• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Meral

Meral

Supreme Member

• Çeşme
  • 2207 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:06 PM

The following information was found on another forum, which (unfortunately) did not state the source.Running a mobile phone in Turkey, even when just visiting for a short periods, is not only much cheaper than using your UK phone in extortionate roaming mode, but it also means your local resident friends will ring you more often.But the problem with running a mobile phone in Turkey is that the credit, known as kontors, can be forfeited and the number deleted unless more credit is added from time to time. The section below, an extract from a phone account, shows the various cut off periods for a phone that was recharged on 20 June:As of 27 June 2008 , your account is, active. If you do not rechargeAfter 18.September.2008 you can still receive incoming calls but can not make any outgoing calls. After 17.December.2008 you can not receive or make any calls. After 16.January.2009 your account will be closed. This has been a problem for infrequent visitors to Turkey as additional credits could only be added using the actual phone when it was connected to the Turkcell network in Turkey. The way around this was to leave your phone, instructions and a kontor card with a friend or neighbour resident in Turkey for them to update at the right time. This usually isn’t a problem but, from time to time, things can go wrong and you come back to a dead phone and an embarrassed friend/neighbour.But now you don’t need to bother your friends and neighbours as there’s a way to add credit yourself. As long as you have an internet connection, a Turkcell phone and follow our step by step guide you'll remain topped up and connected.So what do you need to do? 1. Send a text containing the word ‘password’ to 2222. You will receive your numerical password as a text in a matter of minutes. YOU MUST BE IN TURKEY AND ON THE TURKCELL NETWORK TO DO THIS.2. Go to http://www.turkcell.com.tr/en and click on the online services picture (computer mouse picture near the top of the page) 3. On the next page fill in the log in form as instructed including your password from step 1 above.4. When you have completed the form you will then be asked to change your password. Complete that form and return to the log in page.5. Fill in the log in form again as instructed6. You will now see, assuming you completed the form correctly, the ’Hazir Kart’ page showing you have logged into your account.7. Click on the ‘Counter Recharge’ menu and you can add new knotors to your account using a credit card.We found the Hazir Kart site fairly easy to use. Most of the pages are in English but some Turkish menu items have slipped in too. It also offers many other great features such as a check yof our current credit level, cut off dates, PIN and PUK number, change the Line Services language to English, barring of international calls and much more.Oh, and before we go it really is worth asking the ‘Tariff Laying Chicken’ which is the best tariff for you. Go to this link http://www.turkcell.com.tr/en/plans to see what it says. Click on the picture of the cartoon chicken, wait for the window to load, turn up the volume and answer the questions. It may not find a better tariff than the one you are on but it's very funny!__________________
I am fairly certain that
Given a Cape and a nice Tiara
I could save the world.
........................ Author Unknown

#2 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:13 PM

I tried it but the web page was down:(Then i tried to top it up using the Buy Units sign at the top but that failed too and although I gave my credit card number etc it ended by telling me some long message in Turkish and nowhere to close the window so I just gave up...

#3 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:34 PM

As I understand it you have to be out of the country quite a few months to lose your account. Last time that happened to me I just got a new number as soon as I came into Istanbul and told everyone who needed to be told my new number. It's a bit of a hassle but there is an upside to it which is that you can lose anyone who is hassling you!!:)))I remember when I lived in Italy some guy who got my number (I stupidly gave it to him) positively harrassed me by ringing constantly. But Italian cellphone prepay accounts last longer than Turkish ones!The other problem with Turkcell etc is that they do not operate in the EU countries so they cannot be topped up there and the line is blocked which is a pain. Any reason for this?Similarly you cannot use a phone bought in the EU with a Turkish cellphone card..rather a sly way to get you to buy their mobile phones which cost more here!

#4 Meral

Meral

Supreme Member

• Çeşme
  • 2207 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:27 PM

Sorry it doesn't seem to be working, Benhalterci, I wish I could help sort it out ! It was just an interesting article I "swiped" from elsewhere, and took it at face value, thinking it may be of some use to members. I wonder whether anyone else has managed to make it work ?
I am fairly certain that
Given a Cape and a nice Tiara
I could save the world.
........................ Author Unknown

#5 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:02 PM

Meral no problem and thank you for being so helpful as to post it on here:) Certainly if it did work it would solve the nuisance of having to buy new lines and change one's number each time we enter Turkey (those who are away for a while anyway).By the way, one thing I would like to challenge about the article; I visited Istanbul on Feb 1 this year for a weekend, then didn't come back until 18 June and my Turkcell SIM was still working, receiving and making calls etc so I wonder at the accuracy of the above article vis a vis timescales. However, before my Feb 1 visit I had been away from Turkey since August 2007 and yes, my line was cancelled and the credit deleted when I came here in February.

#6 PeterW

PeterW

• PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

I have been following the replies concerning topping up a Turkey (Turkcell) mobile phone when in the UK.I have tried to top up on the Turkcell web site. Got access to my account by using my"superpassword" , entered my credit card details with my secure code for using my UK credit card on line but failed because it kept stating I needed and "SD code". Please contact my bank. As stated I did use my UK on line extra security code but it still said I needed and SD code. Has anyone got any ideas what this is? or How you obtain it for paying using the Turkcell web site.My turkey phone is due to lose it's number if I don't pay by 1st MarchThanksPeter Woodford

#7 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:26 PM

Yes there is obviously some glitch on their website. You'll just have to do what I had to do and buy a new SIM card when you come back to TR and let people know your new number. Unless you have a kind friend who can top up for you whilst you are away.

#8 PeterW

PeterW

• PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

Thanks. I will try and ask someone who is over there to top up.NOTE: Just read my commnets again. I should have said that Turkcell web site asks for 3 D code not SD coderegards