• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11866 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:29 PM

Drinking even a single glass of wine a day can increase the risk of cancer by 168%, a new French study has found.Researchers in Paris have destroyed the myth that drinking moderate amounts of red wine can be good for the health.Instead, experts at the country's National Cancer Institute have warned that even repeated small doses of alcohol can massively increase the risk of getting cancer.The Institute's president said: 'Small daily doses of alcohol are the most harmful.'There is no amount, however small, which is good for you.'Even drinking one unit of alcohol per day - a glass of wine, half a pint of beer or a single measure of spirits - can send the risk of mouth or throat cancer soaring by a massive 168 per cent. The findings contradict numerous other studies which have found that the antioxidants in red wine actually reduced the risk of cancer, and that a single glass a day was also good for the liver.A separate study last year published in the medical journal Neurology said those who drank modest amounts of alcohol developed dementia, including Alzheimer's disease, at an 85% SLOWER rate than those who did not drink.Talk about being between a rock and a hard place!
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#2 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

First it was smoking and now it's drinking :spacecraft[1]:

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#3 Addie

Addie

• Çeşme
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:07 PM

If you listened to all the medical *experts* you wouldn't eat or drink ANYTHING!!!!

#4 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:19 PM

Absolutly right Addie, and welcome to the forum. Are you living in Turkey?, maybe you couple take a couple of minutes and go to the Meet and Greet section and tell us a bit about yourself, not that I'm nosey - well not much :spacecraft[1]:

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#5 dande

dande

• Çeşme
  • 1382 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:08 AM

More reports from medical and nutritional

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page" (St. Augustine)

#6 tedinturkey

tedinturkey

• Izmir
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:14 PM

I only drink a glass (1ltr) of red wine a day

#7 Cukurbagli

Cukurbagli

I'm on the sunny side of the street.

• Kaş
  • 4063 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:59 AM

Mouth and throat cancer eh? So if you pour it straight down the middle it's ok? :hysterical[1]:

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average around here.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

#8 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11866 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:37 PM

That sounds like a good way of getting round it. :D
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.