are due or even if I am entitled to receive these monies due to the company not applying for my legal paperwork.If anyone can help me please contact me as I am afraid of what will happen if I carry on this way.Many thanks

You can threaten legal action. Mind you, you might run the risk of being thrown out of the country.Perhaps you should just try threatening legal action and see what happens...then you can decide what to do next.

I'm afraid you are in a dodgy position. As sara says you could be deported for working without a work permit so I fear there is nothing that you can do legally, and your employer knows this.I think you should look for employment elsewhere as soon as possible. You will be lucky to recoup any of your owed money.

Since alieninturkey's post was over a year ago it's likely this has been resolved by now, although I wouldn't put money on which side won.