• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:01 PM

Just to remind those of you who plan to travel to or from the uk that there is a major shutdown here the like of which i've not seen since the ash cloud. But it's worse thus time because the weather is also affecting the roads and trains. The problem is that although nothing is flying at Heathrown the airlines STILL require us to turn up or else forfeit the ticket. I'd decided that if this situation is still like this when I have to go back then I just won't go to Heathrow because I could get stuck there with heavy bags. I would have to pay for a taxi there and back (that's if I even found one to take me back) and with the taxi costs plus the huge think it's better to shrug off the ticket price and rebook when the weather gets better. This is the risk one now takes when travelling in winter but I don't like to leave my old mum alone at Christmas time. I wish only that the airlines COULD be contacted. Their lines are either down or permanently engaged.

#2 Cukurbagli

Cukurbagli

I'm on the sunny side of the street.

• Super Mod
  • 3988 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

Just listening to the news and Paris is in a similar situation and a number of airports in Germany too.By the way I removed your double post of this topic.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average around here.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

#3 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:11 PM

I am flying to the Heathrow but not until 21 January, they are saying the bad weather should be over by the 16 January so not going to panic yet.When are you returning to Turkey?

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#4 Meral

Meral

Supreme Member

• Çeşme
  • 2139 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:14 PM

I certainly do hope the weather clears up soon -- hubby is fue to fly back on 20 January.Shouldn't the airlines be posting bulletins on their websites ? :animatedwink[1]:
I am fairly certain that
Given a Cape and a nice Tiara
I could save the world.
........................ Author Unknown

#5 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

Cukur thanks, the website wouldn't load so I had to push the 'post' button twice:) Abi, 16 th January is a little late for me...I am due to fly back on the 2nd January. If all flights will be grounded for the next two weeks then it really will be worse than the ash cloud. Meral, the airlines only update their websites late in the afternoon and like many others I have a morning flight. Even if I didn't turn up, wasted the ticket and had to rebook the question is when? I am supposed to start teaching again on the 3rd so will have to email all my students...this whole travel thing is such a drag, I hate the winter.

#6 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:39 PM

Oh dear, I can see why you are worried BenH, will keep my fingers crossed for you.

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#7 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

I was 'lucky' in April because THY cancelled the flight the day before so I didn't have to turn ul at Heathrow. I rebooked it for a week later and the ash cloud had been deemed safe. I wish they wouldn't insist on travellers doing that because it's refsulting in much more chaos. I mean all the airlines, not just THY.

#8 Cukurbagli

Cukurbagli

• Super Mod
  • 3988 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:28 PM

Well I hope they get thier act together, I want to go to Gatwick somewhere between the 7th and the 11th too.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

#9 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11853 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:15 PM

As long as it doesn't snow again I think you'll be OK. According to my son it was snowing so hard yesterday that snow ploughs just couldn't cope. As soon as they cleared a road it was being covered up again straight away.

ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#10 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:02 PM

Yes you are right Sunny. The problem with the airlines is if they cancel too far ahead and the flight then goes ahead they'll end up with empty seats. So that means people wind up stranded at the airport because if they don't check in they won't get compensated. But as I said I'd rather forfeit the ticket than get marooned at Heathrow. It's not just the snow here, the temperatures are so low the aircrafts and stands get iced up and have to be defrosted. It showed them pouring huge vats of antifreeze over the aircraft.

#11 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11853 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:03 PM

It showed them pouring huge vats of antifreeze over the aircraft.

I saw that but if they don't use the plane within a very short time it ices up again and so they have to do it again.I agree with you Benh, I'd rather rebook rather than be stuck in an airport. Must be hell for those with young kids.

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#12 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:54 PM

Yes Sunny, the only thing about not going is, as I said, you forfeit the ticket and for those with families that means serious money.

#13 scoobydoo

scoobydoo

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:14 PM

OK everyone, cross your fingers for me, I'm off to the UK tomorrow, Tues, and due to land at Gatwick around 2330hrs. My brother is supposed to be driving from Harlow to meet me, if he can get through!In case I don't get on here again before the festivities begin, :animatedwink[1]: Merry Christmas and a healthy, wealthy and happy New Year to you all, I'm back on January 9th :hysterical[1]:xxxx

#14 Cukurbagli

Cukurbagli

• Super Mod
  • 3988 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:58 PM

All the best Scooby, don't envy you I must say.

#15 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11853 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:19 PM

Good luck with your journey Scooby. I'll certainly keep my fingers crossed for you. I hope you and your family have a wonderful time. http://www.turkeycen...tyle_emoticons/default/cheers1[1].gif :cheer[1]:

#16 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:12 PM

Scooby hope you have an uneventful journey back to the UK and that you have a wonderful time with your family. Thank you for your kind wishes and wish you the same.I will have my fingers and toes crossed for you, also Cukur and BenH the list seems to getting longer :cheer[1]:

#17 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:41 PM

Scooby, Gatwick is much better than Heathrow. The trouble with Heathrow is the sheer size of it and the snow they cant clear from the aircraft stands. As I write this, THY have cancelled all flights tomorrow, the head of BAA says unlikely any kind of normality before and even some time after Christmas but at least THY and other airlines aren't leaving it until the last minute to cancel and let one know the day before. Unless there is a substantial improvement in weather conditions ( not likely they say) I will have to reschedule. It's so cold here I can hardly sit in the room and go to bed early with a hot water bottle. The road outside hasn't been cleared and I have to slide down to the village tomorrow as I have a dental appointment. So not having that much fun this year:)