• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 clinky

clinky

Holte Ender in Moda

• Istanbul
  • 655 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

You forgot step 5: Come and get drunk with me on a Saturday night in the North Shield.
The man in the chair was heavyset with longish, fair hair and a beard you might have picked for an important chat with Moses..." - Bernie Gunther

#22 Fil

Fil

Supreme Member

• Antalya
  • 1733 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

doesn't know any other foreign teachers who have one! If confronted by a official suit, she will claim she is an English nanny to one of the students. Incidentally, she was stung by English Time (a school which has its own sticky, and will be avoiding), and had further poor reports regarding Bilko, Berlitz (interesting!) and Wall Street Institute (who often plead for teachers on kariyer.net) She also pointed me in the direction of a mailing list on this website: http://iti-istanbul.com/

Just a few comments that may help other job seekers as well as bobby. I am not questioning anything that appears above, but I am adding some other perspectives in some respects. I agree with your friend's comments about iti as a valuable source of information about jobs, they also run good CELTA and DELTA courses in istanbul. I have known the head of the organisation since we worked together in istanbul many years ago, and iti isa definitely a good organisation. About work permits, I do think teachers should expect their employers to get the work permit. I know that many teachers do not have it, but the teachers I know in istanbul who have asked for them at interview got them. I would urge teachers to be patient, though, and not be surprised if a permit takes a long time to arrive. I know how the old paranoia sets in, with suspicions that the school is lying to you, but teachers should not allow the work permit to be a source of aggro with the school administration. It is often friction of this kind that can sour the relationship with a school and spoil the whole teaching in istanbul experience, which would be a pity. As for individual schools mentioned, I think checking out daves for the latest is an important step. Clearly ET has rubbed a lot of teachers up the wrong way, and I am sorry to hear about your friend's experience, but teachers I know have been quite satisfied with English Time, were happy with the pay and were paid promptly, and got work permits even though their contract was for less than a year. Bobby also mentioned Berlitz, another school that has bad comments about it on daves. A teacher I trained on a tesol certificate course last summer started working there two months ago and is happy, reports no problem with pay or conditions. I think it is important to be careful when deciding where to work. Schools sometimes get better, sometimes get worse, a bad choice can cause a lot of unhappiness, but I also think being put off by comments that are out of date is also a pity. I think we shoud try to be fair to schools, they are not all bad. Networking is really important, both online and through personal contact in istanbul. I am no longer in istanbul myself, but I do know many teachers who are there. Finally, I don't think teachers should be worried about a confrontation with an 'official suit', at least not in istanbul, ankara or izmir. An inspector would have a bone to pick with the school administration, not the individual teacher. I know of no cases of properly qualified teachers in a proper language school falling foul of the work permit authorities. The occaisonal cases that one can find referred to on the internet seem likely to have complicating factors.
Mr Fil

#23 clinky

clinky

Holte Ender in Moda

• Istanbul
  • 655 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

Well if you don't get a WP have to prove you have many dollars in an account (fair enough this can be falsified) every year you renew your RP. With a WP you just pay for a renewal every year (119tl) and you get less strange looks at the airport.
The man in the chair was heavyset with longish, fair hair and a beard you might have picked for an important chat with Moses..." - Bernie Gunther

#24 robertobobson

robertobobson

• PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:58 PM

Those comments are very helpful, and alleviate a number of concerns. Thanks again.