• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alexandros

alexandros

• Istanbul
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:23 AM

Dear friends,

this is an absolutely great forum. I just received a job offer and I am moving to Istanbul to get a job in ITU University. I have read all those interesting stuff that people have already posted but I still have some unanswered questions about my move there.

1) My employer will be dealing with work permit but what about residence permit? Do I have to show that I will have sufficient funds to live or will my contract do the job?

2) As I can understand, I will need to register with the police when I come there. Is this correct?

3) My girlfriend wants to join me! Great! But what about residence permit? Does she have to show that she has sufficient funds in the bank? What happens if we get married? Does she automatically get a residence permit, which however is not individual but is dependent on me? Will she be able to get a work permit if she finds a job?

4) Do you by any chance know what is the cost for EU citizens for residence permit? thanks in advanceAnd another question that came to my mind: I will be insured through the public sector system, what about my girlfriend if she gets a residence permit? Will she be insured?

#2 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

Welcome to our forum Alexandros,

1) My employer will be dealing with work permit but what about residence permit?

You will need to ask your employer about that

Do I have to show that I will have sufficient funds to live or will my contract do the job?

Contract will be enough

2) As I can understand, I will need to register with the police when I come there. Is this correct?

No, as you arrive here on a Tourist Visa,

3) My girlfriend wants to join me! Great! But what about residence permit? Does she have to show that she has sufficient funds in the bank?

Yes

What happens if we get married? Does she automatically get a residence permit,

No, but if she is holding a RP she will need to go to the police bureau within15 days to change her details.

which however is not individual but is dependent on me?

It will be individual.

Will she be able to get a work permit if she finds a job?

Depends on the job.

4) Do you by any chance know what is the cost for EU citizens for residence permit?

80US$ a year this will be converted into TL at whatever the x rate is on the day

And another question that came to my mind: I will be insured through the public sector system, what about my girlfriend if she gets a residence permit? Will she be insured?

She can apply after holding a RP for 1 year.but will have to pay, at the moment it costs 212TL per month. However, if you marry she will be covered by your insurance. You will have to go to the SGK office and show them your wedding certificate to include her.

In case you aren't aware a WP is not transferable. If you leave your WP will be cancelled and a new employer will have to apply for another one.

Also if you change your address you need to inform the police within 48 hours or you will be fined. It is normal for the police.to visit your home address to make sure you are living at the address you gave them.

Good luck for your new job and hope it goes well for you, Enjoy Istanbul it's a wonderful city,

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#3 alexandros

alexandros

• Istanbul
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

Dear Abi, thank you for these answers. They are very enlighting! Can I exploit your helpful spirit and ask something more? What happens if we are already married when we arrive to Turkey? Does she get a RP as long as I will have one through my job?And another clarification: you say that it depends on the job if she gets a work permit. Is there a chance that you can elaborate a bit on that? She and I wouldn't like her to work illegaly...Thanks again for all the help and I hope that I am not such a big pain for all of you

#4 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

Don't worry you aren't being a pain at all:)

What happens if we are already married when we arrive to Turkey? Does she get a RP as long as I will have one through my job?

She can get a RP but not sure if she would have show money in the bank even if if you are married. Maybe your contract will cover you both.Forgot to say that you will have to pay 172 TL for the blue RP book,

And another clarification: you say that it depends on the job if she gets a work permit. Is there a chance that you can elaborate a bit on that? She and I wouldn't like her to work illegally.

Most jobs are protected for Turks and so it can be difficult for a foreigner to find a job with a work permit. What sort of work would she be looking for?

When you arrive in Turkey you will need to register your mobile phone within 30 days or it will be blocked. I'm sure your employer will help you do that.

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#5 alexandros

alexandros

• Istanbul
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

Thanks again, don't really know exactly what sort of job. She has a sociology degree and she speaks Greek, English and Italian...there is a possibility to work as a teacher as well. It probably depends on the employer as well, right?

Any ideas about jobs? Posted Image