Driving To Incirlik?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 KJB

KJB

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:31 PM

Hi again!We're officially coming your way.Has anyone here driven from a European country to Incirlik? We will be coming from Germany and we're considering driving, but we'd like some advice from someone who has done it.Anyone know what the deal is as far as best route, difficulties, etc.?We'd be traveling with our big dog and our kiddies. We have no fear of distance, but bad roads or scary people might give us (me :read[1]:) pause.Thanks!KJB

#2 Cukurbagli

Cukurbagli

I'm on the sunny side of the street.

• Kaş
  • 4082 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:43 AM

Hi KJB, there's a short report of a road trip from UK to Turkey here. I shouldn't think you'll experience too many problems apart from bringing your dog. You'll need to research thoroughly what records/certificates and injections/innoculations your dog will need. It would also be advisable to ask at Incirlik if anyone has any experience of it, you can't be the first one to have thought of it.By the way, your car will be totally safe in Turkey with a big dog sitting inside it. :read[1]:

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average around here.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

#3 KJB

KJB

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:19 AM

Thank you so much for the reply! I just read about her trip and I'm off to the map to see her route.I've heard you can take a ferry from Italy and that sounds interesting too.Thanks again! Very helpful to know someone else has done it and survived. I think our trip will be a little shorter than hers since we're already in Germany. :)

#4 Cukurbagli

Cukurbagli

• Kaş
  • 4082 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:33 AM

I have some friends here who brought two dogs from UK and the only time they needed documents was coming into Turkey, but that was five years ago.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

#5 Devilhawk

Devilhawk

Devilhawk aka Brian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:30 PM

A lady I work with drove from Italy to here and didnt really have any issues. She traveled with a dog and her two kids and husband. Just make sure to have the proper paperwork for the car.
Devilhawk

#6 techguy

techguy

Tech Guy

• Adana
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:12 AM

Another alternative is to drive to Italy and take a ferry to the Izmir area. I believe that there are two departure points for this in Italy, one near Aviano in northern Italy and another one in southern Italy. The ferry trips takes a day or two but you are not driving but enjoying the voyage. The trip from Izmir can be enjoyable depending on which route you take from there on: along the coast, through Konya, or otherwise.
TechGuy

#7 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11868 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:45 AM

Here is a link for the ferries from Ancona Italy to Cesme near Izmir.Marmara FerriesAnd here is More Information
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#8 KJB

KJB

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:14 AM

Thanks everyone!We're seriously considering the ferry route. We travel in late July, so it's going to be hot!If anyone has any further thoughts or suggestions, please post!I'll try and post what we do after we do it for future travelers.Thanks again!

#9 Cukurbagli

Cukurbagli

• Kaş
  • 4082 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:44 AM

I'll try and post what we do after we do it for future travelers.

That's what we like to hear KJB :) all contributions gratefully accepted.

#10 Ken

Ken

Kapıcı

• Antalya
  • 5599 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:30 PM

I had a friend who had an assignment to Italy after his assignment in Izmir, US Air Force. He traveled from Cesme to Brindisi Italy on the ferry. I believe he took his car with him. And that was on US Air Force travel orders. These ferries might be seasonal, though, I don't know if they operate year-round. Ferries are nice because you can relax and enjoy a little boat trip on the way, I recommend it. Nothing like having a relaxing boat trip along the way! But it's a very long drive from Cesme to Incirlik, and for that reason I might not recommend it. People often don't realize how BIG Turkey is, it's the same size as Texas. I used to drive from Incirlik to Izmir and back every month as part of my job, it takes all day to get there, like ten hours or so. It will take even longer from Cesme. Plus you might need a little Turkish to be able to get gasoline or if you have a problem along the way, if a big smile and various gestures don't work, of course!

If I were you, I would ship the car and fly to Adana rather than drive all that way (not just in Europe but in Turkey), but that's just me. Incirlik, of course, is right outside of Adana, and once you arrive at the airport, a taxi can take you there in less than 30 minutes. There are ample places to rent a car at Incirlik until your vehicle arrives, and you can get a good deal if you don't need the latest model of car.

