Divorce In Turkey

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sallylou

sallylou

• PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:26 PM

hi i was just wondering if anyone can advise me of some info. i will briefly explain. my fiancee is turkish and has always lived in turkey and i am english living in england. he was previously married to an englishwoman however he applied for a divorce in turkey (they never lived together have no assets and no children)and sent all the papers over to england his wife. after lots of waiting he was granted his divorce in turkey, and he is free to marry. however someone told me yes he is free to marry in turkey to another turkish woman if he wants but because i am english i was informed he would have to get his divorce papers translated and sent back to england to his wife then after sent back to consulate in ankarra so his divorce was registered. his kimlik still states he is married and when he asked them to change it back to single they said no not until ankarra sort out his divorce papers which makes me think why not if he is divorced in turkey why will they not change his kimlick. so i ask does anyone know the procedure for the divorce and why they wont change his kimlick

#2 Izzy24

Izzy24

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:39 PM

Hi sallylou.........If I understand you correctly your fiancee must have married this English woman in Turkey (as you say he has always lived in Turkey) if he sent all his paperwork to England for his ex to use in our divorce courts here in UK then they will be divorced in the UK, he may have used a Turkish solicitor to get in touch with an English solicitor here, you can appoint one to act on your behalf but as far as I'm aware a Turkish solicitor cannot act on your behalf for a divorce in the UK and visa verse...... but he would still be married in Turkey, maybe this is why his kimlic still states he his married..Although they were married in Turkey it's a legal ceremony and is recognised in the UK, so if say the woman wanted to re-marry (in UK) she would have to divorce him here in UK......... but the marriage would still be recognised in Turkey........ meaning she could not re-marry in Turkey or re-marry another Turk without first divorcing in Turkey as well.........This also applies to your Fiancee, if he wants to re-marry in Turkey he has to have had a divorce granted in Turkey not just the UK.........He needs to double check that he did actually go through a divorce in Turkey...... it has to go through the courts same as it does here...
Take Care...... Debbie

#3 sallylou

sallylou

• PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:22 PM

from what i can remember it did go to court because his brothers had to swear on oath that he was no longer with his wife. yes he got married in turkey and his solicitor sent all the papers to his wife in england for her to give power of attorney to his solicitor in turkey. after getting papers notarized and signed they went ahead with all the legal stuff and he was granted his divorce in turkey.. what i cant understand he has the paperwork saying he is divorced and free to marry in turkey but because i am english somewhere along the line his paperwork had to be translated into english and sent back to england then returned to ankarra consulate. but even if he wanted to marry a turkish woman why would they not change his kimlik. i really dont know what is real anymore

#4 Izzy24

Izzy24

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:26 AM

..........Hi sallylouI can't really help with this one, were you planning on marrying in Turkey.... if so I don't understand why you have to have his papers translated into English and sent here etc, as long as he has his papers and can prove he is no longer married he should be able to go ahead and marry who he likes in Turkey...Of course if you were to marry here in UK then I can understand why they would need the papers translating.I was divorced and had to have my divorce absolute Translated at Embassy in Istanbul before we could make our arrangements to marry in Turkey......We do have a couple of Turkish solicitors on this site maybe one of them may be able to offer some advice, it may take a little while for them to answer, as I don't think they look on the forum daily, but it shouldn't take too long...
Take Care...... Debbie

#5 sallylou

sallylou

• PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:24 AM

i dont know where we will marry yet because i want his divorce all clear before i even think about wedding. i really hope a solicitor on this site can answer my quereies. all my papers are sorted and done. it is his papers i refer to. he told or tried to explain that he is divorced in turkey and is free to marry again in turkey but only to a turkish woman but if he wants to marry me (english woman) he has to somehow send his translated papers to england to his ex wife or consulate i am not sure which then they have to be returned to the consulate in ankarra where a judge i think will grant his divorce . i am really dubious because i cant seem to find out the correct procedure

#6 jozsika

jozsika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:25 AM

G'day Sallylou,

"he told or tried to explain that he is divorced in turkey and is free to marry again in turkey but only to a turkish woman"

As far as I know,

This is not enough, his "kimlik" has to be changed to a "bachelor" status, PERİOD.

He can not get married in Turkey again unless it is done.

Either the divorce in Turkey hasn't got through yet, or there is something else..

