work permit Teach English

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kohl

Kohl

• PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

Hi Everyone,This board looks like a great place to learn about Turkey, I'm so glad I came across it. I have a few questions about Teaching English in Turkey and was hoping someone here might have been in a similar situation, or know the ins and outs of the turkish system.A little about myself:I am a CanadianI have a BA in English Lit and HistoryI have a TESOL certificateI have 4 years teaching experience. (1 year teaching K-12 in South Korea, and 3 years in Germany teaching adults business and conversation English)I currently live and teach in Germany.First, work permits: How long does it normally take to get a work permit, who usually handles the processing of the permit (me or the employer), and can I apply for the permit outside of my home country (say at the Canadian Embassy or Consulate)?Second, compensation: What is the typical compensation package? Does the employer take care of accomodation, health insurance etc? And what is an average salary?Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

#2 swabs

swabs

Supreme Member

• Side
  • 569 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

Hi im afraid i dont know anything about Teaching in turkey, but im sure one of our other members will be able to help you with it.I just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum :)Hope you get the help you need, Swabs xx
When you see the world as part of yourself you will take care of it.....

.....When you see yourself as part of the world you will be taken care of.

#3 Fil

Fil

Supreme Member

• Antalya
  • 1751 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

Hello Kohl, I can see no advantage to getting a work visa before coming to Turkey, arriving on a tourist visa is just as good, and that is what most English teachers do. They get a residence permit on the strength of money in the bank, then after starting work the work permit is applied for by the employer. In any case it is unlikely that an employer will be prepared to go to the bother of sending you the necessary documents to get a work visa. If they are prepared to get a work permit, they will start the process when they have seen you and after you have started work with them.With your qualifications and experience, you have a wide range of options. You could look at one of the better language schools, or a private kolej or high school, or a university. Most teachers find the prep schools in the private universities the most attractive, but if you are happy teaching children the private kolej/high school may be better for you. You ask about terms, you could expect to earn between 2000TL and 4000TL per month, accommodation may be provided or a salary supplement for accommodation may be offered. Pay and conditions vary quite a lot even in the same sector.If possible it is better to meet the managers and teachers of a school face to face before accepting a position, especially if you want to work in a language school. The jobs range from good to OK to terrible, there are many in the terrible category. It is not too difficult to spot the terrible ones, but you need to be there physically, look around and talk to loads of people. Schools and universities will start to recruit in the next couple of months, April to June is when most jobs for the coming academic year are advertised. Just google jobs in Turkey and lots will turn up. Other posts in this forum give lists of places where jobs are advertised.You won't find it difficult to get job offers, the hard part is identifying the best one for you.Good luck.PS many employers do pay attention to things like spelling, for example accommodation. Slips like that can cost jobs.
Mr Fil

#4 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11866 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

Welcome to the forum Kohl.Take a look at Dave's ESL cafe for information about jobs. Schools usually mention in the adverts pay and if they are going to provide accommodation etc. but pay is not great and will depend on what type of school you work at and which part of the country and whether accommodation is included or not. Normally people enter Turkey on a tourist visa and then apply (hopefully with the help of the school) for a Residence Permit. The employer is responsible for applying for a Work Permit. How long they take to come varies but is usually not less than 2 months.Turkish schools are notorious for not getting WPs so the teacher works illegally and risks being deported. They are also reluctant to pay health insurance. Obviously try to get assurances on these issues but some are very good at putting the issues off.I'm sure other members who currently teaching will be able to give you some more information.Good Luck.
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#5 Kohl

Kohl

• PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. Great stuff Fil! I'll keep all of your suggestions in mind and keep a keen eye on my spelling :) I have a couple follow up questions if you will indulge me. You mentioned a residence permit which could be acquired depending on your bank balance. How much money should one have in the bank to make this a possibility? Also, can a person start working on a tourist visa, or is the progression from tourist visa to residence permit/working to work permit the most common path?Thanks!

#6 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11866 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

The amount you must have in the bank depends on which area you are applying for a RP in but as a rule of thumb US$500 for each month you wish to have a permit for, but the employer, hopefully, will sponsor you so that you won't need the money in the bank. You must make sure that the employer goes with you to the Emniyet Mudur's Yabanci buro to do the organising of your RP.Strictly speaking you should not work on a Tourist visa or a RP but most people take the risk as it takes a while to obtain the WP and hopefully the employer will get you a WP.When you get a WP it is only valid for that employer. If you change jobs you will need a new WP.
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#7 aderb

aderb

• Antalya
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

Kohl
hi and welcome and good luck with your move Posted Image

#8 Ken

Ken

Kapıcı

• Antalya
  • 5422 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:53 AM

For the record, you CAN get a work permit from outside of your home country. I got one in Germany at a Turkish consulate (I am American). It took 40 days. Basically my employer did the paperwork inside Turkey through a lawyer in Ankara, and I did my paperwork in Germany. When I went to the Turkish embassy in Germany and turned it in, they told me to come back in 40 days for an acceptance (and a brand spanking-new residence and work permit) or a rejection. Thankfully in my case, it was the former, and with that I was off to Turkey the next day.I wasn't a teacher though. I've never heard of any English teachers doing it that way... Just wanted to answer the question regarding if it was possible and how long it would take for those who might read this topic later.

***   Want to do more to help? Then click follow_this_forum.png at the top right of any forum about a topic or place you know about.  You'll get an e-mail alert and an opportunity to help others in need. ***

#9 denny

denny

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

Wait... You had to wait 40 days from the day they applied and then wait another 40 days before picking it up (thus equaling 80 days)? What year was this?

#10 IstanbulWhiteboy

IstanbulWhiteboy

Mindshaper

• Istanbul
  • 591 posts

Awards

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

Turkish schools are notorious for not getting WPs so the teacher works illegally and risks being deported. They are also reluctant to pay health insurance. Obviously try to get assurances on these issues but some are very good at putting the issues off.

I worked for a very large private school (locations all over Turkey and elsewhere as well) as an English teacher and, even though the contract stated explicitly that the school was responsible for getting me a work permit, they never lifted a finger towards it. This was only the tip of the iceberg with them, it only got worse from there. Hopefully this year things will be different (needless to say I'm at a different school now, with much better pay as well)

Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.

--Charles Bukowski

Check out my website at http://bahcesehirbubble.weebly.com