• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

A few days ago I gave a trial lesson to a Turkish guy. The lesson was difficult as he kept coming on to me but I stuck it out and tried to ignore his silly remarks so he wouldn't refuse to pay me at the end of the lesson. At the end of the lesson I asked him not to keep ringing me (when we arranged the lesson he kept ringing me to say when am I coming and changing the time of the lesson and in fact during the time i was walking down the road to meet him had rung about 15 times) but he keeps ringing. I answered one to ask him to stop but he keeps ringing and has also sent abusive text messages which I have deleted. The only thing I can do is to keep the phone ringer off and look to see who's ringing me but I need that phone for existing students and potential ones and the number is on my website. I've already had to change the number once before because a Turkish guy was stalking me here. This is such a drag. Do you think he'll stop?

#2 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:10 PM

Sorry to hear that Benh, on the assumption that you won't be giving him any more lessons can't you just block his number on your phone or is he using other phones to call you from rather than just his own mobile?

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#3 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

Abi, how would I be able to go about that? (blocking his number on my phone)

#4 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:53 PM

Well on a normal mobile it's easy, but you have a Blackberry. Anyway I found a couple of links that may help link 1 link 2

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

#5 Ahududu

Ahududu

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:43 PM

HiBuy a whistle, answer his calls and blow it down the phone!!I believe you speak Russian? Speak Russian in a loony manner when you answer!Make a recording of 'this number has been disconnected' and play it to his calls.Get a male friend to record something, and play it to his calls.Tell him you've got voices in your head, and start ranting about something surreal and nutty. Basically, he wants a reaction from you, it's a turn on. If you react in a nutty manner he won't find it fun - it's not the reaction he wants.Good luck!!

#6 max

max

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:06 PM

Do you have the facility to switch between calls ? If so, when he calls just put the phone in your pocket and let him talk, it will be his money he is wasting and you can switch if you get another call.

#7 sunny

sunny

Cesme Expert

• Çeşme
  • 11866 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:15 PM

I believe there is a number where you can report nuisance calls but I can't remember it at the moment. I'll ask around. (it's something like 143) Does anyone else know?
ALWAYS FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES; NOTHING ANNOYS THEM MORE! ~~~Oscar Wilde~~~

ALL OF US COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THE WEATHER. IT PAYS NO ATTENTION TO CRITICISM.

#8 Guest_Yildirim_*

Guest_Yildirim_*

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:43 AM

Keep any future text messages on your phone for future evidence. All calls will also be logged automatically by Turkcell. There was a thread on another forum on this subject and from that I'm aware one of the things you can do is open a case against this individual on the basis of harrasment, which you might want to consider if its becomes a protracted and constant thing. You should check with Turkcell to see what else can be done, including blocking the number - afaik the staff at the İstiklal Caddesi branch speak some English. If you still don't make any progress regarding this, let us know.

#9 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:37 AM

Thanks everyone for the input:) Abi, this is actually my second phone (not the blackberry but the iphone!) he rings on:) I never give my personal number out on the website or or to men I don't know. Needless to say, I've never had this problem with women. Of course they get turned on with reactions so what I will do initially is just to switch off the ringer (iphone is good because you can switch the ringer off at the side and it doesn't interrupt the call) in the evenings especially. Sue, I try to hide my Russian roots and language capabilities (such as they are) in Russian as for some reason they get even more turned on by that here. Don't know what this thing is about Russian here....If this loser hears my voice or even if I refuse the call it will egg him on. Yesterday he rang only once so I couldn't even get to the phone - rather like a naughty child ringing the doorbell and running away. Pathetic!

#10 lostinparadise

lostinparadise

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:04 AM

I occasionally get similar problems. I was able to block numbers on my old phone (samsung) but have not managed to work out how to do it on the new Motorola phone. Does anyone out there have the same make and know the way to block? Meanwhile, I add the number to my contact list under 'Weirdo' .... this will pop up when they ring so that I know not to answer. (It also makes me smile so I dont take the whole thing too seriously)

#11 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:16 AM

Here are a couple of links for iPhones link = the video you want is halfway down the pagelink

#12 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:53 PM

LiP what is the model number of your Motorola?

#13 benhalterci

benhalterci

Supreme Member

• Istanbul
  • 1420 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

He's still stalking my phone. I may ask the husband of one of my students to ring him and deal with him. He's a lovely Turikish man of 70 and very clever and authoritative. I'm sure he'd know exactly what to say to him and I also am thinking of threatening him with the police. This is the second time this has happened and from now on I will only teach women in turkey.

Edited by benhalterci, 26 October 2010 - 09:28 PM.

#14 lostinparadise

lostinparadise

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:35 PM

Abi - my Motorola model number is ROKR U9 according to the invoice. The instruction book just says U9. The only things I have found regarding blocking calls are to block all outgoing, or outgoing outside Turkey etc ...nothing to block an individual number.

#15 Abi

Abi

Puppy Guardian

• Çeşme
  • 11389 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

Oh that's not much use then. I did do a search on the internet be couldn't find anything.

#16 lostinparadise

lostinparadise

Supreme Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:33 PM

I've succeeded in finding the english language version of the user guide on the internet but cant find anything about blocking individual numbers in there either. Thanks for trying to help Abi.