phonicsdude

The Odd World Of Net Curtains.

22 posts in this topic

Do I've somewhat been introduced to net curtains recently. I've had to shop for and show an interesting in them. Something has puzzled me, because now I'm seeing it everywhere. I'm sure in England net curtains are put on the nearer the window with the main curtains to the front for ease of closing. Now in Turkey they have the other way round and you find yourself flailing around trying to close the curtains from behind the net curtains. Is this just a specific problem to me?What have I let myself in for?

In the words of the immortal Hyman Kaplan : "Teacher, your worries I should have"!!!

Haha Clinky -- I was of the same mind as you when we first came, and when the curtain lady came to measure up she expained that the net curtains go in front, with the thicker ones (güneşlik) behind. Seemed back-to-front to us, so we had them done the "right" way (so we thought). After a while I wished we had listened to her, because the thicker curtains (which I always thought look just like thick wedding satin) are sun-block, and meant to protect your net curtains from the sun -- so it made sense.

Well, some short time later we were burgled and our lovely curtains were stolen (that's another story) -- but that was my chance to fix the situation. My new curtains were made up in the Turkish manner, and I've never looked back. Doesn't seem to be any more trouble closing the thick ones from behind than in front............ you'll likely learn to live with it Clinky ! :)

Well actually Clinky you can go further than that if you want. Your can get 3 track rails, on the first track nearest the window you put a thinish white silky type material to act as the sun shade, middle track your net curtains and on the final track your proper curtains. This was what I was told to do by my Turkish MiL.

Like Meral said it does take a bit of getting used to but you will get there in the end. Posted Image

What have I let myself in for?

Looks like marriage means it's curtains for you, old chap.

Good one Fil. :DCan't abide the things myself. I really don't understand the obsession with having them even when people are living x stories high with no chance of anyone seeing in. I'd like to know what people get up to in their houses that they don't want others to see. :D

Hang on a minute...surely when during the day the curtains are open anyway. So sunlight will always be on the net curtains.Am I wrong?

Check out other houses, you'll find most of the curtains are closed most days. I think you're going to be learning a lot over the next few months mate.

I don't think I could plod around the house with closed curtains during the day.

Our flat has a triple row of curtain rails. The one nearest the window seems to be for the güneşlik, as sunny says, which are plain and keep out the sun. We have the net curtains hanging from the middle rail. I suppose the third on the room side is for tasteful decorative floral curtains to complement the beautiful Louis quatorze chair legs.

If I want to keep out the sun I just keep the panjur (blind) down until it's gone round a bit. I just have curtains for decoration. I've been in some houses with the three layers and it's like living in the twilight zone!

I find that people in Istanbul NEVER close their curtains. They seem to have the panjur either fully down, or open at an angle, OR curtains just for show (all flouncy and tassley) and net curtains pulled open.

Also the REALLY long net curtains that drag on the floor......I'm getting all mine taken up a few centimetres....I can't stand them dragging about in the fluff bunnies!!!!Posted Image

Well I'm sorry...I'm putting my British Clarks size 10's down and having them my way. I've already yielded to the most flowery set of dinner plates imaginable.

I've already yielded to the most flowery set of dinner plates imaginable.

That's just the thin end of the wedge, Clinky!!!

That's just the thin end of the wedge, Clinky!!!

True, there is a bag in the corner of the room with some really chintzy curtains in, ready to be put up. Everytime I peek in, I start to weep.

I suggest you sit down and have a talk about it clinky. We had a member here a while ago who was run roughshod over by his wife and he wasn't a happy bunny.

Just read this page and its great Posted Image

Congratulations on your big day on friday Clinky, I have been a bit swamped at work and then shocked by all the other replies in the other post to give my congrats, I hope you have an amazing day to remember forever!!

Well im glad that something has been cleared up as i have never really liked nets so at the moment we jus thave curtains! (although i got too many moscito bites) so now we are going to buy nets when i return. I never understood either clinky until just reading this post why people have it the other way round but now from what people say i can understand! (its just like clothes, the amount of black clothes i had to throw away when i first moved Posted Image ) xxx

I too have the 3 track curtain thing. On the one nearest the window we have the plain white curtain, then the nets and then on the 3rd on we have 'show curtains'. They are plain proper curtains that we usually draw in the Uk but they aren't actually big enough to cover the windows (we were pretty skint when we first moved in!) so they are held up with tie backs and just look nice Posted Image (although my husbands family beg to differ as they are plain and not covered in hideous patterns!) I always close the backing curtain at night and having it behind the nets is better as the nets are a lot prettier, so you can still see them. In the summer, I pull the back curtain when the sun is shining through. I actually quite like the whole Turkish curtain system! I think I have been living here too long! Posted Image

Reading swabs message I assume that you are getting married tomorrow Clinky!? Good luck and hope you have a wonderful day.

Lisa

"its just like clothes, the amount of black clothes i had to throw away when i first moved"

Posted ImageI don't understand your comment swabs.

Sorry sunny....When i read the below quote i for some reason thought that it was saying about cutrains being died by the sun. Will teach me to multi task when working!! Posted Image

After a while I wished we had listened to her, because the thicker curtains (which I always thought look just like thick wedding satin) are sun-block, and meant to protect your net curtains from the sun -- so it made sense.

''True, there is a bag in the corner of the room with some really chintzy curtains in, ready to be put up. Everytime I peek in, I start to weep.''hilarious Clinky...you made me laugh.we just moved into a ikili railed gaff...im gutted...always been a uclu' rail person myself..converted by my Hub..yes weird i know.i have a curtain illness in the fact we have moved so many times to so many places i never seem to have the right length/width /ammount for the place i am in....i give up now..whatever people do get to see of me is only partial anyway depending on the gap below?!and yes makes pulling the curtains a mission each night with the turk style back to front..i never liked curtains much but my mum insists on never pulling hers and its drove me insane with then nosey neighbours in the cul de sac. never quiet got over being caught at it while they were open by the postman... dancing to ABBA i mean of course.

Ah swabs, I thought that there was some culture thing about black that I hadn't heard about. Posted Image

Oh Lu, you are hilarious. You never were caught dancing to ABBA??? Oh the shame of it! :D