• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 saffron

saffron

Turkish Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:43 PM

If you have read the material pinned above to define the Turkish 'u', now you can read the following words..The wovel 'o' accompanies 'u' in many words. I think the 'o' in 'north' is good enough to give a right idea about the Turkish 'o'. Please, however, always try to say it shortly: even the 'o' of north is a bit long.Koyun: sheepOyun: game, play (oynamak:1-to play 2- to dance, in particular folkloric dance)Boyun: neckDoyum: satisfaction (doymak: to get satisfied)Konuk: guest (konmak 1- for a bird or plane, to land 2- for a nomad, to stop and settle temporarily)Donuk: 1- opaque 2- frozen (donmak: to get frozen)Topuk: heel (top: ball)Oluk: an open pipe, like those on the roofs for rain water drainageOyuk: 1- carved 2- having cavity or hollow (oymak: to carve)Ufuk: horizonUmut: hope (ümit is also used)Uzun: longSulu: 1- watery 2-including waterBuluş: innovation (icat is also used) (bulmak: to find)

#2 angelaturkey

angelaturkey

• Side
  • 339 posts

Awards

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:26 PM

Saffron - Thanks :birgits_takk[1]: for taking the time to write this up - very interesting and informative ... I have been visiting my local Umut Pide for years and never until now realised Umut meant Hope ... so I Hope my Pide will turn out alright - Affayet Olsun!! :hysterical[1]:

#3 saffron

saffron

Turkish Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:36 PM

I'm happy for that, Angelaturkey..So your hope isnt lost yet after all this time? :hysterical[1]: