• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:22 AM

Linda, American by birth, has lived in Istanbul for 27 years with her Irish husband and set up the book exchange because she found it so difficult to find good books to read. Linda operates from a small room (which another ex-pat bibliophile lets her use rent free) in a back street off Istiklal Caddesi. The address is: Şehbender Sokak No.18, Asmalı Mescit

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#2 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11868 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:16 AM

A valuable service for English speakers, or should I say readers.
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#3 Ahududu

Ahududu

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:45 PM

Excellent find, Abi.I've been doing the charity shops recently to buy reading books for my kids, so I have a good supply when we move over.I think I'll be moved over to an e-reader, but there's nothing quite like browsing for books in real life, is there?

#4 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:02 PM

I agree with you Sue, I can spend hours browsing for books and really enjoy it. I haven't got an e-reader but have been told they take a bit of getting use to but after that people say they are great to use.

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#5 Ahududu

Ahududu

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

I think the benefit of them is having lots of books at your finger tips, Abi.I hate having to ration my reading when I'm on holiday, yet carrying 5 books looks like I'm being anti-social!!!So with an e-reader there's always a new one ready!!!!

#6 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11868 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:16 PM

Several people here in Cesme have got ereaders and they are very pleased with them. I plan on getting one when I go to the UK in the autumn then I won't have to bring my usual holdall full of books back with me. I can fill it with cheese and other goodies instead. :)
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#7 Alan123

Alan123

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:55 PM

Thanks Linda
Alan Davies

#8 Fen

Fen

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:36 PM

ah that sounds great! have to keep it in my mind since i loveee books and i was worried how i will find something to read if (when) i move over there. thanks for info, abi!

#9 clinky

clinky

Holte Ender in Moda

• Istanbul
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:34 PM

Will check this out...see if they've got any Wallanders knocking about.

An e-reader is tempting... to me it just doesn't 'feel' right.
The man in the chair was heavyset with longish, fair hair and a beard you might have picked for an important chat with Moses..." - Bernie Gunther