• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Vic801

Vic801

Supreme Member

• Cappadocia
  • 1433 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

This is probably not the right section in which to post it. Mods, feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate.A lot of people in Turkey complain about all the paperwork and bureaucracy but if you've ever lived in France you would understand that here is bliss.Resident permits are now not necessary for EU nationals in France but up until 2005 they were. You got only a 1 year permit which could be renewed 1 year and then a 5 year one until be able to apply for a 10 year one. After queuing for hours (you take your ticket at 9 am and you get to the desk at 4 pm) they give you a list of all the documents to produce. These are never the same ones. I met 2 people from my home town as I left the "Cit

Top of Turkey: A practical guide to Cappadocia

What not to miss, where to stay, food and drink, market days, arts and crafts, Turkish recipes, maps and distances, guided tours, driving in Turkey, hiking trails, Turkey travel essentiels, our Cappadocia tips and much, much more...

http://www.topofturkey.com

#2 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11862 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

Another great thumbnail of life. :DThis is worth remembering when as you trudge up the stairs to get another (useless) stamp on your bits of paper. :DActually, getting a residence permit here is a lot easier now than it used to be and the staff are much more friendly and helpful, believe me.
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#3 Mimar

Mimar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:17 PM

Thanks Vic ! I agree ! Though I can't speak for the situation in İstanbul where I'm sure it's a bit more hectic, I can speak for Ankara (which is still a fairly large city with a lot of foreign residents and students). I have to say that my experience here has been overwhelmingly positive. Sure things take time and you have to go up and down a lot of stairs, but I've found that if you are polite and smile and are patient vs. huffy and puffy at the least delay, that the public employees that you deal with are generally more than willing to be of help and have a "hey we're all human" point of view (!!).I too went through the machinery in Europe (Germany) which although there were a few exceptions, was one of the most exasperating and degrading experiences I've ever had and that over years and years. Still makes me shudder and I'm not the kind of person who gets worked up over things like that lightly. Turkish Bureaucracy ? I'd prefer it to what I experienced in Europe any day.

#4 Reyhan

Reyhan

Maryland'da fakat T

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:05 PM

I should find out about those same procedures in the US for residency permits. I mean the Dept of State website can list all the required procedures but I don't know how the actual physical experience is for people trying to get a permit to live, work or marry in the US. My exposure to the US bureaucracy has probably only been limited to certain procedures in the US Division of Motor Vehicles, which I had thought were annoying mostly though necessary. So true compared to some EU countries, Im sure experiences in Turkey would seem like a gentle breeze :)

#5 scobbiebhoy

scobbiebhoy

Expert Member

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:15 AM

Doesn't stop me laughing when we have to go to the notary and see that out of the 4 employees, one is obviously only employed to take the staples out of the documents, one does the photocopies, the other one re-staples and the last one puts at least 10 stamps on each page (if every we start up another company, I am sure rubber stamps would be a great idea).Ah the Henry Ford, assembly line model......taken a little bit too far. Seen all over Turkey. However to be fair, i work in North Africa and job creation for the sake of job creation is 100 times worse here!
Scobbiebhoy

#6 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11862 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:27 AM

Rubber stamp manufacturer or a photographer are both secure jobs in T. :)
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#7 dande

dande

• Çeşme
  • 1382 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:42 AM

A lot of people in Turkey complain about all the paperwork and bureaucracy but if you've ever lived in France you would understand that here is bliss.

About 10 years ago we purchased our first (second hand) car here in

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page" (St. Augustine)

#8 Vic801

Vic801

Supreme Member

• Cappadocia
  • 1433 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:50 AM

What amaezd me in France was the Stupidity of it. You can't get the pink paper if you don't have the green one. But in order to get the green one you need the pink one!For example, for my first residency permit I needed proof of residence. I was living in a government-run hostel at that time. The director told me that he couldn't give a document as proof of residence until I had my residence permit. But as an intelligent man he told me that the paper was on his desk and that he was going to the toilet. So I understood and took the documnet, filled it in and signed it myself.Other stupid things in France was being threatened with a heavy fine for not having indicated my change of address when I was calling the police to tell them that there was a burgarly happening!

What not to miss, where to stay, food and drink, market days, arts and crafts, Turkish recipes, maps and distances, guided tours, driving in Turkey, hiking trails, Turkey travel essentiels, our Cappadocia tips and much, much more...

#9 samanthaozkara

samanthaozkara

Supreme Member

• Çeşme
  • 1744 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

Aww I dont have a lot of patients and I get very annoyed at times here in Izmir but if I was in France I would have needed a residence permit to do a sentence in a french prison for murder haha!!I have got to say the workers here in Turkey are very very friendly and polite and do the best they can. The amount of times I have gone to the Emniyet, they tend to remember me and also my husbands old school friend is a worker in the office but is not allowed to handle my paperwork. Vic801, how come you get your ikamet on the same day! I have to wait a week for mine!! But we do tell them we are travelling from

Are You Looking To Buy or Rent In Çeşme Or Even Sell Your Home? Are You Also Looking To Insure Your Home Or Vehicle In Turkey? Well Stork Homes Estate Now Has An Insurance Department ... Contact Myself For More Information Or Visit Our Website
www.satilikcesme.com

#10 Vic801

Vic801

Supreme Member

• Cappadocia
  • 1433 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

Vic801, how come you get your ikamet on the same day! I have to wait a week for mine!! :D xxx

Just must be my sweet smile!! :hysterical[1]:

#11 samanthaozkara

samanthaozkara

Supreme Member

• Çeşme
  • 1744 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:18 PM

Well I am not impressed by that!! I must renew mine on Monday so I will give them a sweet smile too and if it dont work I will complain haha xxx

Are You Looking To Buy or Rent In Çeşme Or Even Sell Your Home? Are You Also Looking To Insure Your Home Or Vehicle In Turkey? Well Stork Homes Estate Now Has An Insurance Department ... Contact Myself For More Information Or Visit Our Website
www.satilikcesme.com