• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Vic801

Vic801

Supreme Member

• Cappadocia
  • 1433 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:49 PM

One of the things that exasperates me here (and there are very few) is the Internet connection quality. I hear Tribal (our dog) opening the door from the balcony which means he is coming inside and an electrical storm is coming. We have a 15 minutes hailstorm with a few flashes of lightning and thunder rumblings and the internet connection is down for over an hour. Why is it so fragile? Sometimes we get no connection (lights out on the modem) and if you just dial the TTnet hotline number and put the phone down it starts coming back. Aaaaargh! Frustration!

Top of Turkey: A practical guide to Cappadocia

What not to miss, where to stay, food and drink, market days, arts and crafts, Turkish recipes, maps and distances, guided tours, driving in Turkey, hiking trails, Turkey travel essentiels, our Cappadocia tips and much, much more...

http://www.topofturkey.com

#2 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11862 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:34 PM

Yes, it's very frustrating when things go wrong with the electrics. Nowadays things are much better here, but for the first ten years I was here every time we had a thunderstorm, it rained heavily or was very windy we had power cuts. Also the electricity fluctuated and sometimes was so bad that the TV turned itself off and the light bulb was about as powerful as a candle. this also burned out the motor on the fridge. We had to invest in a regulator to protect our electrical things until they installed a transformer just up the road.Even now if there is a thunderstorm it is wise to unplug the modem and other electrics as a few people lost theirs with surges in power.
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#3 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:58 PM

They replaced all the electricity cables around here last year and things have been a lot better since then. Before that the slightest bit of wind or wind was enough to lose the electric sometimes for hours at a time. I agree with Sunny about unplugging things as we had a bad day with the electric surging and it killed my microwave off :crying[1]:

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#4 dande

dande

• Çeşme
  • 1382 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

14 years ago, neighbours in our village here had to drive three miles and stand outside Tansaş to get a mobile 'phone signal. Those were the days!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page" (St. Augustine)

#5 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11862 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:13 PM

:D Fortunately we only had to go up the steps to the garden gate to get a signal!

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#6 Reyhan

Reyhan

Maryland'da fakat T

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:27 PM

İts apparently the same is Kuşadası as well. The Otopark he works at sometimes looses electricity from storms or even the little, frequent quakes. And there's been times thats happened while we were chatting which means that the PC shuts off also and he goes offline from msn :(

#7 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11862 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:07 AM

I think it's the same all over Turkey Reyhan but certainly in my area the electricity has less cuts and fluctuations than it used to but internet is v. slow but hoping for improvements in the not too distant future.

#8 Vic801

Vic801

Supreme Member

• Cappadocia
  • 1433 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:14 AM

I can understand the electricity outages and I've got used to those. We get mini and maxi power cuts - nothing in between. If the power doesn't come back after 5 minutes you know you are in for at least 8 hours. Since this usually happens in winter it just means taking everything out of the fridge and putting it on the balcony and since we have few electrical appliances it is just the annoyance of forgetting about it and trying to turn the light on when you go to the bathroom. I just get annoyed at the internet being cut off every time there is a gust of wind! Last night in the storm the lights didn't even flicker but the internet was down for an hour. Rant over.

Top of Turkey: A practical guide to Cappadocia

What not to miss, where to stay, food and drink, market days, arts and crafts, Turkish recipes, maps and distances, guided tours, driving in Turkey, hiking trails, Turkey travel essentiels, our Cappadocia tips and much, much more...

http://www.topofturkey.com