• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lostinparadise

lostinparadise

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:46 PM

Just letting off steam really, but it would be nice to know if anyone else has had similar experiences ... and is it just Turkey or an international problem? I ordered an mp3 player through a website, giving the details of my Turkish kimlik card as requested. I had a call from the firm querying something or other, which we sorted out, but then the lady asked me if I had a Turkish (ı.e.native) friend nearby. I asked what she hadnt understood (conversation was all in Turkish) or what she felt I hadnt understood, and she replied nothing but she still made the same request. I didnt want to lose the nicely priced quality mp3 player in a nice shade of purple ...so gave her the phone number of a multilingual turkish friend. Then rang him to tell him to expect the call. He rang me back later the same day, to tell me the woman had not believed I was who I said I was .............because my voice sounded too young!!!! (the kimlik would give my date of birth of course).This is just an example of the stereotyping on the basis of chronological age that I am coming up against these days. I hadnt even realised myself that peoples voices change as they age (assuming they dont smoke of course!).

#2 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:43 PM

Well a nice compliment LiP although I can imagine it was annoying at the time. My mother was told a few times how young she sounded on the phone in her late 70's and she lived in Australia.

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#3 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

Abi, yes my mum gets compliments about her voice and she loves it - bless her, she is 83 now and hard of hearing but she does have a young voice:)

#4 lostinparadise

lostinparadise

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 03:38 PM

I hadnt thought of it as a compliment before - thanks for making me see the bright side of the situation!