• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:05 PM

Brrr. Winter has returned with a vengeance, which is all the more reason to look ahead to summer. Over the next few weeks we will be helping you choose where to go on holiday. This week, the Black Sea.Turkey's Black Sea coast stretches all the way from just north of İstanbul to the Georgian border at Sarp (with an extension into Thrace, of course). Far fewer foreign tourists visit the Black Sea than the Aegean and Mediterranean, mainly because its unpredictable climate makes rain an ever-present threat even in summer. But that same rain guarantees that this is one of the greenest parts of Turkey, with thick forests still a feature of the inland valleys despite the concrete development that disfigures much of the coast itself.Small beaches dot the seaside with decent resorts at Amasra and Sinop, and even some sand around the sizeable port town of Samsun. Beyond Samsun, Ünye, Ordu and Giresun repay brief stops, but the real drawcard of the eastern end of the coast is vibrant Trabzon, with the reconstructed cliff-face monastery of Sümela as its primary attraction.Beyond Trabzon, the Kaçkar Mountains offer excellent summer trekking possibilities out of Ayder and Barhal; for the time being, whitewater rafting also continues to be an option out of Yusufeli. The center of the flourishing tea industry, Rize is the last Black Sea town of any interest to visitors. Make sure to sample some of the famous local cuisine, especially the hamsi (anchovies) if you're visiting in winter.Look out, too, for women dressed in colorful local costume, particularly in the Laz country around Rize. Turks regard Safranbolu and Kastamonu as Black Sea towns; most visitors probably think of them as inlandMore

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#2 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11862 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

I'll have to file this away so that when I eventually get around to visiting the Black Sea coast I'll know where to visit and which places to give a miss.

ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#3 ericR12

ericR12

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

Turkey’s Black Sea coast has a huge coastline that has amazing places to explore like scenic towns, landscapes, ancient castles and lovely beaches. The public transportation is very scarce so a rental car is the best way to explore it. Recently some of my knowns did a part of this trip in a rental car and find a great car hire deal from turkeyrentalcars.com. Giresun, Rize, Samsun, Sinop, Terme, Trabzon, Unye, Ordu and Vezirkopru are some of the main stops in this coast offering variety of attractions.