• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11866 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:49 PM

A SEASIDE VIEW - DİDİM Saturday, March 29, 2008 Foreign branch takes root An often quoted line is
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#2 lozengelegend

lozengelegend

• Altinkum
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:52 AM

Unfortunately, Didim's foreign residents haven't felt that their efforts have been reciprocated. This week we lost the "Mahalle Reps", a group of volunteers representing locally-based expats and helping them with issues, very much like a consulate or a Turkish Kaymakam. This group were invited to form early last year by Didim's mayor, Mumin Kamaci, but disbanded this week through sheer exasperation! And what a shame - a group of motivated and dedicated people giving up because of the lack of support from and traction with the very local authorities who invited them to set up in the first place.http://www.turkishda...?enewsid=109604I understand that Didim's British population is more than that of Bodrum, which has an Honorary Consul that offers basic services like Passport renewal. Unfortunately not enough of Didim's British residents have declared to the Consul that they are actually here so the official numbers show otherwise - which means we will have to continue to trek to Bodrum or Izmir to carry out our official business.

#3 Ken

Ken

Kapıcı

• Antalya
  • 5411 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:15 AM

A lot like my business experiences here, again and again. At first it's all smiles, handshakes, and pats on the back. Then I do my part of our agreement, and the other person doesn't do theirs. Lots of talk, but no action.

***   Want to do more to help? Then click follow_this_forum.png at the top right of any forum about a topic or place you know about.  You'll get an e-mail alert and an opportunity to help others in need. ***

#4 lozengelegend

lozengelegend

• Altinkum
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:47 AM

It's a shame - but I've found that the philosophy here is often "think of today, not of tomorrow". So investment in something that doesn't immediately bring a tangible result tends to fall by the wayside. Hence the pension adverts running at the moment with the middle-aged men in superhero lycra suits cleaning windows or selling doner kebabs - in our youth we did heroics, not pensions, and now we regret it!