Photo
- - - - -

We're Looking For A Native-Speaking Celta Certified Teacher!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 atayavie

atayavie

herro e'erybuddeh!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:47 AM

Hey all, I'm currently teaching English here in Istanbul, and caught news of a position available. If you or anyone you know would be interested, please send me a PM! Here are some basics... The school:-pays 3,070 USD monthly with two months' paid vacation (June/July)-needs a teacher IMMEDIATELY-requires at least a one year contract, with a salary bonus beyond that-schedules a maximum of 100/hours a month The candidate is:-CELTA or TEFL certified with experience; -or- with a degree in teaching/education-At least 30 years old or with 5 years of teaching experience-Currently living in Istanbul Thanks for looking! :D
vagabond, vagabunda, vaga vaga...
...live, love, travel...!

#2 samanthaozkara

samanthaozkara

Supreme Member

• Çeşme
  • 1744 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

Hope you find somebody soon hun xxx

#3 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:48 PM

Looks like a really good job, hope you find someone. :)

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#4 atayavie

atayavie

herro e'erybuddeh!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:50 AM

Thanks you two!! You'd be surprised how many people have applied with absolutely no qualifications...it's like, hey, p.s., I'm not Turkish and I know you're lying!! :D

#5 clinky

clinky

Holte Ender in Moda

• Istanbul
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

Sounds like a great job for someone like me. Alas I'm 5 years too young and 3 years less experienced...
The man in the chair was heavyset with longish, fair hair and a beard you might have picked for an important chat with Moses..." - Bernie Gunther

#6 atayavie

atayavie

herro e'erybuddeh!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:52 AM

Join the club, clinky! :\

#7 Lucid

Lucid

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1545 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:36 PM

''At least 30 years old or with 5 years of teaching experience''
interesting...at least one thing there people cannot lie about !Posted Image
HOLD ON i have reread that .. it says OR ?? even more interesting......
  • lindylou likes this

#8 jimmyboy

jimmyboy

• PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

Hi Atayavie, How are you? Thanks for posting the job advert. I’m moving to Istanbul next year – in time the September 2012 term. I’ve have TEFL, six years experience in schools and businesses am over 30 and have got good references – just not in Turkey! I’m coming on holiday to Istanbul next month for 10 days and I thought it might be a good idea to send my CV with a cover letter to schools beforehand – just in case any would be interested in having an initial meeting with me. What do you think? Can I also ask you, how life is life as a teacher in Istanbul? Really can’t wait to get over there permanently! All the best, Jim

#9 Ken

Ken

Kapıcı

• Antalya
  • 5599 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

Be sure to post this in the classified section as well, if you haven't already... it's free.

***   Want to do more to help? Then click follow_this_forum.png at the top right of any forum about a topic or place you know about.  You'll get an e-mail alert and an opportunity to help others in need. ***

#10 Goreme1990

Goreme1990

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

Given that you were the person who interviewed me for this position and then invited me to give a demo lesson for the school to look at, why did you dissemble in your original post? You didn't just 'catch news' that the position was available. You work for Dilko, the English college that was engaged to fill the position and it was your job to do that. It really doesn't help when people misrepresent who they are. What I want to know is the reason behind the deception.

Want to know more about Istanbul. Please send me a PM and check out my blog. http://insideoutinistanbul.com/

#11 Ahududu

Ahududu

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:06 PM

Does it really matter?
I'd imagine it would be to put off people generally thinking that she is a recruiter/employer.
There is no deception as far as I can see, simply posting in a certain way to discourage being bombarded with CVs/'looking for a job' PMs.
Her job was to filter non-qualified applicants and record the demo lesson. She was not engaged to fill the position. The school did that.
I read the post, replied, performed a demo lesson, and also didn't get it - however, I don't feel in the slightest misled.
There's always next year!Posted Image but I expect to have a perfect job closer to home by then - the travelling for that position would have been a challenge for me!

#12 atayavie

atayavie

herro e'erybuddeh!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:02 PM

I was simply being discreet, as it was in both schools' best interest to do so.Thanks for your testimonial, Sue.

#13 Fil

Fil

Supreme Member

• Antalya
  • 1761 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

Just out of interest, does anyone know why the pay offered for the job is so high? I think I have only seen one teaching job in Turkey offering three thousand dollars, and that was for PhDs at Zirve university.
Mr Fil

#14 Goreme1990

Goreme1990

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

Hi Sue,Just to set you straight, I went for the interview, considered the terms and conditions such as they were, and then thought about giving a demo lesson. At the interview Emily could not answer most questions about the terms and conditions of the job (working hours, service, etc). The questions I asked were not unusual for a candidate to ask about a job like this, and Emily's inability to answer them could be construed as evasive. This did not fill me with confidence about the way the school might run, should I be successful. Therefore I decided not to pursue the job, that is I rejected it, and so I am not writing this post because I am sour about losing out. I find it really insulting that you assume that is my motivation for writing this post.I am posting about the deception of someone masquerading as a regular person on the street as opposed to introducing themselves as a recruiter, which is what Emily was working as. Anyway, the excuse that she was trying to avoid being bombarded by CVs doesn't hold much water. After all, she chased me to get me in for an interview several times, she was prepared to wait until I could come in. Even my partner commented that she couldn't have much to choose from if she was prepared to a week. If there were so many suitable candidates why would she need to even chase me? It seems like she needed to hear from more people, not less.In my country, people who operate on two levels like she does could be charged with an offence suggesting fraudulent behaviour. But hey, this is Turkey, so who cares, right?

Want to know more about Istanbul. Please send me a PM and check out my blog. http://insideoutinistanbul.com/

#15 Ahududu

Ahududu

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:37 PM

blimey! Yes, this is Turkey - go with the flow. I can see no benefit from your gripe at all. Move on.Fil, the school is one of the oldest and most prestigious in Istanbul, with a very good and serious reputation.They pay their Turkish teachers VERY well in comparison to their normal wage, BUT they are worked very, very hard. (My SiL has a friend who teaches there and even they warned me about how hard the teachers are worked.) The native speaker pay, seems to be in relation to that, but of course without any of the extra responsibilities the Turkish teachers HAVE TO commit to.

#16 Goreme1990

Goreme1990

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:38 PM

As any trained, professional teacher who can use a dictionary would know, 'to gripe' is to complain in a consistent nagging manner. I brought up what should be for most educated critical people, a matter of principle, that is, honesty. So again, you insult me. Telling me to go with the flow reveals a lack of standards and inability to address the pertinent comments I made. I can only hope people don't look to this site for realistic, useful assistance in finding work in this country, given what we have seen so far. It isn't surprising that the school in question is now directly advertising for potential candidates, given the unprofessional nature of the recruiting so far.

And as for your suggestion that I move on, I can easily do so because I won't be the one to offer myself up for exploitation by not questioning things, and then whine meaninglessly about it later. That's for those who willingly accept a job without enough information and then find themselves in bad situations. This is what I'm trying to avoid.

#17 Cukurbagli

Cukurbagli

I'm on the sunny side of the street.

• Kaş
  • 4082 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:17 PM

Please get back on topic.Posts not on topic will be deleted.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average around here.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness