Mountain Tea

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CAS

CAS

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:07 PM

Whilst visiting London recently we called into a Turkish supermarket where my Turkish hubby bought some tall dried 'weeds'. His Turkish friend has told him its 'Mountain Tea' (plants collected in the mountains hence the name).Does anyone know what the weed/herb might be please?Its about 2ft high. Buff coloured (whole plant) and has small, tightly closed, pea-size flowers going up the main stem. Quite smelly when boiled and produces a yellowy green 'tea'.Not exactly my cup of tea (no pun intended) but hubby loves it. Mind you he's addicted to salgam .... need I say anymore?!CAS

#2 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:37 PM

Cas, not sure if this is what you are looking for link

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#3 Vic801

Vic801

Supreme Member

• Cappadocia
  • 1435 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:06 AM

In Cappadocia what we call mountain tea is in fact wild thyme. But it could be different depending on where it comes from. Soothing as an evening drink but it is an acquired taste.

Top of Turkey: A practical guide to Cappadocia

What not to miss, where to stay, food and drink, market days, arts and crafts, Turkish recipes, maps and distances, guided tours, driving in Turkey, hiking trails, Turkey travel essentiels, our Cappadocia tips and much, much more...

http://www.topofturkey.com

#4 CAS

CAS

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:06 PM

Thanks, maybe it is the same, ours was dried but will ask hubby.Will check out dried thyme too.I though someone on here might be able to help!