Teaching In Anatolia

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mdoni

mdoni

• PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

Hi Everyone,I am so delighted to have found this site, it is really informative! A big thank-you to all who contribute so freely of their knowledge.I have an M.Ed (Environmental Education) and quite a few years experience of working in community schools and management of Education Programmes in the Public Sector, and I am planning to do the TESOL course in my home country. I am also a film-maker and amateur photographer and can 'teach' these skills.I am hoping to find a teaching opportunity in Cappadocia, in the vicinity of; Urgup, Kayseri, Avanos or Nevsihir. I would like to ask some advice of the forum members; are there any language schools in this area?, is it difficult to live there as an ex-pat?, are there any environmental forums/organisations in this area?, do you know if it is it difficult to get teaching jobs there?, would it be better for a single woman to live with a family?.If any of you living in this area can give me some advice, or those of you in the know could respond I would most appreciative.Kate

#2 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:15 PM

Hi Kate and welcome to our forum and glad you are finding it useful. Vic801 actually lives in that area and maybe able to answer your questions, :)

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#3 Vic801

Vic801

Supreme Member

• Cappadocia
  • 1433 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:31 PM

I am ashamed to say that after 3 years living in Cappadocia I don't have all the answers to your questions but I can give answers to some of them.On the teaching side, I know very little except that there is a University in Nevsehir but also in Mustafapasa (5km outside Urgup). I know an English girl who teaches there and if you send me a message with your email address I can forward her contact details.Living in Cappadocia as an expat? I enjoy it very much and don't look back. Someone else who is used to a more vibrant social life might find it dull. There is possibly an expat community here since there are a lot of foreigners (mostly French-speaking) but I have never been interested enough to find out. The weather is wonderful, hot and dry in the summer (but not too hot), cold, very cold in the winter. We eat fruit and vegetables as they come into season (no strawberries in December!). The landscape is magical, people are open to foreigners, I'll stop here or you might think I've been hired by the Cappadocia Tourist Board!As for living as a single woman here, I knwo a few single women who live alone and who have no problems except for the usual boring chat-up lines. Your problem will mainly be about accomodation in that finding a flat for a single person if difficult, we (only 2 people) had to take a 130m

Top of Turkey: A practical guide to Cappadocia

What not to miss, where to stay, food and drink, market days, arts and crafts, Turkish recipes, maps and distances, guided tours, driving in Turkey, hiking trails, Turkey travel essentiels, our Cappadocia tips and much, much more...

http://www.topofturkey.com

#4 mdoni

mdoni

• PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

Hi Kate and welcome to our forum and glad you are finding it useful. Vic801 actually lives in that area and maybe able to answer your questions, :)

Hi AbiThanks for the prompt reply!Actually I was just reading Vic 801's post on her 'journey' in Turkey and I was amazed at her natural story-telling abilities and she is so stoic! I think I would have slapped that little weasel by now.........Kate

I am ashamed to say that after 3 years living in Cappadocia I don't have all the answers to your questions but I can give answers to some of them.On the teaching side, I know very little except that there is a University in Nevsehir but also in Mustafapasa (5km outside Urgup). I know an English girl who teaches there and if you send me a message with your email address I can forward her contact details.Living in Cappadocia as an expat? I enjoy it very much and don't look back. Someone else who is used to a more vibrant social life might find it dull. There is possibly an expat community here since there are a lot of foreigners (mostly French-speaking) but I have never been interested enough to find out. The weather is wonderful, hot and dry in the summer (but not too hot), cold, very cold in the winter. We eat fruit and vegetables as they come into season (no strawberries in December!). The landscape is magical, people are open to foreigners, I'll stop here or you might think I've been hired by the Cappadocia Tourist Board!As for living as a single woman here, I knwo a few single women who live alone and who have no problems except for the usual boring chat-up lines. Your problem will mainly be about accomodation in that finding a flat for a single person if difficult, we (only 2 people) had to take a 130m

#5 Vic801

Vic801

Supreme Member

• Cappadocia
  • 1433 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:40 AM

Thank you for your message, Kate and your kind words. I am not as much stoic as sadistic! As a child I got great pleasure from pouring kettles of boiling water down antholes or covering slugs with salt and waiting until they exploded, so watching our little weasel try to wriggle and writhe himself out of the situation he's got himself into is also rather delightful. (He actually tried to sell "our" property again last week). I found the link for the environmental conferences, it is actually on one of our websites! http://www.topofturk...devents/#Gomeda

Top of Turkey: A practical guide to Cappadocia

What not to miss, where to stay, food and drink, market days, arts and crafts, Turkish recipes, maps and distances, guided tours, driving in Turkey, hiking trails, Turkey travel essentiels, our Cappadocia tips and much, much more...

http://www.topofturkey.com