• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ahududu

Ahududu

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

One of the oldest permanent Roma settlements in the world has been demolished to make way for new developments.The Roma owners were paid 500TL per sq m, and the new buildings are now selling for 3.500-4.500TL per sq m.Judging from the photo, if that is the area, the buildings would not have survived an earthquake and hundreds of people would be killed. But they are not happy with their alternative housing, which is miles from Fatih, and very expensive.What do you think?LINK

Edited by Cukurbagli, 10 November 2011 - 10:30 AM.
Keeping the members happy.

#2 Cukurbagli

Cukurbagli

I'm on the sunny side of the street.

• Kaş
  • 4064 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

I feel sorry for them. However it is disingenuous of the Grauniad to make a point of the difference between what the Roma were paid and what the new places are selling for when the developers have to pay for clearing the site and then building new buildings and make enough profit to stay in business.Clearly the whole project could have been managed better but thank God that a big earthquake didn't happen while they were still living there.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average around here.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

#3 Ahududu

Ahududu

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for putting the link, Chris.I'm a bit torn on this one too.Fatih is a prime area, those buildings would fold in a moment, and I'm guessing the Roma aren't big on paying NI and tax, and I don't think 500TL per sq m is bad, clearly a few property owners made some money, and they could have been more astute and sold for more. But there again, being forced out of your community where you have lived for maybe generations is a harsh reality of living in a prime development area.