British Road Tax & Car Insurance

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Godbrother

Godbrother

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:42 PM

Hi.I'll be driving to Turkey in the next few weeks and will be staying there for 5-6 months and driving back. I purchased a years road tax in November at a cost of £460, I also renewed my car insurance 2 weeks ago at a cost of £650. My question is, once I get to Turkey and get some boarder insurance, can I call up my insurance company in the U.K and have them cancel the insurance (giving me a refund of unused days) and also sending back the road tax via post to my brother to send off to the DVLA and have the tax refunded too? I'm assuming U.K road tax & insurance is invalid in Turkey.This way, I would save 6 months worth of road tax and 6 months worth of insurance which should equate to around £500. A few weeks before I leave, I'll ask my brother to buy road tax at the post office and send it back to me before I set off. After that, I'll just buy some insurance online.If do-able, then £500 (1,400TL) saved! I'll be one happy bunny! :D

#2 Cukurbagli

Cukurbagli

I'm on the sunny side of the street.

• Kaş
  • 4080 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

Yes you can but don't expect the refund to equal the exact amount of unused insurance or tax, there will be admin charges.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average around here.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness