Eating Out In Side

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Zola123

Zola123

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:22 PM

Hi I am going to Side next Friday with my daughter. Never been to anywhere in Turkey before so am a bit worried about how much money to take. Can anyone tell me how much it is roughly to have an evening meal for 2 in Side. Also what is shopping like in Side. Can you get copies of clothes for kids as well as adults?

#2 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11862 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

If you browse the Side forum you will find lots of information there.It is impossible to say how much money you will need because it very much depends on what sort of restaurant you visit. If you take sterling with you, you will be able to change it as you go along. At the moment there is nearly 3tl to the pound.Yes you can get copies of clothes for kids as well as adults, especially on the markets.I hope you both have a lovely holiday.
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#3 Zola123

Zola123

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:15 PM

If you browse the Side forum you will find lots of information there.It is impossible to say how much money you will need because it very much depends on what sort of restaurant you visit. If you take sterling with you, you will be able to change it as you go along. At the moment there is nearly 3tl to the pound.Yes you can get copies of clothes for kids as well as adults, especially on the markets.I hope you both have a lovely holiday.

Thank you for replying. I just wanted a rough idea as to how much a meal would cost in a middle of the range restaurant not an expensive one. Used to going to Spain and USA but never been to Turkey so all new to me. Are you fake clothes cheap?

#4 angelaturkey

angelaturkey

• Side
  • 339 posts

Awards

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

AVERAGE PRICES FROM UMUT PIDE IN SIDE = A LOVELY TYPICAL TURKISH RESTAURANT THAT TURKS FREQUENT ...3 Lire - Lamuchan = beef and lamb mince meat with onion and parsley in like a folded pancake/pızza that you eat with your hands6 Lire - Menemen = tomato + onion + garlic + butter + egg + cup of water - bit like an omelette8 Lire - Spicy Kebab in Bread Roll = good if you want to get something quick within 10 minutes 5 Lire - Mercimek or Ezogelin (both lentil based) or Onıon or Tomato or Mushroom or Chicken Soups - thick and creamy and come with free bread8 Lire - Pızza Margarita .. loads of other types of pızzas available as in UK and costing between 10 and 15 Lire6 Lire - Eggplant Salad .. or chıcken salad at 8 Lire or Shrımp Salad or Tunafısh Salad - both 12 Lıre8 Lire - Spaghetti Napoli - or Spaghetti Bolognese 10 Lire - or Lasagna 10 Lıre10 Lire - sauteed liver 12 Lire - beef or lamb on a skewer13 Lire - all Vegetarıan meals = vegetable casserole - or eggplant casserole - or mushroom casserole - or specıal vegetarıan casserole 15 Lire - Chıcken wıth onıon sauce or garlıc sauce or spınach sauce or curry sauce or mushroom sauce - or chıcken schnıtzel same price 21 Lire - Steak wıth Mushroom Sauce or Steak wıth Onıons or Pepper Steak23 Lire - Beef Strogonoff or Cordon Bleu Steak60 Lire for 2 persons - Testı Kebab = not a kebab at all but meat and vegs cooked ın a clay pot then brought to your table aflame wıth a hammer. They knock the top off and spoon out the contents. Very tasty and a good local dısh. Lots and lots more but no room here for everythıng! Chıldrens Menu too from 4 to 8 Lire - eg sausage and chıps or fısh fıngers and chıps or hamburgers etc You can buy a nice bottle of whıte wıne at the local corner shop for just 7 Lire and a bottle of Efes beer for 2.5 Lire - obvıously a bit more from a restaurant but not much. 5 TL for a beer in a restaurant and about 8 TL for a glass of wine.All the above area avaılable wıth FREE delıvery anywhere ın Sıde area from Umut Pide - phone 0090-242-753-4549 - they also do FREE pıck up servıce ıf you want to eat ın theır restaurant. Other restaurants wıth FREE pıck up servıce and excellent prices = Britannia - run by an English lady Linda and serves fish and chips English style + pies + REAL English breakfasts and mixed grills + normal Turkish food - 0090-536-430-2075Kelebek - for good typıcal Turkısh food and lots of frebıes too! - 0090-242-753-2155Paradise - where you can sit on the rocks with Apollo Temple as your back-drop and watch the sunset by candle light - also lovely in the day 0090-242-753-2080Connys - very different from any other restaurant in Side and for a special evening - your fırst or last night here perhaps? Bırthday? Anniversary? Run by a lovely Dutch couple who have been ın Sıde for 17 years. 0090-242-753-1392And for those of you who like a good cake and coffee occasionally - do go to Doruk Pastanesi whıch is wear all the restaurants and bars here get their birthday cakes for customers. AMAZING variety and good prices. Coming from bıg 5 star hotels on Kumkoy to Sıde road - turn left at the road just before the 3 bıg banks (Akbank Guarantı and Yapı Kredı) by the big roundabout to the ruıns area - ıt ıs just there on the left corner - not far from Saturday market and mosque. Or phone 0090-242-753-5820 - if they are not too busy they may do FREE pick up too. For best - fresh ın twıce per week - Turkısh Delıght - also spıces - also Turkısh pomegranate lemon and kıwı teas - bracelets (just 2 Lire most of them!) - and NO HAGGLİNG - go to Onen (oldest shop ın Antic Side). Down Hıgh Street of Old Town Sıde and turn left at the lıttle cross street where ıt says To Mosque LEFT and to rıght ıs Gendarmarıe (Polıce) - up that hıll LEFT and ıts on your left. Get free cold water and a seat there too. Hope this helps a bit.

#5 Zola123

Zola123

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

Hi Angela,Thank you so much for replying to my many questions all on different forums.Just a couple more questions. I can get a rate of 2.86 for turkish lira is it worth changing up sterling in UK or in Turkey.

#6 Cukurbagli

Cukurbagli

I'm on the sunny side of the street.

• Kaş
  • 4052 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

Change it in a bank or post office in Turkey.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average around here.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

#7 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11862 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:59 PM

I agree with Cukur. The exchange rate is better in Turkey.
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#8 angelaturkey

angelaturkey

• Side
  • 339 posts

Awards

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

2.86 to

#9 Zola123

Zola123

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:46 PM

Thats great. I will change up a small amount and then change rest in Turkey. Do the banks speak english? and is post office/bank open on Saturday?Also where is the best place to get kids/12 year old boys fake clothes from? Getting excited now.

2.86 to

#10 angelaturkey

angelaturkey

• Side
  • 339 posts

Awards

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:21 AM

Yes, there is always at least one English speaker at each bank in Side - so you should have no problems there -Best place for fake designer jeans is Manavgat market on a Monday or Thursday - but do haggle for the best prices - start off about half of what they originally say and work your way up from there to a price you are both happy with -