Graduate Programs At Turkish Universities

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Minnow

Minnow

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:04 PM

Hi all,In exploring some of my options, I came up with the idea of attending graduate school in Turkey. I obtained my Bachelor's of Science in Biology in 2007. I've been considering going back to school for Microbiology or something similar, but when I started to do some research earlier this week I kept running up against dead ends. For example, when I was browsing Istanbul University's website, I couldn't find any information about the application process, how to apply, or any prerequisites for admission on the English site. I know a little Turkish, but not enough to find my way around the Turkish site with ease. :read[1]: So my question to anyone who knows a little something about the higher education system in Turkey is how do I apply to this or other universities? Is a "mastery" of the Turkish language required for entry? I had read expat blogs from people attending school at Istanbul U (I think) in an art program and they were by no means fluent in Turkish. What's the best way for a non-fluent person to go about obtaining higher education in Turkey? I'm not dead-set on Microbio - I'd just like a degree that will provide me with an internationally in-demand job with good future growth potential. I'd be fine with going a completely different path like languages, literature, writing, business, etc. My area of speciality is in Ichthyology, but I learned a long time ago that that's a career path filled with long hours, low pay, and horrid job security :)Thanks in advance! :Turkey: Minnow

Edited by Minnow, 24 March 2010 - 09:19 PM.

#2 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

Minnow that sounds like a wonderful idea and hope that it is possible for you. I don't have any knowledge of what you would need, but found this link, not sure if it will be helpful or not. I'm sure Fil or Sunny may be able to answer some if not all of your question. http://europa.eu/you...ndex_tr_en.html

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#3 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11853 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:36 PM

I've posted a link to Bilkent Uni. in Ankara as I know they teach through English and I've also posted a link where you can find all the Unis in Turkey. Bilkent University Ankara Universities in Turkey

ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#4 Fil

Fil

Supreme Member

• Antalya
  • 1733 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:47 PM

Hello Minnow. Mastery of the Turkish language is only necessary for courses taught through the medium of Turkish. There are many courses that are taught through English that should be suitable for you. Most are at the Foundation Universities (aka private universities), but there are some English medium state universities, where the fees are considerably lower. Boğazi
Mr Fil

#5 Minnow

Minnow

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:06 PM

Abi, sunny, and Fil:Thanks so much for your links and information. I've just been browsing around the Bilkent and METU sites and they seemed to be everything that I was hoping for! I'm crossing my fingers that it isn't too good to be true. Even their application deadline is much later than many stateside universities: if I bust my rump I could potentially submit an application in June. Even METU has a great-looking Biomedical Engineering program with a website almost entirely in English. Seems like Ankara is the place to go for an English medium uni :read[1]:

#6 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11853 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:16 PM

I'm sure that there must be some in Istanbul, I just don't know which. :read[1]:

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#7 Minnow

Minnow

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:53 PM

It's ok sunny, I'm actually not that concerned with being in Istanbul. I'm more interested in Izmir, Bursa, or Ankara, so it works out well! :read[1]: Thanks again!

#8 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:04 PM

Be sure to let us know how it all goes, good luck :read[1]:

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#9 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11853 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:20 PM

Good Luck and as Abi says, keep us posted! :read[1]:

#10 Minnow

Minnow

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

Thanks once again everyone for your help, I just wanted to update the thread with the information I've managed to glean thus far. I went through all the websites on the link sunny provided regarding Universities (both private and public) and found out which ones offer instruction entirely and partially in English. I'll list them by city below.

Instruction Entirely or mostly in English:
Istanbul:
Dogus University
Bogazici U.
T.C. Yeditepe U.
Koc U.
Ozyegin U.
Bahcesehir U.
Beykent U.
Isik U.
Kadir Has

Ankara:
Bilkent U.
Atilim U.
Cankaya U.

Izmir:
Izmir Inst. of Technology
Yasar U.

Adana:
Cukurova U

Instruction partially in English, or selected courses offered in English:
Erzincan U. - Erzincan
Anadolu U. - Eskisehir
Sakarya U - Sakarya
Gebze High Tech. Institute - Kocaeli
Karadeniz Tech. U. - Trabzon
Cag U - Mersin (Their website does not mention English instruction but implies it.)

This is by no means an exhaustive list: I only included the schools that specifically stated that the language of instruction was English. There were several schools with well-written English websites and the implication that lots of international students attended, but never mentioned the language of instruction and these are not included on my list.

Hope it's helpful to someone else :P

#11 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:50 PM

Thank you very much Minnow for taking the time to type all that out as it is very good information, I have no doubt that it will be useful.

#12 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11853 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:55 PM

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post that very useful list Minnow.Good Luck in your application. Are you going to tell us which ones you are trying for? :P

#13 Minnow

Minnow

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:38 PM

You're most welcome, it's the least I can do for all your help!I will definitely update when I know which Uni's I will be applying to - first step is cramming for, and then taking the GRE! Most of the application deadlines are in June, so I have two months to take the test, get letters, transcripts, and applications out! Whew, lots to do! :)

#14 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:47 PM

Good luck with your studies Minnow :)