Dongles - What Do I Need To Know?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jasmine

jasmine

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:23 PM

Hi, will be relocating to Turkey soon, and will need internet connection. I understand that I cannot have a phone line in own name until have obtained residents permit but have been advised to use dongle - I have never used one before and never in Turkey. Any information gratefully received!

#2 IanB

IanB

Expert Member

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:29 PM

I wish I could help, Jasmine. I'm looking for help with dongles too. It seems that I may be able to buy a Pay as you go Turkcell dongle over there when I'm next in Turkey. I'm often to be found on gulet holidays where wi-fi cafes don't really help much and using my O2 phone to pick up mail racks up a huge bill in no time at all. In September I will be in Kalkan for a week and then on a gulet for a week so would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has bought one of these devices.How long does a top up stay valid? What sizes are available and at what cost? Is Turkcell the right one to go for?Please come back on this - Jasmine and I both need your help...
Some people are alive today only because it is illegal to shoot them.

#3 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:14 PM

I think Sunny will have the answer for you, I can't answer because mine is on a contract as I live here.

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#4 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11862 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:56 PM

I bought a dongle/stick modem for our German friend, from Avea last week and it cost 49.99tl for 1Gb. It will automatically go up to 4Gb when the 1Gb is used up. This is because I will get a bill.BUT I had to show my Turkish kimlik and get a nufus document. I need to check if foreigners can have one on a PAYG basis.
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#5 jasmine

jasmine

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:40 AM

I bought a dongle/stick modem for our German friend, from Avea last week and it cost 49.99tl for 1Gb. It will automatically go up to 4Gb when the 1Gb is used up. This is because I will get a bill.BUT I had to show my Turkish kimlik and get a nufus document. I need to check if foreigners can have one on a PAYG basis.

Thanks, am now here in turkey, went to turkcell and have bought one on PAYG basis, 3G modem. Just had to show passport and sign contract to hire modem. Not sure how much its gonna cost me to use yet as have not been using long. It was very easy to install, and is fast! Can now read news and listen to Radio 4 - bliss!

#6 IanB

IanB

Expert Member

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:46 PM

Thanks, am now here in turkey, went to turkcell and have bought one on PAYG basis, 3G modem. Just had to show passport and sign contract to hire modem. Not sure how much its gonna cost me to use yet as have not been using long. It was very easy to install, and is fast! Can now read news and listen to Radio 4 - bliss!

How much was it to buy?
Some people are alive today only because it is illegal to shoot them.