He can only get married again in the country which has granted the divorce.

May I advice you to be VERY "dubious", just think why will your end is going to be different to the first wife!

(This is my personal thoughts..)

:fishing1:

Regards,

#7 lawyerinIzmir

lawyerinIzmir

Lawyer

• Izmir
  • 68 posts

Awards

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:20 PM

Hi; No need to do anything else If he's got divorce in Turkey and the final court dicision has been sentential. His İdentity card (kimlik) will change automatically after divorce. You do not have to do for it. Do not listen wrong advices and go ahaed. If you need help please do not hesitate sent a massage or phone call me. Good luck.
Sabahattin Yılmaz
YılmazKale law Office
Adalet Mahallesi Manas Bulvarı No. 30 Daire:1, Bayraklı İzmir
Tel : 090232 4625711 -441 02 41 Fax: 090232 4625719
Mobile 90 532 277 67 16

#8 sallylou

sallylou

• PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:52 PM

many thanks for giving up your time and trying to help me. i am now going to find out what is real or not. i have my divorce absolute and decree nisi which is all i need to remarry,and i want to know what would all his official divorce papers would be called in turkish so i can ask him if he has the required documents to remarry. do you think you could forward me your e.mail address and again thank you for your help

#9 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:11 PM

May I advice you to be VERY "dubious", just think why will your end is going to be different to the first wife!

(This is my personal thoughts..)

And mine too:))

#10 sallylou

sallylou

• PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:26 PM

dont worry that is why i am asking the questions before i do anything, i know somewhere along the line something is not right, there is a communication problem he has tried to explain the procedure to me but doesnt know the legal jargon in english that was why i was asking about his kimlick. we both went to a goverment building in denizli and saw a man about his papers being translated into english and sent to england. the man showed me a letter in english stating that my fiance,s papers had been lost in transit and therefore had to be redone and again sent to england. we then went to speak to someone else about his kimlick and he was told he cant change it until his papers get sent back to ankarra. we are just going round and round in circles its so fustrating i wish i could speak turkish myself because i would phone the office myself and find out what was going on. the goverment building was a 20/30 minute bus ride from the centre of denizli. it also had some kind of courthouse with a judge and people in gowns if that helps to explain what type of building it was

#11 Ken

Ken

Kapıcı

• Antalya
  • 5401 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:48 AM

Just a quick moderator's note... to reply, please go all the way to the bottom of the topic and click "fast reply" rather than using the reply buttons which have the quotation marks (") on them which quote that entire post. I've cleaned up the excessive quoting under this topic.

***   Want to do more to help? Then click follow_this_forum.png at the top right of any forum about a topic or place you know about.  You'll get an e-mail alert and an opportunity to help others in need. ***

#12 bluemountain

bluemountain

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:13 PM

something is too complicated in the explaitons so I will follow simple way. If the judge divorced them in turkey and if he is turkish he can go to identity branche of goverment in any city with the divorced paper from judge than he can get his identity. He can take his identity no married. BECAUSE ıf judge finished and he got divorced THAT MEAN = everything finished , no need to get any docuemnts etc. No doubt.If not divorced yet , of course he can not take identity as no married he has to wait to finish judge process.sorry but if he divorced exactly in turkey and if he is saying I can not get my identity etc. he is liar

#13 sallylou

sallylou

• PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:18 PM

in england i need my decree nisi and absolute to remarry, can you tell me the name in turkish of his legal divorce papers what he needs to remarry then i can ask them if this is what he has. many thanks

#14 Izzy24

Izzy24

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:50 PM

Hi Take a look at this web site it gives lots of info for marrying in Turkey and the Turkish names of the documents..http://www.turkeytra.../documents.htmlIf you have been married before you will have to obtain from your local registry "A Certificate of non Impediment" you will only need your decree absolute but you will have to have this Translated into Turkish...... you can get this done at the British Embassy in Istanbul, where you will also register your marriage to be, and they kinda put up your bands like here.......... when we went back to collect the Translated documents our names where on the board along with lots of other people, they are up there for 3 weeks.. just in case anyone wants to object I suppose like here....
Take Care...... Debbie

#15 sallylou

sallylou

• PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:56 AM

hi thanks for the info but i meant if i was to wed in england i have to ask for his divorce documents and i wanted to know the turkish name for the papers he would need