• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 saffron

saffron

Turkish Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

I think one of the most problematic sounds of Turkish for a learner is 'ı'. In fact it is not so unfamiliar as it looks. If you examine the following examples, I hope, you can pronounce it as a Turkish speaking person does..Actually this 'ı' is the sound between 'd' and 'l' in handle or candle..If you try to say them slowly, the 'ı' between 'd' and 'l' can be heard..If I would write these words as I hear in the way my ears are accustomed to hear the Turkish words, I would write them as 'kendıl' and hendıl'. As the sound between Turkish 'a' and Turkish 'e' can most of the time be said as 'e' in Turkish, I wrote them as kendıl and hendıl. In other words, there is no letter corresponding to the English 'a' in handle or many other similar words. As to the sound itself, in some words of Arabic or Persian origin a sound similar to the English 'a' in handle can be heard, but only similar, not the same (example: 'lazım'= necessary)Turning back to 'ı', there is another way that you can try..'Tender' let's say...the 'r' at the end is only slightly heard. If you remove it, you will have 'tendı'. Or try 'chapter'. Just focus on the 'er' and try not to hear 'r'. What you will get is the Turkish 'ı'.
  • Paks likes this