If you do decide to drive, the best, most up-to-date information about the countries along the route can be found at http://travel.state.gov/. The US State department is responsible for having updated travel information for every country in the World. If you're going to drive, Please visit that site and click "International Travel" on the main menu, then navigate to specific countries from there. It's arguably the best travel advice you can get on the Web for travel by Americans to various countries, and it includes road conditions, things to look out for, etc. Do that for each country along the way, since some countries are more of a concern than others.

Well that's just my opinion, but offered to help make sure you arrive at Incirlik safely and with the minimum amount of hassle! :)

***   Want to do more to help? Then click follow_this_forum.png at the top right of any forum about a topic or place you know about.  You'll get an e-mail alert and an opportunity to help others in need. ***

#11 KJB

KJB

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:58 PM

We're here!We drove from Germany to Ancona, Italy and took the Maramara lines ferry. The ferry voyage took a full 48 hours. We stayed in cabins on the ferry which were adequate. The ferry had a restaurant and a cafe/bar. We traveled in our Suburban with two softside luggage carriers strapped to the top and our German Shepherd. We did not have to remove the luggage carriers from the top to ride the ferry. They had kennels for animals and our dog stayed with a geriatric schnauzer and a sad cat for roomies. The trip was hard on our dog, but she is doing better now. She's kennel trained and used to a kennel, but only getting out for a few hours a day was hard on her. We also have five kids, so we couldn't have her out as much as we would have liked.The ferry arrived at 1 am in Cesme. It took a full two hours to get through customs which was a little absurd. My husband's NATO orders were key to getting us moving. Surprisingly, they didn't care much about our dog and they didn't even make our kids get out of the vehicle (for which we were thankful).We drove from Cesme to downtown Izmir and stayed at the Hilton since they allow pets. We were chased by a pack of three wild? dogs through the streets of Izmir. The dogs heard our dog and wanted a recruit, I guess. That was a little scary but the Hilton made up for it. The Hilton was awesome. Tremendous views of Izmir and a overall great hotel. They allowed our dog to sleep in our room with us and (although they seemed a little afraid of dogs, no wonder with the crazy loose dogs in the city) were very friendly and helpful.We drove from Izmir to Ephesus and did a little sight seeing. Then we drove on to Pamukkale to see the hotsprings. We found a hotel (actually a guy on a moped found us and recruited us to stay at his place). We took our dog in this hotel with no problem, too.The next day we "power drove" from Pamukkale all the way to Incirlik. We went through Konya and found the highways to be surprisingly great. Overall, the trip was easier than expected. The roads were much better than we anticipated and services (gas, food, hotels) were everywhere. Everything was open very very late, too. Coming from Germany where services shut down early, that was really nice.We are now in TLF, tired, but happy to be here.Anyway, thought I'd post again in case anyone else is considering driving. I would do it again. Our only "complaint" was the lack of Western toilets on our route. Our kids, are especially glad to be back in the world of the tidy bowl. :)

#12 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11868 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:27 PM

Well done KJB. So glad to hear that you completed the trip successfully.Thank you very much for posting about your experience which will be a great help to others.I hope you and your family enjoy your life in Turkey. :)

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#13 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:52 PM

That was a good read KJB and thanks from me also for posting. It was nice to see that you managed to see a fair bit on your way down so well done to you. Glad you all arrived safely and you all enjoy your time in Turkey. :)

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#14 Devilhawk

Devilhawk

Devilhawk aka Brian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:19 AM

Glad you guys made it, i might make the trip in reverse depending on where I go from here...
Devilhawk

#15 Cukurbagli

Cukurbagli

• Kaş
  • 4082 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:43 AM

Sounds like a successful trip, thanks for posting it.

#16 moshahidmiah

moshahidmiah

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

hi i was wondering if it is possible to drive from england to turkey and back again and then back to turkey for a second visit within 6 months.

#17 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11868 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

A tricky question. A vehicle's stay in Turkey is limited to 6 months but I will have to check about leaving and re-entry.The visa, at present, is for 90 days and may be renewed at the end of that period by leaving and re-entering the country, which may be easy or difficult depending on where you plan to visit but it is rumoured that a new visa may be introduced early next year that allows 90 days in total within a 180 day period which may be better for you.