• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:11 AM

Michael O'Leary is right; these hand baggage restrictions are silly and they don't work. Pretty obvious why; as soon as one plot is discovered using liquids whatever....the terrorists find another way. This time Ms May has announced that we cannot carry large printer cartridges in hand baggage. Admittedly, this isn't something we usually pack in our hand baggage but the principle is the same - shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. The essence of terrorism is unpredictability and they obviously won't repeat their methods. These security checks take forever and don't achieve anything since the terrorist just thinks of something else. They're unlikely to use printer cartridges again - next time it will be something else that no-one has thought of.

#2 Ahududu

Ahududu

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:29 AM

I seriously have my doubts that this was a real terrorist plot.I think with the recent announcements about security alert levels etc, this seems too much of a coincidence.Then we get Ms May saying 'We are constantly under attack from terrorists'!!Something's going on. Hidden agenda is my feeling!

#3 mitchmoud

mitchmoud

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:32 AM

I seriously have my doubts that this was a real terrorist plot.I think with the recent announcements about security alert levels etc, this seems too much of a coincidence.Then we get Ms May saying 'We are constantly under attack from terrorists'!!Something's going on. Hidden agenda is my feeling!

Would you rather be blown out of the sky to find out?
High aspirations, Moderate expectations, Small needs.

#4 mimosa

mimosa

• Çeşme
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:53 PM

Travelling to England I had forgotton that I had some drinking water in my backpack. I went through control without any mishaps but I was quite shocked when I saw my bottle.Last week I flew to Vienna and stayed there a few days.Yesterday I returned back to Turkey. On emptying the suitcase, blow me if there was another bottle of water (I am use to carrying water around with me) That water was bought in England. So it went through two controls (England and Vienna). I know I was'nt suppose to carry them!! (I really and truly forgot about them). The point is, though all the airports are suppose to to have strict luggage control. how come they missed my water.That means terrorists came come in all disquises, and can easily get explosives on board.It is really a chilling thought at how easy it is!!!! :thankyou: :girlpower[1]:

#5 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11867 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:14 PM

Naughty naughty Mimosa! :D Next time I'll search you before I let you into the car. :DSecurity checks I don't mind, what else are you going to do at the airport while waiting for your plane? But the water restrictions are a nuisance as, like you Mimosa, I always like to have a bottle of water with me. I did read that they have developed a machine that can scan a bottle and tell what it contains. I will be happy when they install those.
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#6 Ahududu

Ahududu

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:34 PM

Would you rather be blown out of the sky to find out?

No, I'd rather get to the bottom of the maybe not so 'hidden' agenda by the US government!How come there wasn't any coverage of these on the UK news, but lots of the 'Al Quieda' bomb plots???????http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/northernireland/8099581/Police-detonate-40kg-bomb-in-Northern-Ireland.htmlhttp://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/belfast-airport-car-bomb-there-for-a-year-480016.htmlLike I say, not so 'hidden' agenda!!!!!!!!!!

#7 mitchmoud

mitchmoud

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:39 PM

No, I'd rather get to the bottom of the maybe not so 'hidden' agenda by the US government!How come there wasn't any coverage of these on the UK news, but lots of the 'Al Quieda' bomb plots???????http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/northernireland/8099581/Police-detonate-40kg-bomb-in-Northern-Ireland.htmlhttp://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/belfast-airport-car-bomb-there-for-a-year-480016.htmlLike I say, not so 'hidden' agenda!!!!!!!!!!

I am at a loss as to the US "hidden agenda" you describe. What is it? Are we ruining the world yet again?

#8 Ahududu

Ahududu

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:04 PM

Well, Id guess the US Republican Party want more votes and seats.The US military want to increase their budget and recruits.The US security/secret/intelligence services want to increase their budgets.And that there is some billion dollar deal going on 'somewhere'!!Ultimately there is a long term plan involved.Yemen supports Iran's nuclear programme.....And No, I'm not a conspiracy theorist!!!!! (oh, BTW are you American?)Bottom line is that if UPS in Yemen and Dubai had used proper security it wouldn't have got this far.And, please, a printer being sent from Yemen to a synagogue in USA - not suspicious at all!!!!!

#9 mitchmoud

mitchmoud

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:40 PM

Well, Id guess the US Republican Party want more votes and seats.The US military want to increase their budget and recruits.The US security/secret/intelligence services want to increase their budgets.And that there is some billion dollar deal going on 'somewhere'!!Ultimately there is a long term plan involved.Yemen supports Iran's nuclear programme.....And No, I'm not a conspiracy theorist!!!!! (oh, BTW are you American?)Bottom line is that if UPS in Yemen and Dubai had used proper security it wouldn't have got this far.And, please, a printer being sent from Yemen to a synagogue in USA - not suspicious at all!!!!!

Of course I am American, thus my interest. While that is a nice "laundry list" do you have any evidence or facts? The US does not control UK and Yemeni security where this happened.

#10 Ahududu

Ahududu

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:10 PM

Why of course?Just ignore it.Call me a conspiracy theorist.And keep singing The Star Spangled Banner :lol:

#11 mitchmoud

mitchmoud

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:00 AM

Why of course?Just ignore it.Call me a conspiracy theorist.And keep singing The Star Spangled Banner :lol:

OK! I need to keep my head down anyhow. I am in Athens, and a lot of the embassies had bomb scares today. Looks that way in many places in the EU. Glad I am going home next week for a while. Also read about a bomb in Istanbul.

#12 Ahududu

Ahududu

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

Stay safe :lol:

#13 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:53 PM

*sigh* you guys hijacked my thread:( It was about the pointlessness of banning things from hand baggage when the essence of terrorism is unpredictability and never using the same method twice or at least not in the same way. I actually loved Michael O'Leary's comment about 'they must be laughing at us; sitting in their caves.' He's not everyone's cup of tea, as I said, but he sure calls a spade a spade.

#14 Ahududu

Ahududu

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

LOL ----'hijacked' !!!!!! ^_^

#15 Ken

Ken

Kapıcı

• Antalya
  • 5457 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:52 PM

I like the quote, Benhalterci! It was hard to pass on a few comments I had. I'm retired from a military agency responsible for counterintelligence (Air Force Office of Special Investigations [OSI]). And I'm also a republican! ^_^ Three nerves struck there.Reminds me of the time I told a new friend of mine the joke about the dyslexic atheist with insomnia who stayed awake at night and wondered if there was a "dog." She was offended, because she actually WAS a dyslexic, and an atheist, and had insomnia!But Benhalterci you're right, let's stay on topic here...Benhalterci, it seems to me with that logic we should go back and allow people to carry box cutters on aircraft. That's not what you're saying, is it? At least they're still allowing us to wear underwear! :lol:

***   Want to do more to help? Then click follow_this_forum.png at the top right of any forum about a topic or place you know about.  You'll get an e-mail alert and an opportunity to help others in need. ***

#16 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:03 PM

Ken let's be serious:) Box cutters can clearly be used as weapons. Printer cartridges on the other hand....I mean..like you said before somewhere.....where does it end? Soon we won't be able to take on any hand baggage at all!

#17 mitchmoud

mitchmoud

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:59 PM

Ken let's be serious:) Box cutters can clearly be used as weapons. Printer cartridges on the other hand....I mean..like you said before somewhere.....where does it end? Soon we won't be able to take on any hand baggage at all!

The problem lies not in what we take, but how we take it. I think Ben was saying put the box cutter in checked baggage.and attempt to obey the rules. If you look at passengers delaying the process they have baubles, bangles, beads, metallic underwear, various lotions, potions and notions all unmarked and previously opended. add to that they have Grandma's modified teapot and cappuchino maker under their left arm. It is slow because we make it slow.

Edited by Ken, 11 January 2011 - 07:15 PM.

#18 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:11 PM

Mitch yes I see what you mean but my point is that these terrorists will always find other ways to carry out their evil deeds. Of course allowing sharps etc would make it that much easier to use something as a weapon but to be honest I don't know how much difference it would make. Of course we can't suddenly allow sharps back after all this time (since 9/11) because that will be a gift to the terrorists now and a sign of 'going soft' but my point was that specifically targeting printer cartridges is silly because next time they'll pick on something completely different and unpredicted.

#19 Sirin

Sirin

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:48 PM

specifically targeting printer cartridges is silly because next time they'll pick on something completely different and unpredicted.

although the law of double bluff decrees that if you didn't ban toner cartridges, they'd try again just because you wouldn't expect them to be so daft.

#20 Ken

Ken

Kapıcı

• Antalya
  • 5457 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:09 AM

Just my opinion here...Yes they'll always find a new way. And we must be one step ahead of them at every turn. We need to succeed a thousand times, they only need to succeed but once.Airport screening machines, alone, can't detect what is an explosive or accellerant is or what isn't, any more than a polygraph, alone, can detect a liar. These machines simply indicate certain things, to be read by a trained operator of these machines.I suspect that someone discovered that the contents of a printer cartridge may, or may not be, indicated as an explosive or accellerant from the point of view of an airport screener. That means that maybe it's just printer powder in there, and maybe it's not. Not all explosives or accellerants are as easily detected as C-4 or Semtex, there are lots of chemical combinations out there.I really don't think a terrorist group has found a way to use standard, off-the-the-shelf printer cartridges to blow up airplanes. But they may have found an explosive, or accellerant, which can be introduced into a printer cartridge, which appears to be print powder to the typical airport screener. Actually, in this case, one of the good guys might have found this vulnerability first.I suspect that this is likely the reason for this new rule. I don't think the airport security people are simply lying awake at night trying to figure out ways to inconvenience people. This may simply be the security folk being one step ahead, which is something they should be applauded for.

***   Want to do more to help? Then click follow_this_forum.png at the top right of any forum about a topic or place you know about.  You'll get an e-mail alert and an opportunity to help others in need. ***