• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:03 PM

...has just been added to by the latest terrorist outrage. Probably you've all heard by now about the Nigerian who strapped explosives to his leg whilst travelling to the US. Luckily, he was thwarted but the result is extra security (meaning longer queues and extra hours) at the airports. This means Terminal 3 at Heathrow will be even more (!) fun than usual when I travel back. That means an even earlier start than usual. It's got so bad now at airports that one spends more time at the airport than in the air.Btw..my birthday is on January 1st - am travelling the next day. I don't much like this time of year and the Bodybuilders Diet had to begin early because I'm hoping to compete in the IFB, whose Federation starts a month earlier than NABBA which was the Federation of my last comp.

#2 Meral

Meral

Supreme Member

• Çeşme
  • 2139 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:53 PM

Don't envy you benh ! But I'll be interested to know how it goes at the airport (because I'll be travelling in just over a month)-- the news said new boarding procedures are to implemented but they may not be the same at every airport. Passengers may have to be properly frisked -- manually as well as electronically ! Terrorism is like a virus -- constantly developing ways around current security measures, thereby necessitating stricter measures. I wish you a safe journey home, a :beerchug[1]: and hope your fleas will not be there to greet you !
I am fairly certain that
Given a Cape and a nice Tiara
I could save the world.
........................ Author Unknown

#3 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:15 PM

Thank you Meral:) Also congratulations on being the only one to comment on my post! I was a bit surprised that nobody seemed interested in this. I am not sure how much it affects flights which are not to the US but on Saturday I will see for myself. You are lucky to be travelling in a month's time by which time the procedures will be run in and not causing so many delays. I have to get there early as I have to change my ticket and pay the penalty for the change and also (as usual) have overweight baggage to pay for.If they did better profiling (this guy was on a terrorist watch-list) we might not have to go through all this. El Al have had profiling and questioning for years and are way ahead of the game in this field.I rang my friend today and she said it is pretty mild in Istanbul so I fear I am going to have a few bites after my first night there:( I wasn't going to put the flea powder down until the Spring but that might have to change if it's really bad.

#4 mitchmoud

mitchmoud

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:55 PM

I am flying from Athens to the US via Munich on the 30th, and I too am not looking forward to it. Munich is always long for the security check, however it is preferable to being blown out of the air. Soon we will be flying naked, and I am not a body builder! There has also been a change to transatlantic flights. As of Jan 1, only 1 checked bag without paying extra.
High aspirations, Moderate expectations, Small needs.

#5 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:02 PM

I'm interested and amazed that he could manage to get through security with a syringe and the other things also that he was allowed to fly after his own father had contacted the authorities who were actually well aware of this man, yet he was allowed to fly. Really I have to say it beggars belief, unless they go round with a big sign on your head saying I'm a terrorist before they are caught, it seems like these people will unfortunately be free to murder more innocent people.

Edited by Abi, 28 December 2009 - 04:04 PM.

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#6 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:15 PM

Abi, yes really it does beggar belief. The thing is, that they always go to town on new security procedures, with the accompanying chaos and delays AFTER the event, as in shutting the stable door etc. If they had done the correct intelligence checks on this guy BEFOREHAND as you say, then this could have been prevented.Mitchmoud - I AM a bodybuilder but still like to keep my modesty:)) I think we ought to have bodyscanners however although some people are against them. Yes, it is the flights to the US which will be the most affected. I do think the security will be tightened up with other flights too. The new hand baggage rule is difficult. This is simply a re-imposition of a security rule of a few years ago when everyone had to have one hand bag irrespective. It had to be a certain size and it was a bit of a nuisance if you travel with a lot of hand baggage or a computer. Sometimes people just want hand baggage if they are not staying long or flying by budget airlines.

#7 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:34 PM

I agree Benh about bodyscanners. Not sure why only having 1 bag will make a difference, unless they mean that they have more time to screen people in which case it might be an idea of they used some of the money we have to pay for airport taxes to employ extra staff and machines to scan people and luggage.

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#8 Meral

Meral

Supreme Member

• Çeşme
  • 2139 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:42 PM

Bodyscanners seem to be inevitable -- we may have to forgo a bit of our modesty for the sake of communal safety -- after all, what's more important ? Everyone else being scanned makes me feel safer on the plane, and I'm willing to be scanned to make others feel safer.Somehow, I fear it's just a matter of time before the terrorists find another loophole ........... :beerchug[1]:
I am fairly certain that
Given a Cape and a nice Tiara
I could save the world.
........................ Author Unknown

#9 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:46 PM

*sigh* I hope this one bag thing doesn't mean I can't bring the carrier bag of ricecakes and crispbread I have packed to take with me, Abi:)Meral, the loophole would be a suicide bomber detonating BEFORE going through security i.e. in the security queues. I remember this happening in Israel in the early days of the intifada. Sadly you can never stop these nutters because they keep thinking of different things and the security measures are never in anticipation of anything new, just shutting the stable door after the last thing.

#10 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

Maybe the 1 bag rule will only be for flights to and from the USA, lets hope so anyway.

#11 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:23 PM

:lol: Yes, I just rang Turkish Airlines to check on my ticket change and also the baggage situation and nothing has changed as far as they are concerned thank goodness. Feel sorry for people travelling to the US though.