Photo
- - - - -

How Do You Get Your Residency Permit, Police Station?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hazal

Hazal

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:01 PM

Hi all, hope someone can help...?

Due to head out to istanbul to teach and was wondering if anyone knew how to get a residency permit?

I've heard you go to the police station the department for foreigners for an application form. I seen in a forum discussion(2009) someone mentioned you need to show evidence that you have money in the bank, a turkish bank. I do but of course a british bank account so just wondering how that works. I've heard you can open a turkish bank account quite easily once you get a tax number...? (i think)

So just wondered if anyone had applied for a residence permit recently? Starting to worry about all these technicalities...

Hazal.

#2 Cukurbagli

Cukurbagli

I'm on the sunny side of the street.

• Super Mod
  • 3988 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:15 PM

I'm going to be applying for a new residence permit next week. My local place is the Antalya area police station in Kemer. Yes you need to show a certain amount of money in a Turkish bank, the amount depends on how long you want the permit to run for. Your passport will have to cover you for the duration of the permit, if it doesn't you will only be allowed a permit within the passport expiry date. Yes, once you have a tax number opening a bank account is simple. Plenty more information in THIS forum. You will have time because your tourist visa that you enter the country on will last for 90 days so take it easy, it can be a frustrating experience the first time, just allow yourself the time, it won't usually happen quickly or easily and we all feel stressed about doing it.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average around here.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

#3 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11853 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:38 PM

Of course if you get a job the school/university should sort out a work permit for you so don't rush into getting a residence permit. As Cukur says, you have 90 days.

ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#4 Hazal

Hazal

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:32 PM

Thank you both, yeah i am forgetting about my 90 day visa to start with hopefully in that time i can get organised enough to know what i am doing nearer the final 30 days of that initial visa. I am actually hoping that if all goes well i shall meet some expats out there who will be able to direct me a little, ha vulnerability is an awful feeling sometimes but all part of the experience i guess.Hazal