Replacement For Birth Certificate When Marrying Iraqi

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Temzen

Temzen

• PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:15 AM

[color=rgb(50,61,79);font-family:'Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;]Hello everyone[/color]

[color=rgb(50,61,79);font-family:'Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;]I am in desperate need of help and hope someone out there knows about this.[/color]

[color=rgb(50,61,79);font-family:'Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;]I am a european wanting to marry my Iraqi fiancee in Turkey. Most legal sites says we require a birth certificate to do this. She does not posses this, and I read it is considered more unreliable than the Civil Status ID from Iraq, which she has, as well as a passport.[/color]

[color=rgb(50,61,79);font-family:'Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;]Does anyone know if in the case of Iraqis that this can serve as a replacement?[/color]

[color=rgb(50,61,79);font-family:'Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;]Thank you in advance![/color]

• Doncaster likes this

#2 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

Hi Temzen and welcome to our forum.  Yes, an original birth certificate is required,  You didn't mention whether she has or will get a Certificate of No Impediment as well.  It can be called different things in different countries but basically it's a document that confirms that she is single and free to marry.

I suggest that she contacts the Turkish Embassy in Iraq to ask their advise or if you are living in Turkey you contact the registery office where you will submit your paperwork.

Although you may be aware of the legal requirements here is a link listing all of them just in case you aren't.

Good luck, I hope it all goes well and would appreciate any feedback on your progress as it maybe helpful to others who find themselves in the same situation. Posted Image

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#3 Aston

Aston

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

As a lawyer in the UK I have dealt with Iraqi clients who have married British citizens and this is what I know.

[color=#000000;][font="'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"]Iraqi birth certificates are usually issued by municipal offices or by the Department of Civil Status and that anyone with an Iraqi passport should be able to obtain an official certificate, in English and in Arabic, indicating the date and place of birth. However ,birth certificates can also be issued by the Statistics for Health and Life Section of the Ministry of Health (Wizarat al Saha) and then stamped by a hospital.[/color][/font]

[color=#000000;][font="'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"]The[/color][/font][color=rgb(63,63,63);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;] [/color][color=#000000;][font="'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"]Iraqi ID Card[/color][/font][color=#000080;][font="'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"] ([/color]Haweea Sharssea Iraqea)[/font][color=#000000;][font="'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"], also known as Civil Status ID Card or Civil ID Card  is far more "useful and important" than the birth certificate as it provides the date of birth and the names of both parents, in addition to marital status   This is reissued at key times in an Iraqi nationals life.[/color][/font]

[color=#000000;][font="'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"]The United Kingdom (UK) Border and Immigration Agency indicates that the primary identity documents that Iraqi citizens require are the Iraqi Nationality Certificate [/color][/font][color=#000080;][font="'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"]([/color]Shehadat Jinseea[font="'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"])[/font][/font][color=#000000;][font="'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"] and the Iraqi ID card.[/color][/font]

[color=#000000;][font="'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"]Certificates of Non Impediment are NOT issued in Iraq the civil ID card acts as proof of the persons marital status.[/color][/font]

I do hope this information helps you ,Good luck Posted Image

#4 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

Lets hope that the Turkish authorities mind set is the same as the UKBA :)

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#5 Temzen

Temzen

• PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

Yeah this is my problem, it is very hard to get the Iraqi's to actually produce these documents, it can take more than 3 months which we do not have.

I know about the legal requirements, I just was wondering if you knew if there are exceptions in the case of Iraqis, she does have her Civil ID card for example, as prove of non-marriage. And cannot obtain other documents, I just assume the Turkey's officials are used to dealing with this situation, since there are many Iraqis in Turkey? 

As well as the signature from the "head of the family" which is impossible in our case, since her family does not approve of our love. 

We do not have a lot of options as to where to get Married, none of us actually live in Turkey, we just need a place that we can both get visas to.

#6 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

If you can get the documents even though you will have to wait a long time for them the authorities may expect you to do just that.  If you haven't been in touch with the Turkish Embassy it would be a good idea if you did and see what they to say.

#7 Temzen

Temzen

• PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

Yeah I wrote to them a few days ago, no reply, same with the embassy in my country.Unfortunately we do not have a long time, since it's a matter of life and death situation, we also cannot risk applying for too many documents atleast not in her current country of residence, out of fear of her family finding out, hopefully we can find a place in this world willing to marry us.

#8 Aston

Aston

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

I quoted the UKBA but all western countries, Canada ,USA  EU and UNCHR accept the documents I have mentioned. Some of the clients I mentioned earlier married in Jordan.

Where are you planning to marry exactly, and who is arranging your marriage?  I think the best people to ask are the officials at the marriage office in Turkey . Ask them what documents are acceptable.

• Doncaster likes this

#9 Temzen

Temzen

• PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

I was thinking Istanbul, but it really doesn't make a difference to me, all I care about is that we get married, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make it happen.Could you link me to some officials? 

Thank you so much for your help!

I hadn't looked into people arranging the marriage, since those I found did not take care of the legal sides of the issue, and we are not going for a big romantic wedding etc, we can have that later once we gain residency in the same country. With friends and family.

#10 Temzen

Temzen

• PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

Found a list of marriage bureaus in Istanbul, but only with phone numbers not email, I feel like an email would be better documentation for my request.On the other hand the Iraqi embassy is in Ankara so might be more beneficial to do it there (though they probably has some consulate in Istanbul as well).

#11 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

It would be a good idea to contact the Iraqi Embassy in Ankara or the Consulate in Istanbul for more information as well. You would have to make contact with them anyway if you get married in Turkey.

Consulate-General of Iraq in Istanbul

ADDRESS Gazeteciler Sitesi Hikaye Sok. D:3

Esentepe, Şişli, İstanbul
Turkey PHONE [color=rgb(102,102,102);font-size:.8em;font-family:'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif;]LOCAL:[/color] (0212) 262.6335
[color=rgb(102,102,102);font-size:.8em;font-family:'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif;]INTERNATIONAL:[/color] +90.212.262.6335 FAX [color=rgb(102,102,102);font-size:.8em;font-family:'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif;]LOCAL:[/color] (0212) 299.7442
[color=rgb(102,102,102);font-size:.8em;font-family:'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif;]INTERNATIONAL:[/color] +90.212.299.7442 WEB SITE http://www.mofamission.gov.iq/turc

Link

#12 Doncaster

Doncaster

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:50 AM

[color=rgb(50,61,79);font-family:'Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;]Hello everyone[/color]

[color=rgb(50,61,79);font-family:'Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;]I am in desperate need of help and hope someone out there knows about this.[/color]

[color=rgb(50,61,79);font-family:'Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;]I am a european wanting to marry my Iraqi fiancee in Turkey. Most legal sites says we require a birth certificate to do this. She does not posses this, and I read it is considered more unreliable than the Civil Status ID from Iraq, which she has, as well as a passport.[/color]

[color=rgb(50,61,79);font-family:'Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;]Does anyone know if in the case of Iraqis that this can serve as a replacement?[/color]

[color=rgb(50,61,79);font-family:'Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;]Thank you in advance![/color]

Hi Temzen,
I have same problem as yours , please tell how did you do? I am desperate for an answer please please please? Did you find any replacement?
Hi Aston,
Any advice? I am desperate for an answer? Can I contact you direct to your email please?