Best Place To Live In Turkey

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 upsydaisy

upsydaisy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:03 AM

Hi :) I want to move to Turkey and want to make sure the place I move to is the right one for me and my son. I can't tour the whole country so any tips on what sounds close to what i'm looking for will be great ;) !- I want some where near a clean beautiful beach/beaches- somewhere touristy with some other brits living in the area- not a huge city but not a small town either- somewhere with work opportunities and to start a business etc- somewhere with very good schools and an open-minded multicultural environment- a safe area - somewhere with lot's of activities/watersports/events etcIf you know anywhere that matches the above pls let me know :) Thanks!
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

Galileo Galilei

#2 AliceWakefield

AliceWakefield

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:08 AM

I think a lot of people will be interested in the reply to your question. I love Turkey but don't have beaches, clean air or many people who speak English. I do have unbelievable fresh fruits and vegetables, many ancient city sites to explore, beautiful snow-capped mountains, very, very friendly Turkish people who tell me with gestures how glad they are I am here. Priceless.

#3 mimosa

mimosa

• Çeşme
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:22 AM

Hi Upsydaisy. I have three suggestions. First Mamaris, which is a sizable town by the sea. Second choice, Fethiye, a little further south, the third would be Bodrum. All these places meet your criteria, not too small not to big, all with loads of sporting facilities. Good luck!

#4 upsydaisy

upsydaisy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

Hi Upsydaisy. I have three suggestions. First Mamaris, which is a sizable town by the sea. Second choice, Fethiye, a little further south, the third would be Bodrum. All these places meet your criteria, not too small not to big, all with loads of sporting facilities. Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies :) ! Marmaris is were I went and although nice I wouldn't move there because the beach was very dirty, rubbish and cigarette butts littered everywhere... I was a bit upset because i'd paid more just to have a hotel nearest the beach and had to take a bus just to find a clean beach where my son could play without picking up rubbish with every handful of sand.... I haven't been to the other two so will look into that, thanks ;) !A beach is very important to me so I won't relocate anywhere without one nearby... would love to visit other parts of Turkey for days out though :) are there any areas you could suggest for visiting? :)
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

Galileo Galilei

#5 RememberMeAlanya

RememberMeAlanya

Alanya Expert

• Alanya
  • 719 posts

Awards

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:51 PM

HelloMarmaris and Bodrum are nice, but a lot of facilities are closed in the winter.Alanya has a few beaches with the 'blue flag', that means they have the clearest water.Also here are always some restaurants and facilities open, during the winter.The temperature is around 10 degrees Celsius in the winter, and in the summer in july and august 45-50 degrees Celsius ( okay hot, but a swimmingpool in the area, airconditioning and the sea are very nice :) )More information about Alanya : http://www.alanya.be...onEN/kamera.aspThis is the official website of Alanya, with a lot of information on it to be found.Fethiye is a beautifull place, blue seawater, but I haven't been there, so I can't tell you anything about it
Remember me restaurant/bar
Oba, Alanya/Antalya
(009)0242 5143109

#6 Yasemin

Yasemin

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

Icmeler is next to marmaris, there are some lovely properties there and it is quieter. We sometimes go there for the beach. This area is also popular with Turkish tourists. The local bus service is fantastic if you don’t have your own transport. Icmeler is quieter in the winter but I would live there in a second! I am not sure about schools in other areas; I believe Marmaris has some good private schools. There are too many places to recommend!

#7 upsydaisy

upsydaisy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:57 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies :) !There are now a few places i'm considering ;), Bodrum, Fethiye, Alanya, Ichmeler, Antalya, and Dalyan Does anyone have any more info regarding these particular towns? What is my BIGGEST priority is good schools.Aside from a good school I really want a town that has additional educational opportunities for children, such as classes/courses in performing arts, swimming, guitar, computing, martial arts, etc etc.These towns are all near the beach(I hope clean ones :) !), and all look very beautiful from what i've seen on the net.What attracted me to Bodrum is the Diving! I really want to live in a town with alot of activities/watersports etc. A fair amount of tourists visiting is important too as I have to make a living and hope in the future to open up some sort of business geared at the tourism market.Any more advice on the above locations or any others you can suggest will be very appreciated :)! Thanks :)

Galileo Galilei

#8 RememberMeAlanya

RememberMeAlanya

Alanya Expert

• Alanya
  • 719 posts

Awards

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

Hello again,There are some very good international schools in Alanya. Diving is your hobby, I think, the beaches of Incekum, Avsallar and Kleopatra Beach have the 'blue flag ' .. this means these beaches have the clearest, brightest seawater.A lot of English people are living there already, in Oba and some other parts of Alanya, because the temperatures here are in the winter higher then in the other parts of Turkey, around 10 degrees Celsius. Okay, sometimes it is raining too much, but if not, the banana-, orange- and lemontrees don't survive the hot temperatures in the summertime.Enough things to do, a little bit less in winter. If you want to open a business: Our partners have chosen for Alanya. Living in Turkey means a 12 month money guaranteed income, not only for the summerseason, which is here 9 months. In other cities the summerseason is 5 or 6 months, but then nothing anymore. Private hospitals:Can hastane and Baskent hospital. 2 excellent private hospitals, with personel who are able to speak several foreign languages. For more information about Alanya you can check the Alanya topic.Good luck!
Remember me restaurant/bar
Oba, Alanya/Antalya
(009)0242 5143109

#9 tedinturkey

tedinturkey

• Izmir
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:32 AM

I have lived in turkey for 25 years and have spent time in all the locations that have been recomended to you, but I have been settled in Urla, Izmir (15 years), a short journey down to alacati, cesme lots of sports clean beaches and Swedish Denmark and Norway TouristsTed