Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saffron

Practice The Turkish 'u'

3 posts in this topic

If you have read the material pinned above to define the Turkish 'u', now you can read the following words..The wovel 'o' accompanies 'u' in many words. I think the 'o' in 'north' is good enough to give a right idea about the Turkish 'o'. Please, however, always try to say it shortly: even the 'o' of north is a bit long.Koyun: sheepOyun: game, play (oynamak:1-to play 2- to dance, in particular folkloric dance)Boyun: neckDoyum: satisfaction (doymak: to get satisfied)Konuk: guest (konmak 1- for a bird or plane, to land 2- for a nomad, to stop and settle temporarily)Donuk: 1- opaque 2- frozen (donmak: to get frozen)Topuk: heel (top: ball)Oluk: an open pipe, like those on the roofs for rain water drainageOyuk: 1- carved 2- having cavity or hollow (oymak: to carve)Ufuk: horizonUmut: hope (ümit is also used)Uzun: longSulu: 1- watery 2-including waterBuluş: innovation (icat is also used) (bulmak: to find)

Saffron - Thanks :birgits_takk[1]: for taking the time to write this up - very interesting and informative ... I have been visiting my local Umut Pide for years and never until now realised Umut meant Hope ... so I Hope my Pide will turn out alright - Affayet Olsun!! :hysterical[1]:

I'm happy for that, Angelaturkey..So your hope isnt lost yet after all this time? :hysterical[1]: