Future Bodrum Resident

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MrsBudak

MrsBudak

• PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:38 PM

Hi All, I have posted in the general introduction topic but thought I would write something in the Bodrum forum too. I am currently living in the Manchester UK with my Turkish husband but have planned to rellocate to Bodrum in the next 2 years once we have saved enough money!. We are moving back with my parents next week as we are currently renting a house and don't seem to be getting anywhere with our saving! It's so so hard these day to set up home in the UK! Anyways we plan to settle either in Gumbet or Bodrum town and was wondering if anybody could recommend any local estate agents?Many Thanks Sam :drunk[1]:

#2 LiLi

LiLi

abnormal member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

Welcome Sam,My husband and I are hoping for the same thing maybe this year (although I have to work most of the year in Gebze). I will be grateful to hear any recommendations on real estate agents as well. Meanwhile I'm happy to meet prospective neighbors...One thing I've gleaned so far is that you will do well to hire a lawyer before you sign any contract, and it seems to me that it's safer and more expedient to buy an already lived-in home than a new one (especially beware of off-plan real estate). Lots of people on this forum are suffering at the hands of bad business practices and projects gone bad during the financial crisis, so do be careful.Many other folks have advised me to rent first before buying. Consider that as well.

#3 Izzy24

Izzy24

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:22 PM

Hi SamI live in Bodrum Centre with my Turkish Husband, we moved back here Xmas time 2009 so have been back 5m.... when we were first married 6yrs ago I moved over here to live with hubby and we stayed in Gumbet for just about 2yrs before moving over to Uk, it was a very difficult time for me and the biggest factor was trying to survive on Turkish wages, they just never pay enough to live moderately comfortable, we were always on the breadline, after nearly 2yrs I couldn't stand it any longer and we moved to UK ......... but Hubby never really settled there and work has always been difficult to obtain there (same as here really) so we decided to come back and try again..... with one massive factor..... I sold my UK home and the equity I took from it, not that much I may add and certainly not enough to buy another house here, but enough to bank and allow the monthly interest to pay our rent... without it we could never have come back....Can I ask have you ever lived here in Turkey before..... I ask this because I always think its a good idea to rent somewhere first for at least a yr before deciding to buy to get a feel for the place and to decide if this is really where you want to live, or can afford to live.... its so differant to just spending a few weeks at a time holidaying here.......also I dont know what your Hubby's work would be here in Bodrum but jobs are very scarce and difficult to find...... long term work is near impossible to obtain as Bodrum is mainly a tourist place, having said that I prefer to live here in Bodrum to Gumbet, when the season ends end Oct Gumbet becomes like a ghost town, everything closes so you can soon become isolated and very lonely, at least Bodrum keeps a few people here through the winter .................. After moving back here we soon realised how prices for everything have shot up and continue to do so, house prices, rent, electric, water, gas, food, petrol (more expensive than UK) residence visa (900TL for one yr) you name it and you'll be surprised at the price increase...so again renting gives you time to find long term work and decide if you can afford to live here.... Whatever money you manage to save you can invest in a Turkish bank and use the monthly interest to pay your rent like I do... that way you still have your lump sum intact when and if you decide to buy...Gone are the days of buying a decent property here for
Take Care...... Debbie

#4 MrsBudak

MrsBudak

• PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:35 PM

Hi Debbie, Many thanks for your informative reply! I worked out in Gumbet for the Season for 2007 which I suppose I can't really class as living there. I met my husband who was on his summer break from Uni and have been together ever since. He is now a qualified teacher but like your husband has found it extremely hard to get a job and is currently working in a catalogue warehouse packing clothing! He has found this very degrading as the majority of his friends who he studied with are now working as teachers in schools back in Turkey. I think you are right that we should rent before buying as I am sure like you say once your actually living over there you get to see what it is actually like! We are still discussing all our options really at this moment and our first priority is to save, save save!My hubby is originally from Mardin and studied in Kocaeli which is about an hour away from Istanbul. How easy did you find it intergrating into the community? Have you made many friends?Sam

#5 Lucid

Lucid

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:57 AM

Hi again...am i right in thinking qualified teachers here are often sent on posts far away from where they live or come from? obviously they can turn down the posts but our teacher friends were sent all over Turkey and often East of turkey for the 1st post as newly qualified government teachers. I didnt think the process was led by the individual , more like a pool of teachers that the school select from or am i wrong...?Maybe there is work available for him but not in the area you both prefer...as a teacher myself its a shame not to do what you are trained to do so i wish him well and if what i mentioned is true above that makes life harder for them to select an area/job that suits their needs /life...maybe this doesnt include private institutions though...i think i mentioned this in the other thread but its really important he has safe secure work in my opinion so he can support you if you cant find legal work long term...or your savings dry upi hope he finds a post in your area and as safe and boring as it sounds if you are serious about residing here FT long term consider how things you do now will affect things like citizenship later (thats if you choose to go for it one day)good luck to you both :drunk[1]: sorry i didnt answer your original questions about estate agents...many i see cover the whole area of Mugla county so you can select online your patch specifically. sahibiden.com is one we look at on a regular basis.

Edited by Lucid, 14 May 2010 - 09:00 AM.