• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 VillaOlivio

VillaOlivio

Hotel Owner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

Just don't know where to put it elsewhere in the world and I saw this complaint forum.My complaint are the prices on the airports of Turkey.When I'm at Milas (bodrum) airport I have to pay euro 8 for simple fries and cola.its really unbelieveable and I hear all tourists complaining about this.Its really not a good goodbuy if you go home after a wonderful holiday in a wonderful and friendly country.So...I have said this ;-)Jeroen

#2 KangalKid

KangalKid

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:29 PM

ive paid 12 lira for a small bottle of beer, and im not a drinker dunno what made me buy one in the first place and really regretted it when the bill arrived ! made me feel like bringing it back up and puting it back in the bottle and handing it back , ok ok only kiddin' lol
Kind Regards

Kangal

#3 JK1

JK1

Supreme Member

• Marmaris
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:18 PM

The answer is don't buy the stuff. We always take sandwiches with us and drinks to Bodrum or Dalaman airports. Last time I was there a very lively young man stopped me urging me to buy coffee and cakes. So I looked at them and smiled and then told them exactly what I thought of the prices they were charging - they were speechless.Only when no body buys the stuff will they start to think. I believe though that the rents on the premises in those airports are very high - hence the very high prices.

#4 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11868 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:35 PM

I do the same as you JK and take my own food and drink. I think you are right when you say the reason for the high prices is the very high rent for the shops. Perhaps we should protest to the airport authorities?
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#5 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:36 PM

I always take my own food and drink as well.

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#6 Sirin

Sirin

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:50 PM

Dalaman Airport is also astronomical!

Taking food and drink is a great idea - but one time we stocked up at Tansas, only to have our drinks taken off us at security. I wasn't 100 percent convinced that this was an anti-terrorism measure..... we were certainly hijacked by the shop owners once we got in.

If it's any consolation, we once travelled to Istanbul and changed at Prague. The prices there were the same, if not worse. We paid

#7 Steve

Steve

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:52 AM

we also take food and drink ,with us after we got stung for 28ytl for 2 beers and a small bag of peanuts,the staff behind the counter must get a lot of stick ,as they don,t make the prices,best thing to do is to boycott the and see if they put down there prices ,similar situation coming out of ephesus,the resaurant,on the left, they think you only go to these place one time.. ok you cannot take your food and limiteddrink through customs at izmir ,so outside the airport is a cafe with reasonable price ,the coach drivers and taxi drivers use it also we have used it, in the past. ;)

#8 KangalKid

KangalKid

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:15 AM

i only drank the beer out of sheer bordom and that broke 10 mins of my time of strolling around for hours on end .cant bring bottle on the plane so when im waiting for connecting flightsi have no option to buy at the other end, usually fanta but thought a beer would be a change i sometimes have 5 hrs of waiting also i need a cig and the bars are the only place where i can smoke at istanbul so feel embarassed walking in and sitting down and not wanting to drink anything bought from them, i just presumed i'd be asked to leave or can anyone tell me otherwise and that its accepted to sit in one of these palces and notbuy from them.i wasnt even allowed a bottle of water on the plane (in the uk) for some pills so i have to disturb people after we hd all settled in our seats to go and ask for a pot of water.luckily ive not had to travel this year but next will be different
Kind Regards

Kangal

#9 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:04 PM

I always used to sit in the coffee shop in International arrivals and no one used to bother me. Now of course you can't smoke anywhere in the airport, so it's going to be fun as you will now have to go outside and come back security.I have now got an HSBC credit card so I can use their lounge free in the International terminal, and an AK Bank credit card which gives me free access in the Domestic terminal. At least I get free food and drink, as like you I usually have a minimum wait of 5 hours for my connecting flight.

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#10 JK1

JK1

Supreme Member

• Marmaris
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:13 PM

I have never had a problem taking any food and drink into Dalaman airport and we sit at the cafe tables and eat our own food. No one has ever tried to stop us. As for the drinks at UK airports I can accept that as it is a security measure and the more security the better in my opinion. I too have pills to take and you are allowed to buy bottles of water in the departure lounge or even fill your own bottles from the taps. I believe one of the forums had a petition to sign regarding the prices at Dalaman. I can't say I have noticed any difference though. Tell people who don't know about the prices and then hopefully fewer will buy and the message will get through. I was told the rents were so high due to the cost of building the new terminal. Mind you they were just as bad in the old terminal. There is a cafe outside the terminal building which I'm told is cheaper.

#11 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11868 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:22 PM

I always like to have a bottle of water with me when I travel so I take one to Heathrow, drink what I want then empty the rest. They let empty bottles through, then I fill it up again at one of the drinking fountains outside the loos.

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#12 rozzici

rozzici

• Alanya
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:31 AM

I'd watch out for Antalya airport too, it really is full of rip-off artists that clearly feast on the not so savvy package tourists. I flly out of there regularly, and whilst I dodn't fall for any of it, it's annoying and a little insulting. You get your usual

#13 Boatless

Boatless

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:17 PM

This is Turkey absolutely.My answer is don't go at all.

#14 esper

esper

• PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:33 PM

This is no different to other airports around the world. Obviously the Turkish airports saw what other airports were doing and said "we'll have some of that".The answer is simple. Just don't buy it. Take a book and your own food instead. Or, you can do what I did, albeit inadvertently, order a coffee and then when they ask for the twenty three thousand lira or whatever it cost, look utterly dumbstruck and say "sorry, that's taking the ****", and walk away. BTW - if you are using Dalaman airport don't forget there is the cafe/restaurant outside of the airport building. I hear their prices are 'normal'.

#15 IbrahimAbi

IbrahimAbi

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:59 PM

At Antalya there is the kiosk in the car park at International, I think it may be called 'bahce' it is reasonable. My wife and I check in and then head back out again for cheaper refreshmentshope this helps

#16 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11868 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:27 PM

Thanks IbrahimAbi.