Dave's Esl Cafe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 willow

willow

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:34 AM

I've been on Dave's ESL cafe a few times to see what the "job" market for English teachers is like, and just about all I find on there, and move other "job" forums are "listings" for jobs that involve going to certification classes that will guarantee their students jobs -- once they finish paying for and attending their very expensive lessons.I, for one, do not wish to spend another two to four months obtaining certification I already possess. Nor do I wish to pay up to $1,600 to get a job (air fare not included). I've tried to weed through these "job" listings but that seems to be the majority of the jobs that Dave's ESL cafe (and other job forums) lists. Or am I missing something completely? And surely there must be another way to find out who's hiring overseas...
When you come to the edge of all the light you have known and are about to step out into the darkness, faith is knowing one of two things will happen - there will be something to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly.

#2 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11853 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:19 PM

I've just looked at Dave's cafe and there are lots of jobs listed there, not via courses, unfortunately most are not in Turkey. Dave's ESL Cafe, International Jobs

ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#3 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:47 PM

Willow if you type Teaching Job Turkey into your search engine loads of different web sites will appear. Below are just 3 website I found by typing that phrase into Google. link Tefl link

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#4 Petunia846

Petunia846

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:40 AM

Hi Willow,Have you looked at this program? http://us.fulbrighto...g_teaching.html Among other countries, they're looking for 50 people to go to Turkey.If you have a masters in TESOL you could apply for this program: http://elf.georgetown.edu/

#5 willow

willow

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:35 PM

Hi everyone, thanks for the links. Sorry I haven't replied lately, I've been ill. I did check the links out and I don't know how I missed them. I swear every time I went on the site, all I could bring up was thinly veiled "jobs" that linked to CELTA or other certification schools. By the way, does anyone know about this company:Marmaris Recruitment? It seems to be the company behind some of the jobs linked above. ETA: In that list of "jobs" on Dave's ESL cafe, that's where if one clicks the link, more than likely you'll be taken to a site that claims to have jobs, but only if you complete their certification course, and then you're "guaranteed" a job. Yeah, not gonna happen.
When you come to the edge of all the light you have known and are about to step out into the darkness, faith is knowing one of two things will happen - there will be something to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly.