No Flamingos On Tuzla Lake

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 stevebrent

stevebrent

• Bodrum
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:08 PM

housepic7.jpg angies pics 40208 025.jpg housepic4_edited.jpg Hi allI took Abi's advice and have started this thread and would like to know any information regarding the lack of flamingos on Tuzla lake over the last two years. I have a video on youtube also no my web site in the property for rent bit, showing how many flamingo's where on the lake in 2008. does anyone know the reasons for this ??? I have been told that there is a lot of untreated sewage is being discharged into the lake, has any info on this??A bit about myself I bought a wreck of a farm house(I have attached some pics) and have been renovating it over the last 5 years so I know a bit about the area I think I was one of the first europeans buy in the area, so I know a bit about the area.DSCF0025.JPG if any one has any info please let me know

#2 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:26 PM

Steve, thank you soo much for the photo's. The transformation is amazing and a credit to you as you now hace a really lovely home. :see_stars[1]: :confused1[1]:. It's a great pity about the flamingos and hope they will be back again. I've found this link from last December which gives some information on wht may have caused it. link

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#3 stevebrent

stevebrent

• Bodrum
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:42 PM

Steve, thank you soo much for the photo's. The transformation is amazing and a credit to you as you now hace a really lovely home. :see_stars[1]: :confused1[1]:. It's a great pity about the flamingos and hope they will be back again. I've found this link from last December which gives some information on wht may have caused it. link

ta Abi I will put more pics in my albums, I read the link and it doesn't sound too hopeful, I work in the water treatment business so I know how fast polution can kill a lake or river, lets hope they can sort it out fast kep smiling Steve B

#4 Kamal

Kamal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:56 AM

Hi Steve Your place looks beautiful. I have just come back from Bodrum and can't honestly say if there were any flamingos but when I was there in September this year I did see lot of sea gulls in the Vita Golf park lake but no flamingos. It would be sad to see if these lovely birds disappearing from the lake. I am new Villa owner in the area but already I am finding that to live there having a car is a must because all the shops and stores are at a distance. Eating from nearby restaurants is very expensive even more expensive than London.RegardsKamal

#5 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:46 PM

Steve I had a look at your photo's in the gallery and they were really super, thanks for sharing them with us :wallbash[1]:

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#6 jakkigers

jakkigers

Expert Member

• Bodrum
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:14 PM

Hi, there were definitely flamingos on Tuzla in October - not many I admit, but they were there. I also saw a couple of pelicans. There were loads of flamingos on the lake at Christmas/New Year 2008 which was a fantastic site.I have been told that they intend to drain some of the lake to build more houses in the area. Let's hope this is not true - surely there's no need for more half built/empty properties in the area.Jak xx

#7 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:01 PM

Well that's good and bad news thanks for letting us know Jak and I did agree 100% with what you said in your last paragraph.

#8 stevebrent

stevebrent

• Bodrum
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:19 PM

Hi jak,Thanks for the reply, It was in sept 2008 (I think that I took the flamingo video) I think it would be a disaster if they changed the layout of the lake, it looks like a very delicate eco balance and if they start messing around with it it will only get worse. as you said there are hundreds of unfinished properties around the lake and lots of flat land to build on around the lake, so to drain it makes no sense. could you nice people add your pics to the gallery so I can see where you have bought your dream homes. Has anyone ever seen any wild boars there are supposed to be lots around the area.keep smilingSteve

Hi Steve Your place looks beautiful. I have just come back from Bodrum and can't honestly say if there were any flamingos but when I was there in September this year I did see lot of sea gulls in the Vita Golf park lake but no flamingos. It would be sad to see if these lovely birds disappearing from the lake. I am new Villa owner in the area but already I am finding that to live there having a car is a must because all the shops and stores are at a distance. Eating from nearby restaurants is very expensive even more expensive than London.RegardsKamal

Hi KamalMany thanks for the compliments, as you say you definately need a car to stay around the lake. If anyone is interested Bafa lake is a fantastic place to visit and stay (about 1 hours drive through milas). As for resturants The Agora (on the main road) is and old favorite of ours, but their prices are slowly creeping up. a mile or two towards Milas is a resturant called Esenteppe above a shop near the fish factory its cheap and cheerful. Guvercinlic is great for food around the sea front.

#9 Kamal

Kamal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:32 PM

Hi Steve I have been to Agora and as you have said they are quite reasonable. We have also been to to a restaurant in Bogaizchi called Bargalia where the food was nice but very expensive, I have to start looking into buying a car.RegardsKamal

#10 jakkigers

jakkigers

Expert Member

• Bodrum
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:38 AM

I'd be happy to put a couple of pics of our place - how do I do this?Jak x

#11 Cukurbagli

Cukurbagli

I'm on the sunny side of the street.

• Super Mod
  • 3989 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:27 AM

Hi Jakkigers, with the new look forum there is a slight difference to the instructions for pposting pictures that Ken wrote last year.

If you have the picture stored on your computer then do this:

Click Add Reply
Click Click To Attach Files (you might have to click twice)
Select the picture on your computer and click Open
Your picture thumbnail, name and size will appear on the left under Attachments
Click Add to Post

A text reference will appear in your post. You can select and move the text to put it in the appropriate place in your post and scroll down and click Preview Post to see that everything is correct, then when you scroll down and click Add Reply your post will appear on the forum with picture included.

Easy Peasy

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average around here.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

#12 buck

buck

• PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:16 PM

Lovely photos Steve thanks for sharing.

#13 Kamal

Kamal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:06 PM

If people are still wondering about flamingos in Tuzla lake, I would like to say that I am seeing a big flock of them on my daily walks.

#14 Cukurbagli

Cukurbagli

I'm on the sunny side of the street.

• Super Mod
  • 3989 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:30 PM

Good to hear that Kamal, I did wonder once or twice.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average around here.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness