6 replies to this topic

#1 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:36 AM

Got a book in you? Forget rejection letters or

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#2 dande

dande

• Çeşme
  • 1382 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

An interesting article, Abi, and you don’t often hear me being quite so positive about something published in Daily Fail Online!

Informative, also, for two reasons. Firstly I have set down just under 20,000 words of a novel which begins, not surprisingly, at the check-in desks at London’s Heathrow Airport over 14 years ago as we set off on our ‘adventure’ to move to Turkey. I, too, (again unsurprisingly) have received the usual batch of rejection letters but I am cautiously encouraged to know that J K Rowling and many other popular authors, who now have best-selling titles, also received dozens of them. Stephen King received so many he had to nail them a spike in his bedroom!

Nothing would ever persuade me to go into ‘Vanity’ Publishing and I haven’t written much over the past two or three years, but e-books . . .well? Think I’ll get back to the story! I do enjoy setting down our many experiences since moving here; there is so much to tell; so much to enjoy (sometimes only in retrospect!); so much friendship, kindness and humour – and not forgetting all the ‘waiting’ and the occasional frustrations!

Secondly, I didn’t realise you didn’t need a Kindle to download Kindle books but then what I know about the latest technology could be written on the back of a postage stamp with a broad felt-tip pen!

Thank again, Abi, for yet another link which really inspires me.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page" (St. Augustine)

#3 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:33 PM

I'm soo happy the paper you love to hate has come up trumps for you at last. Hurray, I think it's a rare day that anybody gets published first time round, so I'm pleased to hear you have been inspired again. I hope to see your e-book in the future on the internet as I always enjoy reading your travel posts.

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#4 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11852 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

I too am glad that the Daily Mail has pleased you at last. :DI must say, having read some of Dande's work, he writes a good story.

ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#5 blackrabbitz

blackrabbitz

• PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:36 AM

I know someone who wrote a manual on technical writing and made something like 50,000 pounds on download sales, but that was over about 3 years.

#6 samanthaozkara

samanthaozkara

Supreme Member

• Çeşme
  • 1744 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:47 PM

Wow!! How did I miss this topic when 1st posted.Thank you for a great link Abi. Unfortunatly I wont be writting my own book anytime soon as I dont have any imagination or book writing skills but on a plus note Im glad to see Dande have found something useful in the Daily Mail!! I never thought that day would come Woohoo!!!! I look forward to reading your book Dande x

Are You Looking To Buy or Rent In Çeşme Or Even Sell Your Home? Are You Also Looking To Insure Your Home Or Vehicle In Turkey? Well Stork Homes Estate Now Has An Insurance Department ... Contact Myself For More Information Or Visit Our Website
www.satilikcesme.com

#7 rovingjay

rovingjay

Bodrum Peninsula Travel Guide

• Bodrum
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

I had my first foray into the book writing arena this year, and published a Travel Guide for Turkey's Bodrum Peninsula.  I finally decided to take all of the snippets of information and research I'd done from all of my trips, and organize them into a comprehensive Travel Guide.

It was a little bit overwhelming at first - as well as doing all the writing (I ended up with 70,000 words), I had to select and crop pictures, and then format the book to sell on Amazon.

As part of my evaluation of whether to write a book about Bodrum or not, I downloaded all of the other ebooks available on Amazon, to see what the competition was like - some of them were really bad, so that spurred me on to go ahead and write mine.  I knew I had the local knowledge to pull something together, that was good quality and well researched.  

It took a lot longer than I thought, but I finally published it at the end of May.

Amazon publish a Free ebook on how to format your book for Kindle - so if you're thinking about writing a book of your own, that's a good start. 

• sunny likes this
www.BodrumPeninsulaTravelGuide.co.uk
Download my Free Quick Reference Travel Guides for the Bodrum Peninsula in Turkey Central's Downloads section. I've also just published a Bodrum Peninsula Travel Guide on Amazon. Visit my website for more Tourist Information about the Bodrum Peninsula