Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kohl

Getting A Work Permit While Not In Your Home Country

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,This board looks like a great place to learn about Turkey, I'm so glad I came across it. I have a few questions about Teaching English in Turkey and was hoping someone here might have been in a similar situation, or know the ins and outs of the turkish system.A little about myself:I am a CanadianI have a BA in English Lit and HistoryI have a TESOL certificateI have 4 years teaching experience. (1 year teaching K-12 in South Korea, and 3 years in Germany teaching adults business and conversation English)I currently live and teach in Germany.First, work permits: How long does it normally take to get a work permit, who usually handles the processing of the permit (me or the employer), and can I apply for the permit outside of my home country (say at the Canadian Embassy or Consulate)?Second, compensation: What is the typical compensation package? Does the employer take care of accomodation, health insurance etc? And what is an average salary?Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Hi im afraid i dont know anything about Teaching in turkey, but im sure one of our other members will be able to help you with it.I just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum :)Hope you get the help you need, Swabs xx

Hello Kohl, I can see no advantage to getting a work visa before coming to Turkey, arriving on a tourist visa is just as good, and that is what most English teachers do. They get a residence permit on the strength of money in the bank, then after starting work the work permit is applied for by the employer. In any case it is unlikely that an employer will be prepared to go to the bother of sending you the necessary documents to get a work visa. If they are prepared to get a work permit, they will start the process when they have seen you and after you have started work with them.With your qualifications and experience, you have a wide range of options. You could look at one of the better language schools, or a private kolej or high school, or a university. Most teachers find the prep schools in the private universities the most attractive, but if you are happy teaching children the private kolej/high school may be better for you. You ask about terms, you could expect to earn between 2000TL and 4000TL per month, accommodation may be provided or a salary supplement for accommodation may be offered. Pay and conditions vary quite a lot even in the same sector.If possible it is better to meet the managers and teachers of a school face to face before accepting a position, especially if you want to work in a language school. The jobs range from good to OK to terrible, there are many in the terrible category. It is not too difficult to spot the terrible ones, but you need to be there physically, look around and talk to loads of people. Schools and universities will start to recruit in the next couple of months, April to June is when most jobs for the coming academic year are advertised. Just google jobs in Turkey and lots will turn up. Other posts in this forum give lists of places where jobs are advertised.You won't find it difficult to get job offers, the hard part is identifying the best one for you.Good luck.PS many employers do pay attention to things like spelling, for example accommodation. Slips like that can cost jobs.

Welcome to the forum Kohl.Take a look at Dave's ESL cafe for information about jobs. Schools usually mention in the adverts pay and if they are going to provide accommodation etc. but pay is not great and will depend on what type of school you work at and which part of the country and whether accommodation is included or not. Normally people enter Turkey on a tourist visa and then apply (hopefully with the help of the school) for a Residence Permit. The employer is responsible for applying for a Work Permit. How long they take to come varies but is usually not less than 2 months.Turkish schools are notorious for not getting WPs so the teacher works illegally and risks being deported. They are also reluctant to pay health insurance. Obviously try to get assurances on these issues but some are very good at putting the issues off.I'm sure other members who currently teaching will be able to give you some more information.Good Luck.

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. Great stuff Fil! I'll keep all of your suggestions in mind and keep a keen eye on my spelling :) I have a couple follow up questions if you will indulge me. You mentioned a residence permit which could be acquired depending on your bank balance. How much money should one have in the bank to make this a possibility? Also, can a person start working on a tourist visa, or is the progression from tourist visa to residence permit/working to work permit the most common path?Thanks!

The amount you must have in the bank depends on which area you are applying for a RP in but as a rule of thumb US$500 for each month you wish to have a permit for, but the employer, hopefully, will sponsor you so that you won't need the money in the bank. You must make sure that the employer goes with you to the Emniyet Mudur's Yabanci buro to do the organising of your RP.Strictly speaking you should not work on a Tourist visa or a RP but most people take the risk as it takes a while to obtain the WP and hopefully the employer will get you a WP.When you get a WP it is only valid for that employer. If you change jobs you will need a new WP.

For the record, you CAN get a work permit from outside of your home country. I got one in Germany at a Turkish consulate (I am American). It took 40 days. Basically my employer did the paperwork inside Turkey through a lawyer in Ankara, and I did my paperwork in Germany. When I went to the Turkish embassy in Germany and turned it in, they told me to come back in 40 days for an acceptance (and a brand spanking-new residence and work permit) or a rejection. Thankfully in my case, it was the former, and with that I was off to Turkey the next day.I wasn't a teacher though. I've never heard of any English teachers doing it that way... Just wanted to answer the question regarding if it was possible and how long it would take for those who might read this topic later.

Wait... You had to wait 40 days from the day they applied and then wait another 40 days before picking it up (thus equaling 80 days)? What year was this?

Turkish schools are notorious for not getting WPs so the teacher works illegally and risks being deported. They are also reluctant to pay health insurance. Obviously try to get assurances on these issues but some are very good at putting the issues off.

I worked for a very large private school (locations all over Turkey and elsewhere as well) as an English teacher and, even though the contract stated explicitly that the school was responsible for getting me a work permit, they never lifted a finger towards it. This was only the tip of the iceberg with them, it only got worse from there. Hopefully this year things will be different (needless to say I'm at a different school now, with much better pay as well)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Learn Turkish with Free Podcasts
  • Businesses

• Similar Content

• By Ken Grubb
      To work in Turkey, you must have a work permit. Most work permits are issued by the Çalışma ve Sosyal Güvenlik Bakanlığı (Ministry of Labor and Social Security). For workers in free zones, they are issued by the Ekonomi Bakanlığı (Ministry of the Economy). For workers in educational institutions, by the Milli Eğitim Bakanlığı (Ministry of National Education).
      Your work permit will be in the form of an identification card, which also entitles you to live in Turkey. So you won't have to make a separate application for a residence permit.
      Types of Work Permits
      There are two major categories of work permits, work permits for a definite period of time, and work permits for an indefinite period of time.
      Dependent Work Permits for a Definite Period of Time
      This is the type of work permit most foreigners get. It is "dependent" because the worker must have an employer to get work permission. It is subject to a "definite period of time" because it is only issued for one year, then has to be extended each year..
      If you are outside of Turkey, you must get a job offer letter and/or contract first. Then in coordination with the employer (within ten working days of each other), you submit an application at a Turkish embassy or consulate in your home country or where you legally reside, and apply for a work visa. After you get your work visa, you travel to Turkey, receive your work permit, and go to work for your employer.
      If you are in Turkey, and have completed at least six months of legal residence, you can also apply for a work permit. The requirements and process is the same, except you and your employer apply directly (within six working days of each other) to the Ministry of Labor and Social Security directly.
      Independent Work Permits for an Indefinite Period of Time
      These Work permits are "independent," because the foreigner doesn't have to have a specific employer to get work permission. It is "indefinite" because it doesn't have to be renewed every year. However, certain reporting requirements exist. For example, you would need to report any changes of employer, changes of address, or changes in the circumstances which existed when you first applied for the work permit.
      Unlimited Work Permit
      If you have worked in Turkey for at least five years, or lived in Turkey for at least eight years, without interruption, you are eligible to apply for an unlimited work permit. This type of work permit enables you to work for any employer you want, and change from employer to employer without having to get a new work permit.
      Independent Work Permit
      This type of work permit is for entrepreneurs, who intend to set up a company in Turkey. It enables you to work for six months to set up your company in Turkey. Once your company is established, your work permit will be extended with an indefinite duration. To be eligible, you must first live in Turkey for at least five years without interruption. There isn't a set "process" for this type of work permit, and it will require submitting a business plan, among other documents, to the Ministry of Labor and Social Security.
      You can contact the Ministry of Labor and Social Security using their national customer service number, which is 170.
      Restricted Professions
      Some professions are restricted to Turkish citizens. They are:
      Dentist, midwife, nurse, or pharmacist Veterinarian Hospital Director Lawyer Public Notary Security Guard Sea Captain, Merman, Fisherman, or Diver Customs Consultant. Work Permit Fees
      Turkey Work Permit Fees for 2016 Work Permit Type Work Permit Fee Work Permit for a Definite Period of Time (One Year) 191 TL Work Permit for an Indefinite Period of Time 959.80 TL Independent Work Permit 1,921.10 TL Authority
      Work permits in Turkey are covered by Law Number 4817, under Article 4.
      See Also
      How to Get a Work Visa
      Finding a Job in Turkey: Our article on finding employment, with plenty of links to the various job search websites of Turkey.
      Turkey Work Visas and Work Permits Forum: An entire forum devoted to work visas and work permits. If you have questions, ask them there.
      Disclaimer
      External Links
      Çalışma ve Sosyal Güvenlik Bakanlığı: The website for Turkey's Ministry of Labor and Social Security. For work permit applications, click Yabancı Çalışma İzni Başvuru. While the main site has an English translation, these pages do not.
      Law on Foreigners and International Protection, Republic of Turkey Ministry of Interior, Directorate General of Migration Management, Part Two, Section Two. PDF File, in English.
      Labor Law in Turkey: An excellent source of information for a variety of labor law issues.
      List of Turkish Embassies and Consulates by Country
      Turkish Embassy in London
      Turkish Embassy in Washington, DC
      Ministry of Labor and Social Security
    • By Ken Grubb
      How Turkey's work visa, work permit, and residence permit work together can be confusing. The terms can be as well.
      Work Visa: A one-time entry visa that you will need if you are entering Turkey for the purpose of work. You will get this from a Turkish embassy or consulate in your country of residence. You will enter Turkey with this visa, then apply for your residence permit.
      Work Permit: This term is a bit misleading, and should be referred to as a work authorization letter. It is a letter issued by the Ministry of Labor and Social Security, to your employer, giving them permission to employ you. When you take this document to the Foreigner's Office at the local Security Directorate (with your residence permit application), they will insert this letter in your dossier. Your employer will also have a copy of this letter.
      Residence Permit: An ID card bearing your identifying information and address. Every foreign resident must carry one.
      Who Can Be Hired
      The rule of thumb is that you cannot get a Turkey work permit for a job that can be performed by an unemployed Turk. This is actually your employer's problem and not yours, since it is up to them to demonstrate that you have a skill not held by the local Turkish population.
      You can also still be hired if the government can't find a qualified Turk in their unemployment database.
      Turkish companies may also hire one foreigner for every five Turks they employ, whether a Turk can do the job or not.
      Applying for Your Work Visa
      You and your employer must do a few things more or less simultaneously.
      Your employer is responsible for most of the paperwork. Besides submitting a package to the Ministry of Labor and Social Security, they will also send you a letter of employment or a copy of your contract, with a list of documents you need to take to the nearest Turkish embassy or consulate.
      When you have that, you can apply for your work visa.
      Note: Your employer's application, and yours, need to happen within ten days of each other. Talk to your employer and make sure they are aware of this rule.
      Go to the Turkish embassy or consulate with whatever your employer sent you, and the following:
      Passport valid for 90 days beyond the intended period of work Copy and notarized translation of your passport's information pages Completed work visa application form Translated and notarized university diploma, certificate of training, or license which enables you to perform the work Work Contract Letter of employment from your employer One passport-size photo (take six just in case) Valid residence permit for the country you live in, if you live outside of your home country Work visa and work permit processing fees (can vary according to your nationality, so contact the embassy or consulate to find out how much you need to bring) Translating and Notarizing Documents
      Check with the embassy or consulate to see if any other documents need to be translated and notarized. The consulate can also tell you where to find a nearby certified Turkish translator and notary, if there isn't one on site.
      Picking Up Your Work Visa
      After 30-40 days, your Turkey work visa will be ready. They will tell you at the time of application if they will call you or if you just need to come and get it after a certain time.
      Your work visa will be a sticker, with a stamp, inside your passport (you must leave your passport at the embassy or consulate during the processing time). With this visa you can enter Turkey, one time, for the purpose of work. Once you are in Turkey, you will apply for your residence permit.
      Your Work Permit
      Please see the next article on Turkey Work Permits for more information.
      See Also
      Turkey Work Permit: How to get a Turkey work permit.
      Finding a Job in Turkey: Our article on finding employment, with plenty of links to the various job search websites of Turkey.
      Turkey Work Visas and Permits Forum: If you have questions about how to get a work visa, or how they work, please ask them in our Turkey Work Permit forum.
      Disclaimer
      External Links
      Çalışma ve Sosyal Güvenlik Bakanlığı: The website for Turkey's Ministry of Labor and Social Security. For work permit applications, click Yabancı Çalışma İzni Başvuru. While the main site has an English translation, these pages do not.
      Labor Law in Turkey: An excellent source of information for a variety of labor law issues.
      List of Turkish Embassies and Consulates by Country
      Turkish Embassy in London
      Turkish Embassy in Washington, DC
      Ministry of Labor and Social Security
    • By Marvin
      Turkey's parliament in Ankara approved Thursday a new labor law specifying conditions under which foreigners can work in the country. According to the law, foreigners with long-term residence permits or work permits for at least eight years would now be able to apply for permanent work permits.

Those with permanent work permits would be granted rights similar to Turkish citizens. However, they would not have the right to vote or get elected, work for civil service and do military service. Also, foreign students at Turkish universities would be allowed to work on condition that they get work permits from their employers.

The Ministry of Labor and Social Security will also establish a system to meet foreign employment demands. An international labor head office within the Ministry of Labor and Social Security will also be established, according to the law.
      Source: Yeni Şafak
    • By nadmer
      Hi,I wonder if anyone could help me! I'm a British citizen based in Spain and my Spanish boyfriend has secured a job in a Spanish firm with a branch in Istanbul. Obviously all his residency, work permit etc will be sorted out via his firm. The question is me?! I'm a freelance editor, and plan to continue working with my Spain based clients via the internet from our base in Turkey (this company will provide us with a home). My questions are:- do I need a residency visa? (we plan to be in Turkey for 4-6 years)- would I have any problem getting a residency visa? (And how would I go about getting one if I'm not officially 'working' in Turkey)- do I need a work visa if I work for overseas companies via freelance?Phew! Many thanks, I'd be really grateful if anyone could help me with some advice! Nadya
    • By THY
      Dear friends,

Here is yet another question that came in my mind which I wanted to pose on this community forum. 

I have seen complete articles regarding how to get a residence permit by purchasing a real estate (apartment). 

We have to get the medical insurance which will cost at minimum 250 Liras per month and we have to show that we have enough funds to sustain ourselves. The requirement lies between 300$ to 1000$. But someone with his own apartment can live and sustain himself with basic needs of food, internet, transportation on public transport and basic utility bills and health insurance premium for around 400-500 $ per month in Istanbul. 

The question now is as it is clearly in the title of this thread.

The residence permit we get by the purchase of property (apartment) and fulfilling other certain requirements is just a residence permit or is also a work permit? I mean with that permit we can only live or does it also entitle us to work and do business?

And if this is only a residence permit which lets people ONLY live and do not work. Then what are we suppose to do to get the WORK Permit? 

I hope my post is clear and detailed. Looking forward for some help here,

Regards,
      Faisal.
  • Latest Member Photos